Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation (OOC)

#21 Post by ybn1197 »

Starbeard wrote:Alright, so far we have:

rredmond: Engineering Officer
max_vale: Helmsman
DadsAngry: Medical Officer
Grognardsw: The rabble

That leaves ybn1197. Do you want to take the role of the ship's captain?

Also, assuming ybn doesn't take the first officer role, rredmond has the option of adding that position to his engineer.
I'll take that role on. I'll roll up a character shortly.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Starbeard »

ybn1197 wrote:
Starbeard wrote:Alright, so far we have:

rredmond: Engineering Officer
max_vale: Helmsman
DadsAngry: Medical Officer
Grognardsw: The rabble

That leaves ybn1197. Do you want to take the role of the ship's captain?

Also, assuming ybn doesn't take the first officer role, rredmond has the option of adding that position to his engineer.
I'll take that role on. I'll roll up a character shortly.
Glad to hear it. While you're doing that I'll roll up the rest of the bridge crew and then we should get started by this upcoming weekend!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Starbeard »

By the way, as we play, I'll be working on the rules compendium/retroclone over at the Old School Trek forum: here's the thread. I imagine I'll probably be the only one really posting there, as the forum is pretty quiet these days, but I figured it was best to keep things consolidated to their proper place on the internet.

I'll have a rough rules compendium for everyone made up, which we can all refer to during play, and if you feel inspired to come up with ideas on how to clean it up and turn it into an OGL retroclone, feel free to head over to the OST thread and join in!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Starbeard »

Taking on the First Officer role is entirely optional. If you don't, we'll just have the First Officer as an NPC. As First Officer your primary duty would still be as the ship's chief of engineering, but you would also support the captain as second in command—much like how Spock tended to act primarily as the ship's Science Officer, but still had the authority being Kirk's right hand man.

I don't see anything in your stats that would really bar you from actively effectively as First Officer, but you can shuffle a skill around to include something in that you think would be important. Anyway, it's all entirely up to you.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by rredmond »

I think it'd fit this character. I see him more as King Lear's Earl of Kent than Kirk's Spock, but I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl. :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by ybn1197 »

Here are my stats: [3d6] = 11 [3d6] = 15 [3d6] = 11 [3d6] = 4 [3d6] = 13 [3d6] = 11

Chance for Size mod: Size Mod: [1d4] = 2 no change

Chance of Extra Experience Points: Extra EP: [2d6] = 5 0 extra

Starting Hand-to-Hand Rank: HTH Rank: [1d6-3] = 1-3 = -2 Min: 0

Chance of additional HtH Ranks: Additional HTH Ranks: [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 8 1 extra

Number of Skill Points: Skill Points: [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 4 [1d10] = 8 [1d8] = 7 [1d8] = 3 Wow, his Luck rank shows.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Starbeard »

Whoah! That's some bad luck! And for the Captain, too. I can only imagine the string of unfortunate circumstances that got him assigned to an obsolete patrol ship in Star Fleet's Colonial Operations & Support division.

By the way, I like the way you've used the spells list for skills, it's very easy to follow.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ybn1197 »

Thanks. Had to use that 4 for something and luck seemed the only reasonable choice. I am going to work it into his background to show he truly earned his position, it wasn't just given to him.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Starbeard »

Brilliant.

That's all of the PC generation done, with only a few tidbits here and there to complete. I'll put together a short list of the bridge NPCs and post them soon, and get the adventure rolling with a Captain's Log entry by Saturday or Sunday.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by max_vale »

...or perhaps the badluck is WHY he got promoted...i.e.; he was an XO on a ship that had a bad accident/ran into a foe/etc.; and after the destruction....he was the only/most senior officer left. Perhaps he didn't really WANT the promotion....or at least; not yet....but due to his 'born under a bad sign' luck; now he's the Captain!

Whatever works for you amigo; I just had that thought and figured I'd share it. :)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ybn1197 »

I like that!

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by DadsAngry »

I added my character background to my character and posted it to the roster.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Starbeard »

New players, let's talk about your PCs here.

First thing is to pick your character's role on the ship (listed here, further up the thread). Currently, the PCs have a Science Officer, a Medical Officer, and Grog's playing all the unfortunate redshirts.

PCs-turned-NPCs have included the Captain, Chief Engineer/XO and Helmsman. NPCs have already been established for all of the other senior positions, but feel free to choose any role you want (except for the Captain or XO, of course)—there are three shifts in the ship, which means there are three senior officers to fill each role.

You can also choose your race/gender from those available on the ship, or roll for them on the game's random tables.

After you've decided on the basic character concept and officer position, we'll roll up your stats and get you started on the USS Janus.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by FantasyChic »

I'd probably like to play as either Navigation or Communications, with my preference being Communications. I should be able to get most of this started leter today or tomorrow, as I work tonight.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Starbeard »

Fantastic! I'll be off me st of today and tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be able to answer any questions you have.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Pulpatoon »

I think I'll go for the second Science spot.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Pulpatoon »

Species: [1d100] = 49 Hu-mahn.

...and, with that, the dice roller seems to have crapped the bed. So, and old-fashioned coin flip for sex: heads. Female.

I think I'll name her Dorotea de Mattio. Earth, Italian.

And let's borrow the likeness of Dr. Helen Noel from "Dagger of the Mind"

Dice roller is responding again!
Stats: DEX:9, STR:7, WIS:13, CON:11, CHR:13, INT:14
Strength (ST) 7 (-2)
Mentality (MN) 14 (+2)
Dexterity (DX) 9
Luck (LK) 13 (+1)
Constitution (CT) 11
Charisma (CH) 13 (+1)
Size Mod: [1d4] = 3 175cm
Movement: 8m

Experience: Commander—25,000 EP
EP: [2d6] = 3 She's new to her post.

Melee: [1d6-3] = 3-3 = 0 [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 2
Hand-to-Hand rank 1

Skill dice per rank:
Ensign: [2d6] = 6 Oops, no: Ensign: [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3
Planetology: I (1)
Lieutenant: [1d10] = 9 This was a studious period in her life!
Information Theory: I (3)
Lt. Commander: [1d8] = 6 Ecology: I (0)
Commander: [1d8] = 1 Bump up Ecology: Ecology: I (1)

She's the resident Planetologist, preferring macro-systems to, say, the messiness of individuals.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by FantasyChic »

I'm not gonna chance rolling, because I know if I do I'll be inevitably dissapointed. So I will be going with what I want, and that is a Vulcan Lady :D

T'Leia: Vulcan Female Communications Officer

Attributes

Strength: 8 + 3 = 11
Mentality: 10 + 3 = 13 (+1)
Dexterity: 8 + 2 = 10
Luck: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 7 + 4 = 11
Charisma: 10

Size
195 cm

Movement
11m

Current Level/Rank
Lieutenant Commander - 10,000 EP (25% to next Rank)

Hand-to-Hand Class Rating Rank: 1

Skill and Career Bonuses
Ensign: Communications 0 (4), Diplomacy 0 (2) Lieutenant: Bump Communications -> Communications 1 Lieutenant Commander: Linguistics 0 (4)
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Starbeard »

These look fantastic, folks. I do like the idea of an unlucky Vulcan.

Go ahead and post a PC sheet to the ship roster if you haven't already (remember, the campaign ID is 258), and I'll get you started on the burning wreck of a ship tomorrow!

If you feel like making macros for your characters, the basic dice-rolling in STAGFF is to roll 3D6 and try to roll at or below your attribute. So, the basic saving throw is a LK test (3D6 vs LK). Skills will add to your attribute during the roll, so a Planetology roll is (3D6 vs MN + skill).

Initiative rolls are 1D6 + DX modifier

Combat rolls are a simple 1D6, plus stating (not adding) your DX modifier (for shooting) or ST and DX modifiers (for rough-housing).

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by FantasyChic »

Wasn't my choice, but I figured she didn't need as much luck as the others. Wouldn't make sense for a vulcan to be low Mentality, and she's communications so she needs Charisma. Good at hand-to-hand combat to STR is a must and I dont wanna die in one hit so more CON. That left Luck or Dexterity to suffer so I went luck.

-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier”