[Archived] Act 1 — U.S.S. Janus interior

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Bridge (Deck 1)

#1 Post by Starbeard »

This thread is used for all actions and interactions taking place on the bridge.
Last edited by Starbeard on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Bridge

#2 Post by Starbeard »

Captain's Log, Stardate 2271.3.22*:

Our current orders to replenish ship necessities at Starbase 13 have been delayed, and our journey has been momentarily rerouted to the Class M planet of Coxa II. It appears that the automated satellite beacon orbiting the planet has been activated, and our vessel was most quickly able to respond.

This beacon was one of many placed on Class M worlds by the Federation some years ago as part of a wider incentive to enforce the Prime Directive, and is set to activate whenever it detects antimatter energy emissions entering the planet's vicinity.

I have just ordered Helmsman Collins to place us into a high orbit around the planet.

*For now, we'll just use the simple Stardate analog of Year.Month.Day:Time. It seems easiest.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Starbeard »

Unless you decide otherwise, all characters begin on the bridge.

Ensign Manion is present, as is Yeoman Woodcock, normally the yeoman of the second watch but filling in while the Captain's usual yeoman is under doctor's orders to rest.

You may begin.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ned Ryerson:

Dr. Ned Ryerson clad in his blue medical officer's shirt examines a rash on the back of Wookcock's neck as the yeoman does his best to continue his work. The rash is red with little bumps and only cover a small area around the the man's collar.
"You need to sit still while I do this. I'm a doctor not a laser guided photon torpedo. You say you've had this for a day or two. Well it looks like a simple heat rash to me. See Nurse Kirsten Bethel in sick bay when your shift is finished and she can give you a hypospray that will take down the redness and ease the itching. My advice to you is to stay cool and dry and whatever you do don't scratch."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Commander Gareb Endilev, XO:

Captain, ships vital systems are showing our dilithium stores at 40%, due to our inability to replenish at Starbase 13. The ship's emergency stores are fully charged. The ship should have no problems with normal operations, trying hard not to sound like a computer, but his furrowed blue brow shows that he's obviously going to keep an eye on the dilithium.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins; Helmsman

Dale replies to the Captain's order with an; "Aye, aye Captain; making for High Orbit pass now"; and then proceeds to maneuver the Janus into such a trajectory.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Grognardsw »

Yeoman Woodcock and Ensign Manion
DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Ned Ryerson clad in his blue medical officer's shirt examines a rash on the back of Wookcock's neck as the yeoman does his best to continue his work. The rash is red with little bumps and only cover a small area around the the man's collar.
"You need to sit still while I do this. I'm a doctor not a laser guided photon torpedo. You say you've had this for a day or two. Well it looks like a simple heat rash to me. See Nurse Kirsten Bethel in sick bay when your shift is finished and she can give you a hypospray that will take down the redness and ease the itching. My advice to you is to stay cool and dry and whatever you do don't scratch."

"Thank you doctor, not sure how I got this," says Woodcock. Was it that alien girl with the tentacle tongue? he wonders. He declines to tell the doctor about the itch between his legs.

Ensign Lance Manion hands the Captain an electronic clipboard. "Those inventories you ordered, sir."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Starbeard »

Woodcock hands over the clipboard device, which includes a series of banal ship and personnel statistics, an itemized record of all incoming communication signals from the past 24 hours (none since relaying orders from Starbase 13), and a brief profile of the planet in question, printed out from the ship's computer:
Ship's Computer wrote: -access file NCC-592/PER-18b-

USS Carson NCC-592 — Commander Georg Dahlhaus, captain
Planetary Exploration Report 18b
Stardate 2251.7.13

Coxa II
A small Class M world, 5,500km in diameter*, thin oxygen atmosphere.
Topography: 22% water, 88% dry land, abundant in flora and fauna.
Home to a primitive race of sentient lifeforms of humanoid construction, global population 15 million.
Orbital observation reports indicate a tribal stage of social evolution.
Limited use of wind power observed amongst some tribes.

Assessments: No signs of previous first contact.
Actions taken: Unauthorized Contact Beacon PDB-46 placed in high orbit to monitor system.
Orders received: Uphold Prime Directive.

-end file-
*(i.e., 43% the size of Earth)

The view from the viewscreen:

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Duly noted Commander. With any luck this will turn into a wild goose chase and we can make our way back to Starbase." The captain takes the device from Woodcock and briefly scans the information spending the majority of his time looking over the expedition report filed by Cmdr. Dahlhaus. He hands the reader back to the Yeoman after signing off on it and directs his attention to the main viewer. "Cmdr Parra, lay in coordinates for that beacon." Dillon swings his chair around to face his Nadix, his science officer. "Anything unusual on sensors Mr. Nadix?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote:Ensign Lance Manion hands the Captain an electronic clipboard...
Starbeard wrote:Woodcock hands over the clipboard device, which includes a series of...
ybn1197 wrote:The captain takes the device from Woodcock...
Ensign Manion sighs inside. "The officers never get our names right," he thinks to himself. Such is the lot of ensigns.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

D'oh! :oops:
I'd go back and fix it, but that response is awesome enough that the mix-up just has to stay.
:)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Starbeard »

To gain information from the sensors, Mr. Nadix rolls a basic MN check (3D6 ≥ his MN score), with -1 to the roll thanks to his rank in sensor theory. A successful roll means that information is presented immediately, otherwise it either takes time; I'll rule 30 minutes in this case.

(Alternatively, if you feel hard pressed for information now, if Nadix fails his roll I'd give a secret chance that the information is faulty.)

Mr. Nadix's three arms fiddle about the control deck of the science station with mechanical precision, his eyes peering into the viewport that juts from the busy console. 'Performing routine scans now, sir,' he calls out in his high-pitched and bleating voice. For several moments he seems lost in concentration, mumbling to himself. 'No signs of any other starship near the planet, sir. The sensors do pick up traces of plasma exhaust in orbit, suggesting that a ship's impulse drive was powered here within the last 48 hours, but left the system at some point.'

He continues to fiddle with knobs. By triangulation, I should be able to determine the general vector of the ship's departure within 30 minutes, Captain: would you like me to continue scanning the rest of the system for traces of the impulse trail, or shall I redirect sensors to the planet surface?'

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Calculate that ship's trajectory and give me possible destinations."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Starbeard »

'Aye, sir, beginning calculations now.' Nadix returns to his calculations. For the next half hour, the ship's crew buzzes about their duties, ensigns coming and going from bridge with reports for each officer. Communications whistles and relays sporadically cut through the ever-present background noise of the ship's vital functions.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.22: 1245h

Fifteen minutes later, only partway through Nadix's expected calculation time, the science officer calls out, 'Captain, I am still attempting to determine the probably route of the unknown ship. The main scanners have picked up an unusual field of radiation surrounding the planet, out to its extreme orbiting range. I will continue with calculations, but suggest further study of the phenomenon in the physics lab.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Starbeard »

As Endilev keeps a close eye on the ship’s energy readings, he notices a random minor spike in the output of the warp engine coils. The performance of the other generators (impulse engines, auxiliary batteries, and the central antimatter reactors) are all even.
A successful LK roll + MN & warp theory ([3d6-1] = 11-1 = 10) reminds Endilev that his crew down in engineering can assess the issue in half an hour, much less if he removes himself from the bridge to lead the investigation himself.
–––

Meanwhile, Helmsman Collins engages impulse power and smoothly takes the Janus over to the beacon.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Medical Labs and Sickbay (Deck 7)

#17 Post by Starbeard »

In Sickbay, Dr. Ryerson returns his medical tricorder to its compartment after his examination of the ensign. To keep himself busy, he begins cleaning up a few odd bits of equipment left strewn across a table from a training session earlier in the morning.

Presently, the intercom panel by the door whistles to life: *byoo-weeeee-ooo!*

The room is filled with the level and dispassionate voice of Ms. Teklah. Throughout the week the Vulcan nurse has been assisting Dr. Ryerson as his chief assistant, as part of a rotation pattern that allows him to monitor the performance of each of his nurses. She is currently in the Biochemistry Lab.

'Doctor, the antibiotic compounds you ordered for the Sickbay stores are complete. However, they are mutating rapidly. I believe you will be interested in observing them first-hand.'
Last edited by Starbeard on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Endilev raises an eyebrow and double checks the spike. He feels the Andorian equivalent of adrenaline rise in his body. Taking a steadying breath, he realizes the action isn't here.
Captain, he says as he turns and folds his hands behind his back, there's a spike in the warp engine coils output. Its irregular and seems to be localized to the warp engine. All other generators are at optimal performance, but I'll need to take a closer look. Permission to go down to engineering to suss it out. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Science Labs and Sickbay

#19 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

Dr. Ryerson puts down the hypospray he was preparing and walks over to the coms mounted on the wall. An audible 'click' is given off when the white button on the coms is pressed signaling it's active.
"Thank you Ms. Teklah, I'll be there in one moment."
He depresses the coms and goes back to the hyposray he was filling and calls out to Nurse Bethel.
"Nurse Bethel would you please administer this to ensign Woodcock. He'll be in later after his shift on the bridge is over. He has a rash of sorts around his collar."
He holds up the hypospray for Nurse Bethel to see.
"It's 25cc of Hydrocordizone pharcolican. It should reduce the redness and ease the itching. The patent should be observed for 15 minutes after the shot to make sure there is no further allergic reaction. If you need me I'll be in the Bio Lab with Nurse Tekleh."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Science Labs and Sickbay

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Nurse Teklah

nods at Dr. Ryerson as he enters the Biochemistry Lab.

"Hello Doctor. I have been monitoring the antibiotic compound production for the past 24 hours, and only now have they shown signs of rapid mutation. As you know, it is quite natural for them to mutate, eventually becoming useless as antibiotics, but their current rate is many times faster than it should be. By my estimates, they will become useless in 4 hours if the mutation does not slow. Typically, they should last for at least a couple of months. I have re-calibrated the lab equipment in case of faulty analysis, but the mutations have not slowed. Initial tests do not show the mutations harmful."

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”