[Archived] Act 2 — The Gods of Coxa II

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Away Team: Coxa II

#301 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Wyse stays calm while the chaos ensues around him. He keeps his eye on the captives, especially the now scantily clad female.

Do keep us posted on your progress out there Commander.

And please continue to monitor the advance of the others Mr. Nadix.

We need to get this vessel out of here before we cause any more damage down here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

"Aye, captain," replies the serene Edosian as he scans with his tricorder, trying to calculate where their Coxan pursuers will be in 12 Earth minutes time.

Coxans: Tricorder Scan: Mental: (14): [3d6-5] = 7-5 = 2
Also, I had this last time:
Inferno wrote:Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:
...the Edosian says, "Mister Endilev?" as he scans the shuttlecraft with his tricorder.
Here's a roll if that action was possible:
Engines: Tricorder Scan: Mental: (14): [3d6-5] = 9-5 = 4
Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by Inferno »

Fascinated by this opportunity to observe Humans under stress, the Edosian calmly reports the findings of his tricorder scan.

"The Coxans are approaching, following our general path. They should reach us in 5 to 10 minutes. If our departure will be delayed, perhaps we should prepare a defensive stance, sir?"

He glances as 'Fantor' and politely inquires, "Do you think they're coming to kill you?"

Then, "My science tricorder reports no impulse reactions, suggesting that the engines are completely offline. Neither life support nor basic electronic systems are starting. It's as if the vessel has no power; a curious anomaly because there appears to be energy in the plasma coils.
I'm sure Mr. Endeliv's engineering tricorder will reveal more."

Nadix glances at Silliphant again, wondering if he has anything to share about Coxa II's unusual effect on power systems.
Then he'll exit the shuttlecraft to share his meager findings with Mr. Endilev and offer what assistance he can.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Abbot grabs the equipment and follows Endilev to check the engine. He keeps an eye open for any native dangers. He almost makes a suggestion to the Andorian, but the alien seems in a short mood.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Starbeard »

Starbeard wrote:The Andorian officer tosses a pile of gadgets at Ensign Abbott and barks, "With me." He proceeds immediately to perform scans on the engines, calling back confidently that he can find out what's going on in twelve minutes.
Inferno wrote:Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:
"The Coxans are approaching, following our general path. They should reach us in 5 to 10 minutes. If our departure will be delayed, perhaps we should prepare a defensive stance, sir?"
Captain Wyse stands at the side hatch, one leg hoisted on the deck and the other planted on the soft earth. "We don't have twelve minutes, Commander. I want this ship off the ground in five."

Commander Endilev's antennae twitch irritably. "Impossible! I might be able to squeeze it into ten, but—" Captain Wyse cuts him off. "I didn't ask if it was possible, Mr. Endilev, I stated what was required. What's impossible is for this away mission to end in failure. Pull yourself together and give me your best, we need to get off the ground." Endilev gets back to work with Ensign Abbot's assistance, growing ever more impatient.

Two minutes pass…
No sign of the mob yet.

Dr. Ryerson steps outside and argues with Endilev about Andorian physiology and its susceptibility to high blood pressure. He keeps his hypospray primed in case Endilev's physiology gets the better of him and turns him violent.

Ensign Abbot is scanning part of the engine nacelle with his transplatonic matter-regulation radar, and thinks he's picked up something. He tries to approach Commander Endilev to suggest they focus their effort there.
Ensign Abbot, please make a skill roll of 3D6 vs MN+Antimatter Theory (12+1=13).

Nadix performs a polite interrogation on Dr. Silliphant. "I have no idea," he responds. "No, they wouldn't," offers his companion Dr. Leigh. "Even if many in the village didn't believe, they would not dare to harm us. Their laws are strict, and to do so would pit them against the village elder himself."

The usually jolly Norman Meston—until recently known on the plaent as 'Strix, god of food'—gets nervous. "Just the same, I'd rather be gone before the welcome committee arrives. Why aren't we taking off? Has the radiation gotten this bad?" Silliphant shakes his head. "No, it can't be. It shouldn't be affecting this kind of energy, and if it did it would have drained the plasma coils." He seems genuinely surprised at the turn of events.
Nadix, please make an observational roll of 3D6 vs MN (14).
"The floor's open for suggestions. I need ideas, people!" Says the Captain, a hint of concern behind his voice.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Inferno »

Nadix rubs his chin thoughtfully with his third hand.

Observational roll vs MN (14): [3d6] = 6
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Abbot scans the engine nacelle.

transplatonic matter-regulation radar [3d6] = 12

"I may have something here, sir," he says to Commander Endeliv.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Starbeard »

Nadix gets the feeling that Dr. Silliphant is telling the truth about not knowing what's happened with the Minerva. Still, there's something in his mannerisms, the way he flexes his jaw troublesomely, that suggests he knows more, possibly much more, than he's letting on.

Abbot's attempt to help proves fruitful. Chief Endilev very nearly throttles the ensign for interrupting his own scan, but Dr. Ryerson's presence keeps him collected, and he hears the ensign out. "You found deviations in the transplatonic matter and didn't think to say so earlier? How do these people get out of the Academy?!" He grabs the radar device from Abbot and scans it himself, grunting in understanding. The two continue to collaborate, greatly increasing the speed of work, though Endilev's blood pressure and anger are still rising.

Actions?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Inferno »

Starbeard wrote: "No, they wouldn't," offers his companion Dr. Leigh. "Even if many in the village didn't believe, they would not dare to harm us. Their laws are strict, and to do so would pit them against the village elder himself."
The serene, yellow-eyed alien inquired with polite curiosity, "Then why are they are pursuing us, in your estimation?"
Starbeard wrote:Silliphant shakes his head. "No, it can't be. It shouldn't be affecting this kind of energy, and if it did it would have drained the plasma coils."
Nadix asked calmly, "There seems to be something else you wish to say, Mr. Silliphant? If you share your comrade's desire to leave this planet, now would be the time to give voice to your thoughts."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins; Helmsman

Dale is anxious; alternately starting to rise from the pilot's seat to go keep watch and staying where he was so he could get the shuttle moving as soon as it was ready.......his hand nervously kept grasping his phaser and then letting go and then repeating the action...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#311 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Wyse eyeballs the pilot sternly, hoping to keep him in place long enough.

He continues monitoring Nadix and his conversation with the captives, though he doesn't feel the need to interfere there either.

He again calls to the men outside in the dark jungle.
I feel our time is running very short here commander Endilev. Some positive progress would be helpful!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Abbot tries to be helpful as Commander Endilev scans.

Inside the shuttle, Ensign Costello sweats. He worries if they'll get out in time. The Captain seems tense.

"Anything I can do Captain to help?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#313 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

The doctor continues to visually monitor Endilev, keeping the hypospray close. With his medical tricorder he uses it to scan the surrounding area for life forms.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins, Helmsman

Dale sees Wyse's look and says in an apologetic tone; "Sorry Captain….I just feel useless right now"; as he goes back to keeping still in his chair; waiting for the Engineers to give him the 'go' to power up the shuttle so they could leave this world….

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#315 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Grognardsw wrote:Ensign Abbot tries to be helpful as Commander Endilev scans.

Inside the shuttle, Ensign Costello sweats. He worries if they'll get out in time. The Captain seems tense.

"Anything I can do Captain to help?"
Of course, Ensign! Grab your phaser and keep the men outside covered as best you can!

I will keep an eye out for trouble in this direction as well!
He points his phaser in the opposite direction.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by Starbeard »

One more minute has passed…

Dr. Ryerson is relieved to find that Endilev's blood pressure seems to be levelling off for now. He redirects his attention toward nearby life signs, and determines through a series of automated triangulations that the approaching mob is 5 minutes away at the most. As long as he keeps it tuned in, the tricorder will give an alerting signal as they move into the 100m range.

"Captain," shouts Endilev, "We've located the problem. The fusion coils are at optimal condition, but there's a particular sequencer that the fusion must pass through before it sheds any carbo—" he continues to babble on until the Captain makes him start over in plain English. "Don't ask me how, but the Minerva's burnt out her ignition switch! I think Abbot and I can work around it if you give us two minutes."

Meanwhile, inside, Nadix converses with the two guest scientists about the pursuing mob and the mysterious problems that have befallen the crew…

"My estimation, Nadix?" the woman raises an earnest brow in thought. "More than half of the villagers are still loyal to Watrius. In their view we have been kidnapped, by imposters, or even devils. I believe they would be more interested in rescuing us, especially if our companions are leading the chase."

Dr. Silliphant looks caught and exposed at Nadix's probing enquiry. "I… no, you've got it all wrong. It's not that I want to leave… it's just… well, you have no idea what you're—"

"—His explanations will not be necessary," a unfamiliar, level voice says from outside the shuttle…

After a well-timed commercial break from the sponsors…

Outside, the impromptu engineering team is busily working away on the shuttle with their backs turned to the jungle and the entry hatch. Meanwhile, from the doorway Captain Wyse ushers Mr. Costello outside to guard them. The two turn out of the shuttle's hatch and run straight into a lone figure, who has stalked up to the edge of the vehicle's low lighting.

"His explanations will not be necessary," he says. The shadows of the night do not quite conceal his austere silver mesh uniform, ornamented with a maroon sash and trousers, or the menacing hawk-like appearance produced by his bronze helmet and cold eyes. Around his waist is a broad black belt of some substance reminiscent of the Rod of Life, and in his hand a strange and vicious energy pistol hums to life.

Actions?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Inferno »

The calm Edosian lets the Captain and the security detail rightly take the lead against this new, unexpected threat.

"Intriguing," Nadix says as his three hands simultaneously touch his tricorder, phaser and chin while he silently calculates.
Starbeard,
Sweet!
Are we at a point in time when the Federation have encountered a Romulan before, or does this game take place before 'Balance of Terror?'
If the former:
    • How far are we from Romulan space?
      Can Nadix determine the rank of this Romulan by his uniform?
      Does the pistol resemble a standard issue Romulan weapon?

Is he pointing the pistol at us or at the ground?
Does the pistol also resemble the Rod of Life?
Thanks.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Starbeard »

Inferno:
His weapon is pointed directly at Wyse and Costello. It resembles the basic shape of a Romulan hand disruptor in some ways, and a Romulan phaser in others, but the specific design isn't familiar to anyone. It has red glowing rods that seem to heat up along the barrel.

His uniform certainly suggests an officer; with the funny helmet, he might not be a full captain. It's hard to know, information on these things are still fuzzy in the Federation—there are conflicting reports concerning whether sash colour, shoulder pins, and helmets differentiate rank.

Everyone:
The scenario is set right after the Enterprise's five-year mission; in the past five years there has been contact with the Romulan Star Empire, but it continues to be sparse and shadowy. Because the peace treaty forbids either group from crossing into or through the Neutral Zone, all information about the Romulans remains sketchy at best. Kirk has encountered a Romulan exactly six times in his career, and he's probably considered the expert. Thus, the crew should know what a Romulan soldier looks like, but have never seen one, and probably don't even know anyone else who's seen one.

Coxa II is, in cosmic terms, closer to Romulan territory than Federation territory, but still clearly on the Federation's side of the Neutral Zone. See the map below (hex = c. 500 parsecs—for now, let's say it takes the Janus 2 days to cross one hex at maximum warp):

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 3.11.28 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 3.11.28 pm.png (280.99 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#319 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Wyse keeps his phaser locked on the stranger, hoping the Ensign will do the same.

Now, just who the hell are you, mister?

And lower that disrupter before you evaporate one of us!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Costello clutches his phaser, uncertain whether he should attack this Vulcan. He waits to follow the Captain.

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”