Adventure Synopsis

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Adventure Synopsis

#1 Post by Starbeard »

Basic Setting
The year is 2271 by the Gregorian Calendar. The USS Enterprise has just recently completed its historic 5-year mission (i.e., TOS and TAS have just finished). The Peace Treaties with the Romulan Star Empire and the Klingon Empire are currently intact. All three of the major galactic powers are locked in a diplomatic cold war, but the Federation is beginning to find itself stretched thin as it attempts to police its own self-imposed peace treaties against the smaller empires such as the Gorn and Kzinti.
Last edited by Starbeard on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Setting Synopsis

#2 Post by Starbeard »

Ship's Logs: The adventure so far

ACT 1

Captain's Log, Stardate 2271.3.22: 1200h
Our current orders to replenish ship necessities at Starbase 13 have been delayed, and our journey has been momentarily rerouted to the Class M planet of Coxa II. It appears that the automated satellite beacon orbiting the planet has been activated, and our vessel was most quickly able to respond.

This beacon was one of many placed on Class M worlds by the Federation some years ago as part of a wider incentive to enforce the Prime Directive, and is set to activate whenever it detects antimatter energy emissions entering the planet's vicinity.

I have just ordered Helmsman Collins to place us into a high orbit around the planet.

[Archived] Act 1 — U.S.S. Janus Interior

ACT 2

Captain's Log, Stardate 2271.3.22: 1500h
The mysterious energy radiation that was causing havoc on our engines has been traced to an unfixed location somewhere on the planet's surface, not far from an unknown space vessel we found hiding in the jungle. We have landed the shuttle nearby to investigate. So far, no signs of life present.

[Archived] Act 2 — The Gods of Coxa II

ACT 3

Captain's Log, Stardate 2271.3.23: 2400h
We have discovered a crew of pirates and archaeologists on the planet, searching for ruins of the Slaver Empire. Romulans are also involved. We have detained three privateers and a Romulan for questioning. There was one casualty: Ensign Costello, killed in a firefight with the Romulan. The first shot was fired by helmsman Collins, without orders—it saddens me deeply to file a disciplinary hearing, and I plan to stand as a witness on his behalf; his exemplary performance in saving the ship's engines while in orbit should help balance whatever discipline he receives. He'll be confined to quarters until the hearing.

The ship was attacked by a Romulan vessel while we were on the planet. There is major damage, but we may be able to limp home. Commander Vek displayed admirable courage during the incident, and will receive an official commendation from me upon return to Starbase.

[Archived] Act 3 — Shadow of the Hunted

ACT 4

Captain's Log, Stardate 2271.3.24: 0800h
The Janus has had another engagement with the enemy—a pirate ship wielding Romulan cloaking technology. Both ships are severely crippled, most of our prisoners have escaped, and the pirate vessel has retreated into deep space.

I have ordered the Janus back into orbit. A landing team will take the shuttle and attempt to locate and secure the ruined Slaver outpost from those still on the planet.

[Current] Act 4 — Pandora's Planet

Currently on Star Trek, the landing party followed a trail of footprints through the jungle, where they stumbled upon the corpse of the pirate captain and fended off a bushel of giant man-eating plants before following the rest of the trail to the Slaver Outpost. Believing that they had trapped the mysterious Romulan Commander and any remaining pirates inside, they sealed the doors and retraced their steps to the pirates' landing site.

The party was able to break into the pirate shuttlecraft and copy information about their operation from the shuttle's computer banks, but their investigations were cut short when two mobs of Coxans—one led by the impetuous youth Byros, and one led by the wicked pirate Ursula Norton and loyal to the pirate 'gods'—crashed onto the scene and turned the place into a bloodbath! Ursula Norton was knocked unconscious and apprehended, and the Coxans scattered.

Later, when attempting to return the Rod of Life to its rightful place in the Coxan temple, they discovered that Romulan Commander had already massacred many of the villagers and caused the rest to flee into the wilderness. A tense game of hide-and-seek ensued through the ghost town, with deadly consequences for the loser, and even as she died the Romulan Commander mocked the party, telling them that she had set the Slaver Outpost to self-destruct in a matter of hours, an event that the party believes will enshroud the planet in a cloud of deadly radiation.

Having raced through the jungle, dodging strange tree-climbing bears and falling victim to acidic tar pits, the party has arrived back at the Slaver Outpost and now hopes stop the countdown before it is too late

EPILOGUE

Captain’s Log, Stardate 2271.3.24: 2100h
The away team has managed to thwart the Romulan Commander’s planned destruction of Coxa II, but at great cost. It feels a hollow victory.

Commander Nadix is in sick bay. His radiation poisoning will recover, in time; but my fear is with his other infliction, the expansion of his optic and cognitive nerves. Dr. Ryerson informs me that the effects should wear off, eventually—but when? Weeks? Months? Years? What will have happened to the Nadix’s mind by then? I have asked the ship’s computer to gather information on previous Star Fleet incidents involving rapidly expanding mental faculties, and the probabilities look grim.

Our distress call has been answered, and the U.S.S. Ptolemy will rendezvous with the Janus in two days to tow us back to Starbase 13. Until then, we must simply wait, and hope Chief Endilev can have both warp nacelles operational in time.

Ensign Chowdhury performed exemplarily. By all accounts he held his own, and sacrificed himself multiple times for the mission and his fellow crewmates. I am putting in an expedited request for his immediate promotion to Lieutenant.

Helmsman Collins is confined to… what remains of the brig… until we reach dock. At that time I will hand over command of the Janus to Admiral Klar—rather than await the inevitable, I have decided to volunteer myself for a disciplinary hearing regarding violation of the Prime Directive under my command; and perhaps by doing so, my testimony on Collins’ behalf will go down better during his own hearing for firing upon the Romulans unprovoked. I will gladly take whatever blame is necessary to see that none of my crew are punished.

But after everything—after the hearings, the disciplinary actions, the Romulan responses and the Federation counterattacks—what of the Coxans? What will become of them?

Cue credits!

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”