[Archived] Act 3 — Shadow of the Hunted

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Archived] Act 3 — Shadow of the Hunted

#1 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: Escaping into orbit
Stardate 2271.3.22: 2330h

…Continuing the adventure from Act II: The Gods of Coxa II.

On the ascent into orbit, Gareb shows a small example of the same strange devices that have been popping up on Coxa II; of unknown origin and material, invisible to detection by sensors, and producing technological effects otherwise impossible. This particular device, he explains with the imaginative metaphor of a Star Fleet engineer, was snuck inside the engine's antimatter converters and worked like a blood clot, soaking up all of the converted energy into itself and rendering the engines useless. As they ponder this phenomenon, they notice that the Romulan's broad belt is made of the same strange substance, and likewise does not respond to sensor readings.

Meanwhile, the three "guests" are chastised for their expected collusion with the Romulan, and interrogated further. "Yes, we knew there were Romulans. They were—are—part of our party. The Federation would never have funded the expedition, so we turned to bodies who would." They explain with frustration how they had attempted to procure the Orion Space Syndicate as sponsors, but found them to be only interested in slaving and racketeering. Soon they were approached by the Romulan Star Empire, who offered funding in their expeditions in exchange for the exclusive right to purchase their research.

"Aside from the two of us," the doctors say, "we've chartered out a ship with four pirates, and the Romulans have supplied us with two 'advisors.'" The last word is mentioned with some bitterness, and the detainee Norman takes some offense as well. "Hey now, who're you calling pirates?"

"Our goal," finishes Leigh Moore, "is to locate what I believe is an actual outpost of the very Slaver Empire itself, resting intact in those jungles for millions of years! You've already seen some of the technology that has been scattered around the planet—just imagine what else we can learn if we found the outpost."

Posts by Wednesday, please.

Crew Status:
CAPT Dillon Wyse — CT 11/11, phaser energy 9/9
CDR Gareb Endilev — CT 15/15, phaser energy 9/9
CDR Nadix Ar Eth — CT 12/12, phaser A energy 9/9, phaser B energy 9/9
LCDR Dale Collins — CT 11/11, phaser energy 9/9
LT Dr. Ned Ryerson — CT 12/12, phaser energy 9/9
ENS Lou Abbot — CT 12/15 (-1 DX), phaser energy 9/9
ENS Bud Costello — CT 0/8 vaporized

Current prisoners:
Dr. Leigh Moore — CT 9/9
Dr. James Silliphant — CT 10/10
Norman Meston — CT 14/14
Last edited by Starbeard on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Back in Space

#2 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Abbot listens intently, fascinated by the references to the Slaver Empire and their powerful technology. He's never heard of such a thing.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Inferno »

Has Nadix ever heard of the Slaver Empire? Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins; Helmsman

Dale had piloted the shuttle back to the Janus in almost a robotic manner as his mind and emotions tried to reconcile the fact that his hasty action had led to poor Ensign Costello's demise.

Back onboard ship; the Helmsman just couldn't shake his feelings of shame and guilt and he awkwardly approached Ensign Abbot and the Captain ignoring the conversation going on around him and said; "Captain....back on the planet...I....I didn't think my actions through. I'm responsible for Ensign Costello's death and I...I...I'm turning myself in for disciplinary action, sir."

Looking sorrowfully at the Security Ensign, Collins adds; "I....I know he was your friend Ensign....my most sincere apologies".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Wyse mentions to the engineer that it might be a good idea to confiscate the black belt and other items off of the new prisoner before he comes around again. He motions for Abbot to help, ordering the dangerous enemy to be tightly restrained.

He ponders the words of both doctors for a very long time before finally speaking.

How many stories throughout the history of mankind start out with good intentions and then end in utter tragedy? What do you presume these Romulans will do with this super technology? Feed the hungry? House the homeless? Another long pause for thinking and affect.

Still, I wouldn't mind getting to something as important as that before our adversaries do for a change.

He looks to his fellow crewmen for input or suggestions and then sets up a future meeting for discussion on the topic.

Once safely back on the ship......

The captain pulls the commander aside when they get to an area free of any crewmates.

Now quit being a :EDIT: Dale! There isn't one person on the away team that thinks the Ensigns death was your fault. Including you! Do not blame yourself, and for gods sake don't you dare enter anything about it being your fault in your reports or logs. That's an order!

Now, let's get back to work and forget about this whole thing, shall we?

Edited due to bad language and bad taste.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

Ned hovers over the unconscious Romulan. This is the first time he has had a chance to examine on in person. He runs his medical tricorder over the Romulans body collection as much information about the aliens physiology. "Incredible, there are so many biological similarities to Vulcans." With his reading he prepares a shot to sedate the the Romulan incase it needed.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

Nadix secures the Romulan's Rod of Life-like belt as he calmly continues interrogating the detainees. "How many Romulans are there? Where are they on the planet's surface? What progress has your expedition made in unearthing these artifacts?" he asked, as he glanced at the belt.

"Do the Romulans have a ship in the vicinity of Coxa II? Were they also mistaken for gods by the Coxans? What do you believe they will do next?

"Your culpability in the murder of a Star Fleet officer will be alleviated in the eyes of a judge, I expect, should you fully cooperate."
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Starbeard »

Orbiting Coxa II
Stardate 2271.3.22: 2345h

Dale dolefully guides the Minerva out into a low orbit and begins opening a channel to the Janus, unable to make eye contact with the others, least of all the Captain or Ensign Abbot. "Opening channels now, sir. I'll… let you know when we get contact… ."

In the back of the shuttle Nadix removes the trange belt from the Romulan, whose life signs then immediately spring up on Dr. Ryerson's medical tricorder. The doctor proceeds to make some invaluable recordings on Romulan physiology to his device, too absorbed in the thrill of research to consider the obvious commendation he will receive from Star Fleet's Medical Division.

The continuing conversation with the archaeological team piques Nadix's interest. So little is known about the prehistoric Slaver Empire, but he recalls what he can.
Please roll 4D6 against Mentality to recall more. Aboard the Janus the computer can be accessed to give a -3 bonus to the roll.
Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.38.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.38.57 PM.png (95.92 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
The detainees are duly chastised by the Captain and Nadix, while Mr. Abbot looks on in amazement, picturing in his mind's eye the technological wonders that must lie dormant on Coxa II. They look unable to defend their mercenary actions in the face of authority, and fortunately for them, they do not have to. "The are two of us," replies the Romulan weakly, awaking from of his temporary coma. He stays Dr. Ryerson with his hand, "No, I will be fine. You have no doubt disarmed me, and I see that my belt is gone. I am no danger to you now. And seeing as you have these humans to corroborate my story, there is no use in lying."

Sitting upright, he formally introduces himself in a stoic and proud fashion. "I am Carlax, a Centurion of the vessel Agitator. I was ordered by my Commander, who oversees the operation on the planet, to disable your craft and bring you in for questioning—I am afraid the Commander underestimated the combative zeal of the Federation. As there were roles for seven deities to be filled in the village, but eight of us in the expedition, the Commander has overseen the operation in hiding, while I played the embarrassing yet convenient role of the 'Devil Thrall' of the gods."

He looks expectantly at Nadix and Gareb, the two 'alien' crew members of the team. "Which one of your non-human soldiers was given the same undignified yoke, I wonder?"

"Should be picking up a signal on the Janus now, sir, once we pass around to the other side of the planet," chimes in Mr. Collins.

Posts by Saturday, please.

Crew Status:
CAPT Dillon Wyse — CT 11/11, phaser energy 9/9
CDR Gareb Endilev — CT 15/15, phaser energy 9/9
CDR Nadix Ar Eth — CT 12/12, phaser energy 9/9
LCDR Dale Collins — CT 11/11, phaser energy 9/9
LT Dr. Ned Ryerson — CT 12/12, phaser energy 9/9
ENS Lou Abbot — CT 13/15, phaser energy 9/9
NCC-805/2 Minverva shuttlecraft — stashed 7 energy shield belts, 8 spare phaser I's

Current prisoners:
Dr. Leigh Moore — CT 9/9
Dr. James Silliphant — CT 10/10
Norman Meston — CT 14/14
Centurion Carlax — CT 7/11 (-1 DX)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Inferno »

Ancient history outside Edos is not Nadix's strength.
The Edosian officer dutifully and respectfully continues his interrogation of the human detainees and the proud, noble Romulan centurion who seems to be in charge among them.

"Carlax, Where is your Commander hiding?
Where is the Romulan vessel? What kind of vessel is it?
With your mission disrupted, what will your Commander do now? Abort and return home?
What progress has your expedition made with artifacts to date?
What other properties, beyond that of a personal cloaking device, does this 'Belt of Life' afford?"

Later, away from the prisoners, Nadix indicates the Romulan's alien belt and says, "Captain. It's possible this device may be of use to us."
Once aboard the Janus, Nadix will carefully analyze it in the ship's Sciences Lab, remembering what happened to their tricorders the last time they scanned this technology.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Starbeard »

Nadix recalls what he can about the Slaver Empire, but cannot bring much more to mind. He feels confident that the ship's computer aboard the Janus should have some extra information.

Carlax scowls dispassionately in response to further questioning. "Perhaps the warriors of your Federation have no honor, but it is not so within the Romulan Star Empire. I do not grovel before my captors, but neither will I betray my Commander or my mission. You may kill me if you wish."

Collins urgently interrupts. "A signal's coming through from the Janus! Patching through now." A second or two of white noise rises from the pilot console's speaker system, which fades into the voice of Ms. Chau, the ship's Communications Officer. "…Minerva come in… Janus to Minerva, come in… Captain, we've been attacked… major damage to the lower warp engine, Decks 5-8 are suffering structural damage… attacked by an unknown cloaked vessel… Captain, come in…"

The Captain works with Collins to gain signal strength and confirm Lt. Commander Chau's report: the ship was assaulted by a cloaked vessel not long after the landing party descending past communicator range. The relief crew put up a fight and drove the ship off with minor damage, but not before suffering major strikes to the lower warp engine and Decks 5-8 in the process. Crew casualties are still being reported. Chief Gareb goes blue at the thought of his precious Engineering Deck suffering damage, and Dr. Ryerson recalls that his medical facilities are all on Deck 7. The Romulan captive breathes in deeply and victoriously.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Abbot starts sweating. Things aren't going well. He wonders what they're going to do next.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

Dr. Ryerson requests the causality report from the acting physician on board. What is the state of sickbay and the wounded? Any loss of life or equipment?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Starbeard »

Dr. Ryerson is patched through to sickbay, where he welcomes the sound of Nurse Tekla's calm Vulcan voice. She informs him that the ship has suffered approximately 20.6% casualties, amounting to 12 dead and 23 wounded—including more than half of the medical personnel. Commander Parra, the navigation officer who was given the conn when the away team left, is dead, and the ship's Tellarite security officer Vek has assumed command, refusing to have her wounds treated.

The sickbay is currently 80% functional, allowing facilities for 12 wounded—the other 11 are being treated on the ground with whatever they can find. Tekla's current compliment are two nurses and three untrained science crew who have been assigned as an emergency measure.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

Ned goes over Nurse Tekla report and informs her he will be back on board to take control very shortly. He commends her on her professionalism and initiative. He finished with letting her know her actions with go into his official report.

"Computer start recording Chief Medical Officer's Log. Begin.

LT Dr. Ned Ryerson, Chief Medical Officer, Medical Log Report, Stardate 2271.3.22

While enroute to the ship from our exploration on Coxa II we have discovered that a Romulan vessel has attacked the Janus. Casualties are high with 20.6% casualties, 12 dead and 23 wounded. Among the injured or dead is half of my medical personnel. The commanding officer Navigation Officer Commander Parra has been reported deceased by Nurse Tekla. Security Officer Vek has assumed command. Sickbay and engineering were the hardest hit. Sickbay is currently 80% functional, hosting 12 wounded. Nurse Tekla and two other nurses have secured three untrained science officers to assist them in sickbay. A full list of injured and deceased is listed at the end of this report. It is my recommendation that we head for the nearest starbase for repairs and resupply for provisions and personnel.

Supplemental
While on Coxa II we had one casualty. Ensign Bud Costello was vaporized with a Romulan Disrupter. His death certificate is attached to this log. All personal effects are to be gathered and presented to the next of kin.

Computer end log. Forward to Captain Dillon Wyse of the Starship Janus and Starfleet medical records."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Starbeard »

Aboard the USS Janus
Stardate 2271.3.23: 2400h

Nurse Tekla thanks Dr. Ryerson for his report and signs out to get back to work.

The shocking news from the Janus dampens whatever success the party had down on the planet. With no way of staying in contact, the ship could have been blown straight out of the sky and they would have never known until it was far too late.

Captain Wyse curses his impulsiveness and slams his fist against the console, making Collins jump in surprise. "That's the last time I leave the bridge just to see a new planet!" He sinks disconsolately into the copilot's chair. "I'll be lucky if Star Fleet even lets me back on a bridge after this."

He continues stay in contact with the T'Leia, the Vulcan officer who has just relieved Mai Chau at the communications chair. She talks the Minerva into a docking approach, and they all watch their beloved ship limping in space through the view screen with mixed emotions. Three huge black scorch marks cut deeply into the saucer section, the deck lights around those sections flickering erratically. The lower warp engine is dead—colorless, cracked and spewing lethal gasses into the vacuum of space.

Helmsman Collins maneuvers the shuttle behind the ship and nudges forward into the open landing bay. They touch down and disembark into the cramped bay, where they are greeted by flashing red lights and the monotonous wailing of the emergency klaxon bell. A single ensign is standing by to escort them. He looks surprised to see the detainees, but quickly regains his composure and leads them through the side corridors that haven't been locked down to seal off the bulkhead. Gareb rushes off to engineering.

The bridge is intact save for an exploded console station or two. They are greeted by, among others, Lt. Commander T'Leia and the stout and spirited Commander Vek, her arm dangling in a sling and dried orange blood caked on her face. "Captain! We've lost Mr. Parra. We had briefly lost shipboard communications and he was on his way to engineering when the hidden ship attacked agai—" The whole bridge freezes as Carlax and the pirate archaeologists are led onto the bridge. Most of them seem unsure what to make of the Vulcan, obviously not recognizing the uniform, until Vek exclaims with newfound understanding, "Romulans! This far into Federations space?!"

Captain Wyse puts on his best game face and takes charge of the situation. "Vek, you've done well, I'm making a note in my log. Now get yourself to sickbay." He grabs two nearby ensigns. "You: come with me, we're escorting these 'guests' to the brig, then I want a tour of the ship with a detailed damage report."

"Mr. Nadix, you have the conn. Dale," he finishes, "…you'd better come with us. I'm going to have to fill in a report on what happened down there with Costello." Dale hangs his head and follows them out the door.

Big post today. Next GM post on Saturday.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Inferno »

"Aye, Captain." Nadix's silent introspective mourning, which overtook him entirely upon seeing the damaged Janus and hearing the grave casualty reports, ends.

The Edosian officer slowly sits in the captain's chair and says, "Mr. de Mattio, please commence continual scanning with ship's sensors. With a Romulan centurion held captive onboard the Janus, the cloaked Romulan warship will likely remain in the vicinity.

"Mr. T'Leia, status report please."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by FantasyChic »

Lieutenant Commander T'Leia, Communications Officer

T'Leia stands at attention when the others enter the ship. She recently took over the Communications station, but she was brought up to speed on the past events.

The Vulcan woman stood tall, made taller by the heeled boots she wore along with her uniform dress. Her long, dark hair was held back with a hairband, the same color as her dress.

It might have seemed weird to the others that a Vulcan was in charge of Communications. Being of the race that, when communicative, were thought to be cold and heartless, but she naturally felt at home when she worked on things like Diplomacy, Linguistics, and History. She figured that they needed someone who wouldn't show emotions when talking or communicating. Battles aren't always won with a phaser.

She looks over to Commander Nadix, her gaze meeting his, "Most of what you see is in the report. Damage and injuries have been noted and prepared." She walked over to the Communications station and sat down, "I am prepared to establish communication with whoever you deem is necessary."
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

"Thank you, Lt. Commander. Please monitor all known Romulan frequencies. Their command structure is quite pronounced. It's possible the Romulan Commander will attempt to report to his superiors," said Nadix calmly.

"Helmsman, status report please. Do you have power to weapons and shields?
"And what, if anything, was learned of our opponents during the battle, please? Did you glimpse their ship when they fired? Did the Janus manage to damage their ship?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Starbeard »

Mr. Barry at the helm responds to Nadix, "Weapons and shields are operational, sir, but we've lost half of our power. Phasers are powered, but to power up photons we may have to reduce shields."
The ship currently produces 25 energy of its original capacity of 45 (20 per warp nacelle + 5 for the impulse drives). The current ship's readout is at the bottom of the post.

Phaser banks (x2): charged with up to 2 energy each, which is stored until fired or powered down. Phaser banks can be overloaded with extra energy (+1 or +2) to produce +50%/+100% more damage, but with risk.

Photon torpedos: a torpedo can be charged with 5 energy, and once charged it will continue to draw 5 energy at all times until fired or deactivated. The ship can only load one torpedo at a time.

Tractor beam: draws 1-5 energy when in use (user decides how much power to use).

Shields: draws 1 energy per 20% of shield strength, in each of 4 quarters that surround the ship (fore, aft, port, starboard). All shields may be boosted to as much as 200%, but anything beyond 100% can damage the systems with increasing risk.

Tactical (impulse) speed: rated 0-10, and costing 2 energy per speed rating.

Basic essentials (generally on at all times): 1 energy is drawn for basic life support, sensors, computer, transporters, etc.
Dr. Ryerson forwards his personal log to the ship's computer, and makes a recommendation to the rest of the crew. "It is my recommendation that we head for the nearest starbase for repairs and resupply for provisions and personnel." He leaves for sickbay, where he finds chaos. Nurse Tekla and her orderlies are trying to monitor a number of wounded patients, Commander Vek being the most recent to arrive. The ones closest to death are on beds, and the rest are huddled against the walls. Smoking shards of shrapnel litter the floor.

Back on the bridge, the young navigator next to helmsman Barry describes the enemy vessel. "It had civilian registration, with a record of smuggling infractions and suspected piracy," she says. "At first it seemed like our sensors hadn't picked it up because the planet was in the way, but it had already attacked us and cloaked again before we could respond. We were ready the second time, though." At the science station, a stored scan of the pirate vessel shows one phaser bank, two crude disruptors and an old-fashioned nuclear warhead launcher. The Janus definitely has the advantage in firepower, but the pirate ship can still overwhelm the Janus if it gets within very close range.

T'Leia stands poised to tackle whatever problem comes her way. Now that communications are back online, Nadix requests that she monitor for Romulan frequencies. She goes over the logs and realizes that no subspace messages were sent back to Starbase 13, the nearest port of call, before communications were destroyed; now that they are back online, she estimates that it would take 10 hours for a message to reach Starbase 13. The Janus would normally take a little over three days to travel there itself at its maximum safe cruising speed, but under current power it would take something closer to seven days.

Ensign Abbot, forgotten in the back of the room, suddenly realizes that he is still holding onto the Romulan captive's strange equipment.

The ship's chronometer softly chimes that midnight has past aboard ship. Everyone has been pulling an extra long shift, and the strain of the mission is beginning to take its toll.

Next update on Wednesday.

USS Janus
Engines: warp A (20/20), warp B (0/20), impulse (5/5)
Hull CT: 14/18
Phasers (A) and (B): charged (2) and charged (2)
Photon torpedos: not charged
Shields: all faces at 100% (20e draw)
Tractor beam: offline
Speed: 0
Basics: online (1e draw)
Energy Spent: 21/25
Phaser banks: 1-2 to charge, stored until used/deactivated. Can be overloaded with 1-2 extra energy for +50%/+100% damage, with risk.

Photons: 5 energy to charge, once charged will draw 5 energy until fired/deactivated. The ship can only load one torpedo at a time.

Tractor beam: draws 1-5 energy when in use (user decides how much power to use).

Shields: draws 1 energy per 20% of shield strength, in each of 4 quarters that surround the ship (fore, aft, port, starboard). All shields may be boosted to as much as 200%, but anything beyond 100% can damage the systems with increasing risk.

Tactical (impulse) speed: rated 0-10, and costing 2 energy per speed rating.

Basic essentials (generally on at all times): 1 energy is drawn for basic life support, sensors, computer, transporters, etc.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

He grabs two nearby ensigns. "You: come with me, we're escorting these 'guests' to the brig, then I want a tour of the ship with a detailed damage report."
Ensign Hardy glances at Ensign Laurel.

"Yes sir!" They snap in unison to the Captain.

As they leave, Ensign Abbot steps forward. "Captain, what should I do with the Romulan's equipment?"

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”