Act IV: Pandora's Planet

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Act IV: Pandora's Planet

#41 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

The Edosian scientist dutifully reports his tricorder findings to the landing party.
"Gentlemen, our goal lies to the south-southwest," he adds impassively.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by rredmond »

Cmdr. Endilev, Engineering Officer

"Agreed," Endilev says, as he also shares his information, particularly that of the two sets of, likely pirate, crew members heading south into the jungle. "The sooner we head out the better."
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The doctor nods in acknowledgment and moves with the others to start preceding south-southwest.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: In the jungle - south of the landing site
Stardate 2271.3.24: 0940h

The party forms up and follows the most recent set of tracks heading south, into the foliage. Even after a day's experience of hiking through the planet's unique jungle habitat, the party still finds themselves having to move slowly and with caution. They weave in and out of the strange equipment-disintegrating tar pools, and watch for unknown animal movements. Tricorders continue to scan in all directions for enemies or clues.

Soon they are pushing through a copse of gigantic plants, towering over them nine meters tall and capped with strange flowers. Each flower is easily the size of a humanoid; most of them hang down like silver bluebells, but a few are a muted grey and shaped a little like Earth's exotic bird-of-paradise. In the middle of this flower-wood the landing party stumbles upon a grizzly scene: the footprints lead to a corpse that lies twisted on the ground, pale and sapped of life like dried-out husk. The body is mangled, with large flesh wounds in the torso, and one side of his face lies in a small tar pool. The ensign in the lead cautiously approaches and informs everyone that the body is human, wearing one of the pirate crew's uniforms. The tricorders pick up no life signs or human physiology coming from the body. The upper stalks of the giant flowers swing lazily back and forth in the wind, casting an eerie light back and forth on the scene.

The dead man:

The tricorders still pick up a faint trace of the second pair of footprints, which show that there was some sort of violent scuffle around the dead body. The tracks then disappear off to the west, out of the copse, at a much wider gait than before.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Inferno »

"Mutiny," the Edosian calmly observes beneath the lazily swaying flower stalks. "Our quarry have turned on each other."

Having examined the area with his tricorder, Nadix tries to identify the number of prints heading west. Then he scans for Slaver radiation signatures from that direction.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by rredmond »

Commander Endilev, Engineering Officer:

"Or the flora isn't as placid as it seems," Endilev keeps a cautious eye on the plants, lifting his weapon almost unconsciously.

He follows the SO's lead in scanning the area with his tricorder, trying to help identify the number of pirates that let this scuffle alive. Then he scans for radiation signatures in all directions.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The doctor move closer to the corpse to examine it more in depth. He scans the body with his tricorder to get a better impression of cause of death and if any residue has been left by the weapon that cause the damage.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Starbeard »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth uses his tricorder to scan for microscopic traces of synthetic clothing material, which show that a single person fled the scene. He then scans in search of Slaver alloy readings, and finds that the tricorder points him directly to the dead figure before them! He notes again that the human body produces no life signs that the tricorder can pick up.

Commander Endilev takes his own engineering tricorder and confirms that two entities appear to have entered the scene, and one appears to have left. Signs of planetary radiation continue to point vaguely south-southwest, deep into the jungle. He keeps his weapon raised, eyeing the eerie plant life suspiciously.

Dr. Ryerson inspects the body with Ensign Rodney, who is carrying a normal hand phaser. His medical scanner fails to register that a body is even there, but the figure does not seem to be wearing a Slaver alloy-modified energy shield belt like Centurion Carlax had worn. His chest is torn open in three places; his quick visual inspection gives him the impression that they were produced by deep puncture wounds. The wounds are dry, but not cauterized.

As the doctor and his assistant examine the body, they both begin to feel a strange sensation overtaking them...

(Dr. Ryerson needs to make a Luck Save modified by Mentality: 3D6, try to get ≤ LK + MN modifier...)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Inferno »

The Edosian quietly reports, "This man is wearing Slaver technology." Nadix patiently waits to search the corpse until the doctor and the ensign complete their medical examination, unaware of what is transpiring within them.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

Luck Save modified by Mentality
Luck Save [3d6-2] = 9-2 = 7

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Starbeard »

Ensign Rodney giggles to himself. Dr. Ryerson isn't sure what he's laughing at, but for some reason he finds it funny too. The pair are nearly overcome with a strange and euphoric happiness. "You know," says Rodney, "this poor guy was probably just wanting to take a nap! This is a real nice spot for a nap and a picnic, don't you think?" The two of them are nearly convinced that a leisurely rest is in order, but something gnaws at the back of their minds. They aren't thinking straight, this isn't rational behavior.

Just then, brief movement is spotted high above in the trees, causing the manifold giant flowers to rustle all about them. Is that giant grey bird of paradise turning toward them?

Ensign's Rodney's saving throw:
Ensign's LK [3d6] = 10, MN [3d6] = 11
Ensign's LK+MN save (10): [3d6] = 10

Both characters pass the saving throw.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by rredmond »

Commander Endilev, Engineering Officer:

"Above!" Endilev calls as he brings his plasma gun to bear, and ensures it's ready to fire. Whatever attacks he wants to be able to shoot first.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Ha ha ha, look up there. That huge bird is going to eat us, ha, ha, ha and that's not funny, ha ha."
The doctor hunched over holding his gut tries to move out of the way. His moment is very slow from all the laughing and the lack of fight or flight instinct.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Inferno »

Ever curious, the Edosian welcomes this opportunity to observe human behavior in the field. "Fascinating," he murmurs at the giggling officers.

Then the Andoran shouts and Nadix's third hand draws his phaser as he coolly looks up at the towering flower.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Starbeard »

Ensign Rodney follows Dr. Ryerson, both stumbling drunkenly away from the scene. The movement helps to clear their heads—and then, with sudden ferocity, the mammoth flower strikes out from nine meters above like a serpent's head! The tip of the flower tapers into a long, lance-like tip, intent on skewering the men before they can escape!

For Endilev and Nadix, please make attack rolls (1D6 minus DEX modifier), and Initiation rolls (2D6 plus DEX modifier; you were prepared to fire and so are getting a +1D bonus).

For Dr. Ryerson, please make an Initiation roll (1D6 plus DEX modifier) for your move away from the plant creature.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Inferno »

"Gentlemen, above you!" Nadix calls loudly but unexcitedly.
"Stun affects the physiology of the nervous system. Heat might trigger photosynthesis, or set this forest alight. Perhaps disrupt is our most effective option, Commander," the scientist calmly advises as he fires upon the prodigious, predatory plant; phaser set to "disrupt."

Initiative: [2d6+4] = 7+4 = 11
Phaser to hit: [1d6-4] = 2-4 = -2
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev, XO

Pew, pew, Cmdr Endilev thinks to himself in response to the Science Officer as he raises the plasma gun. I'm not sure what sort of settings the plasma gun has, but if there's a disrupt Endilev will use it. Whatever the setting, he most certainly fires at Audrey Jr. aka ferocious flower!

Experimental plasma gun to hit: [1d6-1] = 5-1 = 4

Initiative: [2d6+1] = 11+1 = 12

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Nun yeh aa!" the doctor exclaims incoherently as his tries to dodge the incoming plant creature.
Initiation roll
[1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: In the jungle - south of the landing site
Stardate 2271.3.24: 0941h

Rodney and the Doctor stumble away from the attack, but the carnivorous plant is too quick. If it weren't for the instant barrage of phaser fire coming from their companions, they would surely have pinned to the earth like bugs on an entomologist's display board.

Nadix coolly suggests adjusting phaser settings to disrupt, and the ensigns follow suit. He leads the attack with a well-placed beam to the flower's "head," scorching and breaking apart large pieces of photosynthetic flesh, but the force of the blow barely slows the plant's momentum.

Endilev feels the raw power of the Romulan plasma pistol swell in his grip, and for a moment has to steady the thing with both hands to keep his aim. He presses the trigger and is shocked by the weapon's forceful kick: a white-hot ball of blinding death flashes forward and plows straight through the giant flower, leaving a large hole in the side of its flower head. The engineer immediately intuits that he could probably let this weapon charge for longer periods of time (say, 2-3 rounds or more) to create an even more devastating discharge, though he isn't sure whether the Romulans bothered to build any safeguards against overloading the weapon for too long...

The creature falls to the ground harmlessly just behind the Doctor and Rodney, its needle-like flower head head piercing the jungle floor with a deadly thunk! It twitches, almost lifelike—or is it a simple kinetic function brought by physical trauma?—as the rifle-armed ensigns fire their beams into the body and incinerate the plant.

As the Doctor and Rodney make their way back to the group, they sees at least two more grey flowers sliding about in the treetops high above them, behind the others. "What are they?" cries the bewildered ensign.

Actions?

Rolls
Phaser pistols receive a further -2 to initiation rolls. Phaser rifles take -3. The plasma gun takes -4.
Plant initiation [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5
Ens. Rodney initiation [1d6] = 3 (-5 DX= -2)
2x rifle redshirts [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5, 1x pistol redshirts [1d6] = 1 (-2 DX = -1)

Actions
1. Nadix (init. 9) needs 6 or less to hit (DEX 16 at close range): hit!
Nadix close range disrupt damage [3d6] = 13 - [1d6] = 5 (8 damage)
2. Endilev (init. 8) needs 5 or less to hit (DEX 13 at close range): hit!
Plasma gun damage (1 round of charging): [3d6] = 12 - [1d6] = 1 (11 damage)
3. Flower (init. 5) can't attack, as it flops to the ground
4. Redshirt with rifle (init. 2) shoots, needing 4 or less to hit (DX 10 at close range): hit!
Rifle 1 shot [1d6] = 4
Rifle close range damage [4d6] = 10 - [1d6] = 4 (6 damage, killed it!)
5. Dr. Ryerson (init. 2) runs!
6. Redshirt with rifle (init. 1) shoots without effect! (DX 10)
7. Ensign Rodney (init. -2) runs! (DX 4)
8. Redshirt with pistol (init. -3) shoots without effect! (DX 7)
  • Gareb Endilev — DX 13 (+1), CT 15/15 — plasma pistol (10/12)
  • Nadix Ar Eth — DX 16 (+4), CT 12/12 — phaser II (20/24)
  • Dr. Ned Ryerson — DX 13 (+1), CT 12/12 — phaser II (24/24)
  • Ensign 1 — DX 10, CT 13/13 — phaser rifle (26/32)
  • Ensign 2 — DX 10, CT 12/12 — phaser rifle (26/32)
  • Ensign 3 — DX 7 (-2), CT 15/15 — phaser II (20/24)
  • Ensign Rodney — DX 4 (-5), MN 11, LK 10, CT 10/10 — phaser II (24/24)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Inferno »

Starbeard wrote:"What are they?" cries the bewildered ensign.
"Local flora, indigenous to Coxa II," Nadix replies coolly as he fires at the ferocious flower nearest him. "Remain calm, ensign. They appear susceptible to phaser fire."

Initiative: [1d6+4] = 2+4 = 6, Phaser to hit: [1d6-4] = 1-4 = -3
I think these mods are correct?
DM:

Player: