Chapter Two: Deeper Into the Shrine!

Map

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chp. 2: Deeper Into the Shrine!

#2 Post by Inferno »

Azoth Al-Aziz, occultic priest:

The sorcerer priest was himself again after resting. Using forbidden syllables, he called upon Nodens the Uncaring for the power to alter Time Itself to unnaturally speed the healing process of the party's most injured, aging them each several days: "'Ai! 'Ai! Stell'Bsna Nafl' N'gha Gotha'aoog!"

CLW on Grindhelm: [1d8] = 4
CLW on Siavel: [1d8] = 1
CLW on Leomar: [1d8] = 6
CLW on Azoth: [1d8] = 6

It wasn't nearly enough. If Calto's healing wasn't either, they might consider a second round of rest and healing!

While waiting upon Calto, Azoth examined the model-map of Hell and pondered its significance in relation to the geography of this shrine.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Storm11 »

Bruno casts his small expert eye across the diorama, and begins checking the location for traps and such like.

Does anything look out of place here to the gnome, something in the picture that seems out of place.

He will also check the site for signs of unsafe walls and floors and ceilings.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabia stands there like a silent statue guarding mostly though inside the scene of the afterlife both a heaven and hell strike him as a sight not meant for man's eyes.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam; Human male Figther

Alex awoke and slowly stretched out; grimacing a bit at the bumps and nicks and various wounds he had accumulated; but quickly put on his gear and prepared to head out with his fellows. Looking over the.....diorama?.....map?.....whatever; just made him scratch his head in confusion. Figuring he'd let the smarter members of the party figure it out; he stood guard with his enchanted Dagger being casually flipped over in one hand while his other rested on the pommel of his broadsword. He kept a keen eye and ear open as he turned a slow circle, doing his best to ensure nothing was sneaking up on the party as their attention was riveted on the display....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siavel stares in wonder at the huge living diorama. He has never seen anything like it in all his long years.

This room is truly a work of art. Look at the details in the figures. This is truly a miracle to behold.

What the heck do we do in here?

Always one to take what looks like the safest route, Siavel moves down the hill and to the southwest. He walks down past the pebble path and takes a closer look at hunting scene behind the thorn hedge.

Sorry, I thought we came down the shaft and were at the door by the way the text read. My post should make sense now. :)
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by Coleridge »

Calto, Medicinal Druid

Calto will move down the hill and to the southwest, shadowing Slavel to have his back. Before he does though....

"This night's rest has brought me healing magics from Gaia. Let me help."

Cure serious wounds on Grindy
Cure Serous Wounds [2d8] = 2

Cure light wounds on Slavy
Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 3

Cure light wounds on Taby
url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... macid=6683]Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 2[/url]

Sigh, the dice are cruel today.
Grog, I think you might have missed his CLW on Leomar towards the end of chapter one before we bedded down?
Last edited by Coleridge on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marcanus_da_Lich
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Marcanus_da_Lich »

Grindhelm the Dwarf

After making sure everything was all set once he awoke, Grindhelm gives a nod in thanks of the healing and readies his axe for another day. Once in the room, Grindhelm follows suit in the larger male's steps of standing around to make sure nothing happens, keeping close eyes on anything that could come to life, thanks to his previous encounter with things reanimating.

I haven't played a dwarf much, how does the stone knowledge thing work again? I want him to do that.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Inferno »

Grog: Is Bruno still dangling from a rope as we all peer down at this thing?
No one's stepped onto the ground yet, correct?
Azoth said, "There is but one choice here. But how to make it?"

He would start simply. The cleric produced a coin and readied to drop it into the depictions of the regions of Elysium, unless anyone had another idea?
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

I should have mentioned before, the shaft descends down, opening where the circle is "above" the hill. The end of the shaft glows and acts as a "sun" lighting the chamber. The text block is dense I know, and best read a couple of times in consultation with the map.

Bruno was hanging by rope and descended onto the floor and would explore per his post. I'll say he checked and found no trap before setting foot. Then everyone else comes down and proceeds per their posts.

I haven't updated HP charts with heals but will do so Sunday. I'm traveling with little chunks of free time.

The diorama figures are six inches tall.

Tabai, you recognize much of the religious / cultural significance of the scenes. Archaic beliefs, but still generally understood as you are native to the area. So feel free to ask specific related questions.

Grindhelm, dwarfs can detect stone types, build, grades, concealments, that sort of thing. It's detailed in the race / dwarf section in PHB.

I'll reveal more of the scoring sheet after the fact :lol:

I'll follow on with IC post this weekend, should anyone like to refine or edit their posts prior. Thanks.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Opps! I should have read that closer. I've altered my post so it makes sense.

viewtopic.php?f=223&t=4833&p=209623#p209623

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Dram »

Kitchi - When he gets down the shaft he will check for any tracks for recent any movement. Let check for tracks before we move on.

Track check
Tracking underground roll [1d100] = 47

Tracking underground roll [1d100]
(Underground-Ranger must of Observed the creature to be tracked within 3 turns Along normal Passage/room 65%,passes through trap door or stairs 55%,Trap door 45%,Chimney or concealed door 35%,Through Secret door 25%)
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

Rested and healed of some of their past injuries, the adventurers descend the shaft deeper down into the Shrine of Tamoachan. They exit into a macabre fascinating chamber depicting an underworld in diorama. Tabai recognizes it as "Mictlan," which in the old religion is Land of the Dead. The diorama figures are about 6" tall, and everything else to that scale. The adventurers tower above the dioramas like storm giants.

Bruno the gnome thief-acrobat goes first, hanging suspended from rope to examine the floor for traps. He finds none. The rest of the party descends down to the top of the hill in the middle of the room. Besides the different areas of the dioramas, there are doors to the southeast and in the west wall.

Tabai, Blade Rain, Leomar and Grindhelm stand guard at the top of the hill. Kitchi the ranger examines the ground for tracks but sees none. Azoth of Nodens Faith tosses a coin to the marsh diorama to the north, the chasm to the south, the sands to the west, and ice to the east (see map.) The coins plop down as they should and remain, the environment around them calm. The cleric is not familiar with the real geography around the Shrine, but doubts it has the diversity of geography that this diorama chamber has.

Bruno proceeds down the hill looking for traps and anything out of place. It's hard to tell the latter, given the exotic nature of the diorama chamber. The gnome feels a push from behind but stays on his feet. He sees no one. The thief circumnavigates the hill and finds no traps. He moves along the west pebble path toward the west door, intending on checking the walls from that starting point (next round.)

Siavel the elven enchanter, with Calto the druid behind him, proceeds southwest down the hill toward the west-side pebble path. Half-way down they both feel a distinct push behind their knees. Calto retains his footing. Siavel falls and tumbles down the small hill to the base at the pebble path (1 HP damage.) He looks up the hill and sees no one to blame. As they cross the sands to get a look beyond the thorn hedge each gets a bloody nose (1 HP damage.) Siavel and Calto see behind the hedge a diorama of a grassy plain where men hunt antelope and deer. Their noses are still bleeding.

Map
- Siavel roll [1d20] = 5. No.
- Calto save [1d20] = 17. Yes.
- Storm11 requested I make Bruno's thief rolls and not post them. So they've been made, but I won't put them here.
- Bruno save [1d20] = 12. Yes.
- The various cure spells have been accounted for. HP chart: viewtopic.php?p=180013#p180013
- Siavel can select new spells for this new day.

Last edited by Grognardsw on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coleridge
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Coleridge »

Do you need to roll to see if Calto takes damage since he followed Slavel?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Inferno »

Seeing the challenges the others are having navigating the netherworldly hellscape, the dark priest unfurls his prayer rug with a sharp crack, and boards it.

Sitting in the lotus position, he flies his carpet low to the ground (or mountain), directly to the Elysian territories and hovers there momentarily, to see if he suffers any ill effects. He'll touch nothing for now.

The flying prayer rug requires intense concentration. Azoth quietly prays, " 'Ai! 'Ai! Gotha! R'luh! Ftaghu! Uaaah!"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Dram »

Kitchi- Follow's behind Bruno about 10ft. Bruno let me know if I need to stop.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Coleridge wrote:Do you need to roll to see if Calto takes damage since he followed Slavel?
Yes, thanks. I edited the post.

Siavel can choose new spells for the day. I believe the others already have.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by max_vale »

Alex 'Blade Rain' Vam, Human male Fighter

Alex sees Calto and Siavel trip and fall down and he calls out; "Hey, you two alright?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Storm11 »

Bruno will continue his investigations, giving a silent thumbs up to the ranger
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Tabai makes some signs to try and communicate land of the dead somehow so the others understand him attempting to use some of the hand signals that were taught to him.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (1e)”