[Archived] Act 2 — The Gods of Coxa II

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Archived] Act 2 — The Gods of Coxa II

#1 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.22: 1400h

As Dale Collins powers up the Minerva, the other members of the crew double-check their small type-1 hand phasers and communicators. Needles Ryerson and Nadix both press a test button or two on their medical and sciences tricorders. The captain gives the order and everyone boards into the tiny craft.

Some jargon is exchanged between Dale and Ms. Chau on the bridge, and the away team hears the grinding of the bay doors open behind the Minerva. As Dale waits for the all-clear signal, he continues powering up the shuttle's systems. The lights within the shuttle dim to a mysterious glow and the various little consoles scattered across the dashboard come to life.

Finally, a set of red lights begin flickering on the wall in front of them, indicating that the rear deflector screen has been lowered, and Dale backs the shuttle out of the cramped bay. Soon, the Minerva is free of its confines. The mass of the Janus fills the away team's view, then slowly begins shrinking away before them. 'Shuttle cleared. Deflector screens back online,' chimes the voice of Ms. Chau, and then Dale fully powers the impulse drives and begins the descent to Coxa II.

As the little vessel descends to an orbit of the northern hemisphere of the planet, Nadix begins taking sensor readings along the strip of land. Within half an hour he catches something! He brings the results up onto a small dashboard screen.

Note: brown areas are lightly forested mountains, yellowish areas are plains, and green areas are jungles.

It seems that the impulse contrail that went down to the planet surface was a ship after all, as expected. The size and power train of the ship indicates a large shuttle craft, possibly able to seat between 7-20 passengers, depending on configuration. All Federation ships are legally required to have UFP registration codes, but none show up for this vessel. It could be a pirate ship, or perhaps a ship from a non-aligned world or rival empire.
Last edited by Starbeard on Sun May 22, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Away Team: Coxa II

#2 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

Pleased that his labors bore fruit, the Edosian serenely and completely reported his findings to the crew of the Minerva.
Then he peacefully intoned, "Working hypothesis: The mysterious vessel is the source of the unusual radiation."

He pleasantly anticipated the investigation that would prove or disprove this theory, and would continue to use shuttlecraft sensors to scan the surface as the away team approached planetfall.

Ever-mindful of the Prime Directive, Nadix hoped the vessel and its lone inhabitant hadn't contaminated the indigenous culture, even as he welcomed the opportunity to observe first-hand the radiation's long-term effect on the humanoid.
Last edited by Inferno on Tue May 26, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by max_vale »

LCDR Dale Collins; Helmsman

Dale; upon hearing that there was indeed a ship at the center of the strange radiation readings and that sensors indicated a single life-form; he began to gently zig and zag the Shuttle's flight path, while still descending towards the surface.

"Employing random evasive maneuvers Captain.....just in case they're not friendly down there and have some weaponry they may attempt to use on us"; he explained.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ybn1197 »

Capt. Dillon Wyse

"Very good Mr. Collins. Bring us in low and give us a pass-by on the vessel. I want to have a better idea of what we are heading into before we touch down."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Grognardsw »

Security Officers Costello and Abbot glance at each other upon hearing the news. They're thankful to be on this away mission with senior officers. They're sure their luck will be better than Ensigns Barry (what possessed him to smell an alien flower), Smith (swimming in a pink lake?!), Johanson (never press unknown buttons) or Jackson (don't smile at the native girls.) They'd prove themselves to the Captain, for sure!

Abbot excitedly unhitches his seatbelt to get an up-close look out the window.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

"Aye, aye sir"; replied Dale as he maneuvered the shuttle per his Captain's orders and brought them in a low, zig-zagging pass over the target area....

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Starbeard »

Stardate 2271.3.22: 1430h

Dale casually weaves the Minerva back and forth in erratic patterns, and the small vessel slowly descends to the target area. As the shuttle reaches the upper limits of the atmosphere Nadix programs the external camera to zoom in on the landed ship, then flips on the viewer. The camera hones in on a small, flat clearing inside of a jungle of green and white plants. The short tufts of wild grass in the clearing is a shimmery white. The shuttle is tucked away in this clearing. The jungle canopy obscures much of the vessel, and no identifiable markings can be seen. However, it is clear that it is a large shuttle, one of the many unremarkable variants of earth design from the previous century. Pirates, private couriers, traders and wealthier colonials typically operate these sluggish vessels.

During the descent the biomedical sensors give another bleep as dozens of humanoid life signs are registered in the plains nearby, perhaps 5 kilometres southeast of the landing site, 4 kilometres from the edge of the jungle: no doubt a village of the planet's primitive sentient species.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Inferno »

Nadix smiled at the exotic landscape. "Intriguing," he mused.

The curious Edosian used the Minerva's sensors to try to pinpoint the mysterious radiation's source. Was it the large shuttle? Was it the nearby village?
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Starbeard »

Curiously, the source of the radiation cannot be pinpointed with any greater reliability than from outer orbit.
Sensor Theory 'idea' roll (MN 14 + Sensor Theory I)
[3d6] = 5
Pass!
Nadix notices the tell-tale signs of imprint scrambling. Somehow, the radiation source is able to mask its exact position, possibly not unlike a ship's cloaking device in theory, but to cloak direct radiation emissions is a feat certainly unknown to him in practice.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Inferno »

Starbeard wrote: Nadix notices the tell-tale signs of imprint scrambling. Somehow, the radiation source is able to mask its exact position, possibly not unlike a ship's cloaking device in theory, but to cloak direct radiation emissions is a feat certainly unknown to him in practice.
The tranquil Edosian placidly shared this startling discovery with the crew of the Minerva.
Then he calmly postulated: "This data further supports the theory that the mysterious shuttle is the radiation source. It seems highly improbable that Coxa II's indigenous population could create such a cloaking technology."

Nadix then scanned to attempt to locate the source of the scrambler.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by max_vale »

Dale kept the shuttle in as erratic yet still stable a flight pattern as he could manage as his mind whirled around the information Nadix had just shared. "Sounds like they're either hiding something they don't want discovered; or as a form of protection or both. No matter the case though; I'd recommend being really cautious Captain"; Collins concluded.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ybn1197 »

Capt. Dillon Wyse

"Agreed Cmdr. Put us down a little ways from the shuttle. I don't like the idea of broadcasting our approach but I don't want to be on top of this thing either. Once we touch down, put phasers on stun. Lets take a look at this shuttle."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by max_vale »

Collins replies to his C.O. with; "Aye-aye Cap'n"; and he proceeds to find a good spot to set the shuttle down*....

Upon landing, he will ready his phaser, making sure it is set to stun and then look to Wyse for the order to proceed...

*Assuming everything goes okay with the landing; if not, please ignore the last part of this post. :)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Starbeard »

Everything does indeed go smoothly with the landing. The planet surface boasts some brisk eastward winds—no doubt coming from over the impressive mountain ridges which can be seen along the horizon—but the pilot is still able to manoeuvre the craft along the jungle canopy with ease. The crew collectively spot another small clearing, about two kilometres west of the other shuttle, and Wyse touches down there.

The atmosphere outside registers as clean, but thin—the approximate equivalent of standing at high mountain altitude on Earth. Through the window the party takes a look at the clearing, perhaps only three times larger than the shuttle itself: the ground is covered in shimmering white grass perhaps 1-2 feet tall, which glitters most spectacularly as it is rustled by a faint and sleepy breeze. Craning their heads out the window to look above them, the party can see the evidence of heavy gusts of wind flying above the jungle canopy, whipping the long, lithe branches of towering jungle plants back and forth.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ybn1197 »

Captain Dillon Wyse

"Costello, Abbot, I want the two of you to take point. Phasers on stun. We're going to head slowly to the other shuttle's location and see what ever there is to learn."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by max_vale »

Dale double checks that his Phaser is set to Stun and then he follows the security team out; scanning the area as he does so....

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Security Officers

"Aye aye Captain," says Officer Costello. He and Abbot set phasers to stun.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Starbeard »

The shuttle's humble doorway slowly hisses open. The sound reinforces the knot in the crew's stomachs that mixes excitement with anxiety, knowing that they are own their own on an alien world. The Janus has been left orbiting the planet slowly in the vast expanse of space—safe in the capable hands of the relief crew, but completely out of reach to the landing party's communicators.

One never quite gets used to the unsettling sound of an alien atmosphere. In theory, of course, the humans in the party that the natural sounds of Earth must be as disturbing and unreal to the ears of their present Edoan and Andorian companions as this world does to them, but the difficulty of trying to fathom that understanding inevitably leaves everyone a bit bewildered. A glance over at Nadix and Gareb, however, lets the humans know that the 'aliens' must be having very similar thoughts.

The effect of the grass is even more striking up close. Alluring, even.

Security officers Abbot and Costello need to make a Luck save to avoid touching the strange grass: roll 3D6 to determine their Luck, then make a saving throw of 3D6 ≤ Luck.

Also, to backtrack: are there any standard procedures or special orders anyone wants to give to their replacement crew before leaving on the shuttle? Otherwise, they'll just assume to hang around waiting for you to return. If they figure they've been waiting way too long, they'll most likely send a message off to the nearest starbase then try moving into orbit to look for you.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

FYI all, I have some RL stuff going on, which is why I've been absent. My apologies. My job is laying me off come 6/30, so I've been working to set things up so they don't fall apart when I leave, as well as trying to find a new job. Ah, if it were only my wife and me, but we have four young daughters, so.... pouding the pavement I go!
As for standing orders, the Engineering dept will continue their search for the source, reporting to me any progress. As well as continue to figure out ways to protect the ship and not allow the drain to occur

Gareb is searching and attempting to pinpoint the source of the drain as well on the ride down.
Once down he gets his phaser and science stuff (tricorder I'm assuming) ready to disembark.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Security Officer Abbot looks about in wonder at the alien sights and sounds. He brushes up against the strange grass.

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”