[Archived] Act 1 — U.S.S. Janus interior

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Bridge

#21 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Permission granted Mr. Endilev," Dillon says. Knowing Endilev, the issue will be "sussed" out in less than that, he thinks to himself having complete confidence in the Andorian. "Ensign Manion, oversee the physics lab and report back to me as soon as some viable information is available."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Science Labs and Sickbay

#22 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Thank you Nurse. Lets move the samples to the stasis unit. It should slow down the rate of mutations and give us a little more time before the samples are no longer useful. Double check the core components for any sign of contamination as well as all the equipment used. If no contamination is found please start again. I'll take your notes and review them in my office. Contact me immediately if you locate the source of the mutation or the samples continue to mutate in an increased rate while in the stasis unit."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins; Helmsman

Dale handles the controls of the helm as best he can and as the Janus approaches the beacon, he calls out; "Approaching the beacon Captain"; robably unnecessarily as the beacon fills the view screen, but Collins figures its his duty and the skipper might have a lot on his mind.
Last edited by max_vale on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Thank you Mr. Collins." Dillon leans forward from his chair to take a look at the exterior hull of the beacon. He looks back at Dale. "Magnify please Mr. Collins. I want to be sure the beacon isn't damaged and sending out faulty readings."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Grognardsw »

ybn1197 wrote:Captain Dillon Wyse
"Ensign Manion, oversee the physics lab and report back to me as soon as some viable information is available."
"Aye aye Captain!" snaps Ensign Manion, leaving the bridge for the Physics Lab. "?!#*%! always have to leave when it starts getting exciting up here..." he thinks.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by rredmond »

I didn't specifically state, but Gareb does hustle over to the turbolift and gets down to Engineering.
Are there schematics, or a map or something of the ship? I don't mean to be an old grog, but I'd like something to wrap my head around how we're moving about.
Thanks!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by rredmond »

Something like this perhaps? http://hammerheadgraphics.iwarp.com/Tit ... matic1.jpg
It's Luna class I believe... :)
This one definitely is, but I need more visuals, though this is great info: http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/luna.html
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Starbeard »

Good point, I've posted in the Rec Room with a breakdown of the saucer's 10 decks. Basically, we'll be using the Saladin-class blueprints from the Star Trek LCARS database here.

This means that the locations of everyone are as follows:
  • Anyone on the bridge: Deck 1
  • Anyone in Sickbay or medical labs: Deck 7
  • Anyone in Engineering main: Deck 7 (Deck 6 if you need to get to any out-of-the-way guts of the ship)

In case it ever becomes see how much time it takes to get from one place to another, we'll say that lifts zip from any level to any other in a single combat phase (5 seconds), and moving around on a deck depends on how large the deck is—e.g., getting to the lift from the bridge is probably just a single phase, but getting to a lift from somewhere on Decks 6-7 could take a whole game turn (1 minute).

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins, human Helmsman

"Magnify, aye"; Collins responds as he presses the buttons to magnify the view screen in response to his Captain's order.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by ybn1197 »

Does there appear to be any damage to the beacon?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Starbeard »

Helmsman Collins glides the Janus into position only a few kilometres short of the beacon, matching its orbit around Coxa II. Navigation Officer Ken Parra, his swarthy tangle of hair cropped short above his forehead, leans over for a joke. ¡So, mi amigo! Try not to run into it yet, I still have to maximize the navigational deflectors.’

Collins, used to Parra’s rustic sense of harmless sarcasm, dutifully magnifies the beacon into full view on the bridge’s screen.

The beacon slowly spins in place, watching over the planet silently as it has for years. No one can see any visual signs of damage.

Off to the starboard side of the bridge, the science station comes to life as Nadix performs routine scans.

’Sensors pick up no signs of damage of malfunction, Sir. The beacon's own sensor data is being transmitted to the Janus’ computer for analysis now… it appears that the satellite picked up traces of warp coil emissions entering orbit just over two days ago… records indicate the warp emissions dissipated rapidly into nothing over a two-hour period… impulse energy emissions, however, continued for several hours, and eventually broke away into two triangulated paths: one out of orbit, the other into the planet’s atmosphere.

'The path out of orbit went into deep space, but a direct course is difficult to ascertain: the vessel may have been using barely enough energy to escape the gravitational pull of the planet.’

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Mr. Nadix, bring up the destination of the impulse trail on the planet."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Engineering (Decks 6 & 7)

#33 Post by Starbeard »

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Engineering (Decks 6 & 7)

#34 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.22: 1250h

Mr. Endilev briskly makes his way to the main Engineering Room, nestled into the aft section of Deck 7. The access door swishes open and he strides in, his men already hard at work.

‘Sir! We’ve discovered some unusual energy readings in the warp generators,’ says an overly excited Ensign Lawrence, pointing to the warp computer station. Reading Mr. Endilev’s expression in response to the obvious, the young ensign’s face flushes with embarrassment and he shuffles back to his duties.

Two ensigns are hard at work at the warp station attempting to understand the unforeseen power surge, but it is clear they as yet have no answers.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Science Labs (Deck 6)

#35 Post by Starbeard »

Deck 6 contains much of the research and production power of the Janus. Science laboratories are scattered throughout the corridors, surrounded by a vast ring of water stores, deuterium tanks, machine shops and waste processing units. The entire aft section contains the upper deck of the Engineering department. Toward the centre of Deck 6, near the computer core shaft, sits the Brig.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Science Labs (Deck 6)

#36 Post by Starbeard »

Ensign Manion heads down to Deck 6, making his way to the Physics Lab.
LK roll of 10 (+0 for MN 11):
[3d6] = 18
Failed!
Unfortunately, he takes a wrong turn along the labyrinthine corridors, not realizing his momentary lapse in directional sense until he is standing before the door of the Chem Lab. The door whisks open to reveal a stern female science officer holding a clipboard device. She starts at Manion's presence, barking a few questions at him. After a curt and awkward exchange of words, she grumbles for him to get out of the doorway. 'The Physics Lab? Follow me, Ensign, I'm headed that way myself. And acquaint yourself with the ship's deck plans, if you don't want a write-up from me.'

Lt. Felicity Milton leads the ensign to the Physics Lab and sets herself down to work. 'How much training did you receive in physics at the Academy?'
I'm sure I don't have to say anything, but feel free to make up Manion's background as you go along. We'll run with it.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Medical Labs and Sickbay (Deck 7)

#37 Post by Starbeard »

The doctor returns to his office while Nurse Teklah performs her orders as instructed.

The stasis unit is switched on and begins humming vibrantly. The Vulcan nurse calibrates the settings with ease, not even having to refer to the calculation aids being displayed on the monitor nearby. The samples are placed inside the unit, which is sealed. Over on the other side of the lab Nurse Teklah prepares a new batch of samples and begins monitoring both processes. A quick routine check shows that all of the core components are in optimum condition: none of the equipment is damaged, and none of the core material components show signs of contamination.

Over the next ten minutes, some new evidence presents itself. Teklah notes with dispassionate interest that the new batch of samples immediately began decaying and mutating rapidly as soon as they began to form into the antibiotic compound! Meanwhile, the samples in the stasis unit have successfully slowed their rate of mutation to normal levels!
'Idea' test against MN 15:
[3d6] = 12
Success!
Teklah recognizes that the stasis unit relies on two primary components to produce its effect: a particle force field screen, and a subtle environment stabilizer based on the same materialization technology used in transporters. If the force field is responsible for slowing the mutation, then that would suggest that radiation or some other environmental factor in the lab is causing the rapid mutation; if the materialization stabilizer is responsible, then it is likely that there are some faulty molecular structures in the samples themselves.

She also notes that none of the components seem to be affected until they begin forming into the antibiotic, suggesting that there is something about that specific compound that is having trouble stabilizing in the open air.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Engineering (Decks 6 & 7)

#38 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev, XO:

Forcing himself not to shake his head, Gareb addresses Ensign Lawrence, "nice of you to volunteer to check out the Dilithium crystals Ensign, I want to know where they are at and what our emergency stores look like." Then, clenching and releasing his fists several times, as if either cold or spoiling for a fight, Gareb can't help smiling in anticipation of the the puzzle presented to him and his team. Then he addresses all the Engineering team, "my coils don't spike for no reason. Janus is telling us something, let's show her we're listening. Lawrence when your done with the dilithium, I want a quick diagnostic on our other generators, everyone else I want on the warp engines. I need initial reports in ten minutes. I need more detail than 'unusual readings' and I need us to maintain our reputation for high level of accuracy." He jumps on to one of the warp control computers and finishes with "Let's get on it!".

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Medical Labs and Sickbay (Deck 7)

#39 Post by Grognardsw »

Nurse Teklah, Biochemistry Lab

Raising an eyebrow at the results, Nurse Teklah takes two actions. First, she takes a tricorder and scans for any radiation or other environmental factors in the lab that do not belong.

Then she obtains a separate sample of the specific compound that is having trouble stabilizing in the open air. She analyzes it for possible insights.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Bridge (Deck 1)

#40 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.22: 1300h

The Edoan science officer processes the computer data and projects it onto the view screen.

'As you can see, the calculations at best show only a likely route of entry: the blue trail curving off into deep space represents the likely path of the ship that exited orbit, and the red trail represents the ship that entered the planet's ozone somewhere along the northern hemisphere. The computer calculates a 97% chance that the vehicle entered the atmosphere somewhere within the highlighted strip. No trails have been detected to suggest that the ship departed the planet—unless, of course, it did so without impulse power.'

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”