[Archived] Act 1 — U.S.S. Janus interior

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Bridge (Deck 1)

#61 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Thank you Mr. Collins. Mr. Nadix, please verify that there are no lingering radiation along the hull." Dillon once again flips on the communicator on the arm of the command chair. "Mr. Endilev, what are you reading on the power coils?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:
ybn1197 wrote:Captain Dillon Wyse
"Thank you Mr. Collins. Mr. Nadix, please verify that there are no lingering radiation along the hull."
"Aye, captain," Nadix said as he looked into his station's sensory viewer to scan the ship's outer hull for trace radiation signatures.
Kinda like this...
star-trek_spock_bridge-viewer.jpg
star-trek_spock_bridge-viewer.jpg (100.29 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Bridge, bridge, Do you copy? Damn it." A young female voice is heard in the background. "What's the matter Doctor?"
"The comm is broken. I thought I told you to have engineering fix it."
"Again?" The female voice now becomes cleared and more pronounced. "I did doctor. A repair crew just came a few days ago and replaced the unit."
Thud! Thud! is heard over the intercom. "Well it's broke again."
"Did you get the button stuck again? I don't think hitting it is going to do any good."
More thumping noise is heard over the intercom.
"Bridge, Bridge, oh never mind. I'll do it the old fashion way. If you need me I'll be on the bridge. Send up a smoke signal if you need me."
"Yes Doctor."
The sound of the sick bay door can be heard opening and closing, followed by clicking of heels on the metal deck which gets progressively louder. "It's amazing such a brilliant doctor having so much trouble with a simple piece of technology."
- Click -

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins, human male, Helmsman

Noticing that the warp power going to the engines begins to bleed drastically, almost like a tractor beam; Dale switches over to Impulse Power and breathes a sigh of relief that the Janus continues to move in the correct direction.

"Captain; I had to switch to Impulse Power because the Warp Power from the engines began to bleed off in a dramatic fashion; almost exactly like a tractor beam."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Inferno »

DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Ryerson:
"Bridge, bridge, Do you copy? Damn it." A young female voice is heard in the background. "What's the matter Doctor?"
"The comm is broken. I thought I told you to have engineering fix it."
"Again?" The female voice now becomes cleared and more pronounced. "I did doctor. A repair crew just came a few days ago and replaced the unit."
Thud! Thud! is heard over the intercom. "Well it's broke again."
"Did you get the button stuck again? I don't think hitting it is going to do any good."
More thumping noise is heard over the intercom.
"Bridge, Bridge, oh never mind. I'll do it the old fashion way. If you need me I'll be on the bridge. Send up a smoke signal if you need me."
"Yes Doctor."
The sound of the sick bay door can be heard opening and closing, followed by clicking of heels on the metal deck which gets progressively louder. "It's amazing such a brilliant doctor having so much trouble with a simple piece of technology."
- Click -
Commander Nadix quietly listened to the argumentative, aggressive humans.
"Intriguing," he softly murmured.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.22: 1310h
The Bridge

Dillon once again flips on the communicator on the arm of the command chair. "Mr. Endilev, what are you reading on the power coils?"
Gareb Endilev's voice returns, drifting through the intercom speaker:

'Good catch Mr. Collins,' he mumbles impressed; not caring whether the com connection to the Bridge is still open. Then louder he says, 'Captain, we had an immediate drain, but Mr. Collins' quick actions cutting off warp power stopped us from having the coils completely drained. I'll find out where we are in our power supple right now,sir. Endilev out.' He closes the com (after a second or two, in case there is a response from the Captain).

Presently, the turbolift door opens to reveal a disgruntled Ned Ryerson, nursing his slightly bruised fist with a small hypospray device. As he passes the communications station, Lieutenant Commander Mai Ly Chau spins away from him in her chair, trying hard not to giggle.
Inferno wrote:Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:
"Aye, captain," Nadix said as he looked into his station's sensory viewer to scan the ship's outer hull for trace radiation signatures.
The loud, incessant sounds of Nadix's viewer dominate the Bridge, as his arms spin dials back and forth to capture nuanced readings of the radiation outside.
Last edited by Starbeard on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson:

Dr. Ryerson steps onto the bridge and approaches the captain in his chair and begins to speak before he is even noticed.
"Captain how long are we going to in orbit of this planet? It's radiation is interfering with my antibiotic development samples." he says with urgency as if his problem was greater than all others.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Inferno »

His yellow eyes still in his scanning viewer, Commander Nadix serenely reports, "Captain, sensors indicate radiation is rapidly diminishing from the ship's hull. No lingering trace radiation. No instances of radiation found beyond 13,000km range of the planet."

While waiting on the report from Engineering, Nadix uses ship sensors to conduct a routine scan of this general area of space.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins, Helmsman

Collins lets out a sigh of relief as the ship moves beyond the range of the radiation. Hearing the good Doctor's arrival on the Bridge, he can't help but smile a bit, though he remains facing the screen so the Doctor and the Captain don't see it....

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Woodcock watches attentively, trying to soak up as much knowledge from the officers as possible. "Someday I'll be in the big seat," he daydreams.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by rredmond »

Gareb Endilev, First Officer:

The communicator connects from Engineering again, Captain there's definitely something leeching our warp energy. It seems purposeful as the radiation waves keep changing to counteract our warp emissions' energy patterns, his tension seems to lighten a bit as he continues, good Ensign Lawrence likens it to a tractor beam, but tractor beam, funnel, mystical invisible warp sucking tube, whatever you want to deem it, it's able to significantly drain our warp engines. The good thing is, it's range is limited, as we found out when we left standard orbit. Gareb passes, then continues with the tension returning full bore to his voice, if we encounter this again, at this point we'd only have two options. One would be to cut off our warp generators, which would be 100% effective in dealing with the drain, at a significant loss. The second would be to scramble our warp signature, which would not be 100% effective, and which would likely affect the reliability of our warp power.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse
DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson:

Dr. Ryerson steps onto the bridge and approaches the captain in his chair and begins to speak before he is even noticed.
"Captain how long are we going to in orbit of this planet? It's radiation is interfering with my antibiotic development samples." he says with urgency as if his problem was greater than all others.
"Well Doctor I do believe you have your answer. Your samples should be fine for the time being."

Do we have any shuttle pods or do we only have shuttle craft?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins, Helmsman

Dale keeps an attentive eye on both the monitor screen and his instruments to ensure that the ship is where it's supposed to be; running at the levels she's supposed to be as well....

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Inferno »

The Edosian serenely said, "Captain, it would appear our theory has been validated.
"Ensign Manion, does the location of the radiation source fall within the highlighted strip that signifies where the vessel entered planet atmosphere?"

The Edosian looked at the screen in thought...
Starbeard, If we temporarily re-entered planet atmosphere, could we better pinpoint the radiation source's location to reduce that 50 mile margin of error? Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Manion

Lance Manion puffs up his chest and tries to sound as authoritative as an ensign can. "Yes sir! The radiation falls within that designated area, sir."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Starbeard »

Do we have any shuttle pods or do we only have shuttle craft?
The ship has a tiny and very cramped shuttle bay in the lower warp pylon, housing a single Class F shuttlecraft. It seats a pilot, navigator and 5 passengers (the navigator is optional but helps with long voyages), and runs entirely on impulse power. A competent helmsman can just about get it to Warp 1, but that's very hard on the engines and would run the craft into the ground doing so on a regular basis.

As controller of the helmsman who probably flies the thing most often, max_vale can christen the shuttlecraft to whatever name he wants.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by max_vale »

Wow, thanks for the honor! To keep to the Roman theme, let's go with: Minerva

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

'Mr. Nadix, what can you tell me about that band of radiation. We know it's detrimental effects on the ship and the antibiotics in Needles' lab, but what effect would it have on organics?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Inferno »

The Edosian replied tranquilly, "Captain, initial reports suggest that carbon-based life forms are not harmed by short term exposure to the radiation, up to approximately 24 hours. Further intensive study would be required to accurately predict the effects of long-term exposure, sir."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Very good Nadix. Mr. Collins, prepare the Minerva. We're going down there to see what has happened. Needles, care to come along?"

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”