[Archived] Act 3 — Shadow of the Hunted

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Science Labs (Deck 6)

#41 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

Nadix sincerely thanks de Mattio and Abbott and continues analysis of the incredible metallic element. His golden eyes against the optical viewer, he murmurs, "Fascinating."
I'm still on vacation, but had some time. :D
I'll be back to regular posting in a week. Thanks.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Sickbay (Deck 7)

#42 Post by Starbeard »

The minutes crawl by as the Doctor and his aides try their best to help the wounded.

The worst of the lot are resting in the permanent medical beds, fully monitored. Ryerson and Tekla personally operate with their cutting edge, non-invasive tools, but the Doctor can see right away that for some of them it's an unwinnable battle, no matter how much cordrazine he pumps into them.

The two engineering crew members in his care, Lt. Suskin and Ensign Eyslee—he's made a point to memorize all the crew's names on his ship—lapse into shock. The instrument gauges above their beds slide up and down wildly, then slowly settle to a zero rating: they are dead. Eyslee was a new recruit, on his second mission, and Lt. Suskin had just been married not long ago. Thankfully, the other critical patients are curable, and they rest uneasily in bed, unconscious and slowly healing.

Ryerson checks in on his nurse and orderlies. "I could not save Ensign Pasteur, Doctor. By the time I could tend to his internal bleeding he was already beyond help. Had I chosen to treat him before Ensign Boyle, I am sure I would have saved them both," she says, furrowing her Vulcan eyebrows.

They continue their tour of the room, treating the patients according to Ryerson's instructions. The situation looks dicy, indeed. Without full facilities and trained personnel, there's little he can do for some of these people until he can get to them himself.

After an hour of work, the Doctor reviews the situation. It's past one in the morning on ship. He's been up for nineteen hours without break, and he can feel the adrenaline starting to wear off a bit. His stomach growls hungrily.
4 beds: 3 used up by healed Urgent Care patients (they may be moved to cots at will), 1 empty.
6 cots: 3 used by unhealed patients (serious & 2 criticals), 2 used by healed Critical Care patients (they may be moved anywhere), 1 empty.

Urgent
Once healed, they will remain in a bed/cot until reaching better facilities. A second skill roll can be risked to bring them back into action after a full sleep, but failure has a 10% chance of turning them Urgent again.
Nurse Baker (bed) healed
Science Officer Bacon (bed) healed
Science Ensign Boyle (bed) healed
Science Ensign Pasteur
Engineering Officer Suskin
Engineering Ensign Eyslee

Critical
Once healed, they can be kept anywhere in sickbay and will be ready for action after a full sleep. A second skill roll can be risked to bring them back into action after two hours, but failure has a 10% chance of turning them Critical again.
Nurse Jackie (cot)
Security Ensign Ward (cot) healed
Engineering Ensign Petrus (cot) healed
Engineering Ensign Nesterowicz (cot)

Serious
Once healed, they can be kept anywhere in sickbay and will be ready for action in 2 hours. A second skill roll can be risked to bring them back into action immediately, but failure has a 10% chance of turning them Serious again. After four more hours, those still wounded will begin to take on "permanent injuries" (i.e., they won't be able to contribute to the ship)
Security Ensign Dukes (cot)
Engineering Officer Chell
Engineering Ensign Rush healed
Engineering Ensign Arp
Engineering Ensign Cordon

Minor
Once healed, they can be sent back to action immediately. They'll be fine in sickbay for several days without being healed.
Security Chief Vek
Security Officer Ayala
Science Officer Horner healed, returned to duty
Engineering Officer Fisher
Engineering Ensign Castro
Engineering Ensign Devlin
Engineering Ensign Meyers
Engineering Ensign Peck healed, returned to duty
Engineering Ensign Valdes

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Back in Space

#43 Post by Starbeard »

Coxa II: in orbit
Stardate 2271.3.23: 0115h

T'Leia sits at her console, monitoring frequencies with an undisturbed focus that would be remarkable for other races. She's been there for over an hour with no leads, until suddenly a faint stream of static comes through her earpiece. It is within one of the frequencies recorded in the computer as a known Romulan channel, and sounds like deliberately garbled static. She flips a switch to view the navigator's screen and determines that the signal is coming from just out of sight on the far side of the planet.

Chief Engineer Endilev's voice echoes throughout the ship's rooms and corridors. "All hands. This is Lt. Commander Endilev, speaking for the Captain. Ship-wide Engineering report: crews are operating at 79% capacity due to losses, up from 78% an hour ago thanks to the efforts of everyone in sickbay. The turbolifts should be fully operational in two hours. Endilev out."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Starbeard »

Placeholder: running behind, will post tomorrow!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Starbeard »

U.S.S. Janus: Metallurgy Lab Two
Stardate 2271.3.23: 0115h

Nadix carefully examines the Romulan's belt. Many of the basic tools he requires were damaged or overloaded when the labs were struck, and he has to spend more time than he would like going back and forth between labs to procure the tools he needs.

He progresses on predicted schedule, however, and in an hour he compiles his results into a preliminary report. The belt is indeed made of a metallic substance, three times as strong as duranium, one of the hardest substances known to the Federation and the material used in starship construction. Using a high-intensity cutting phaser he takes half an hour to scrape off a few microscopic particles, and his chemical tests on those conclude that it is in fact a complex, manufactured alloy; the material cannot occur naturally. Furthermore, the very molecular structure itself actually seems frozen: even the subatomic particles appear frozen in time, perhaps explaining its invisibility to their scanners.

Now that parts of the alloy have been separated, he estimates a scan of the planet for 2-6 hours will determine whether the alloy could have been made locally, and serious tests for 1-3 days will determine the approximate makeup and ages of the various components of the alloy.

Right on cue, the computer terminal nearby flashes that its computations are complete, and reads out the following connections it has found in its data files:
"Correlating data on: Slaver Empire, and: Coxa II, and: Properties of Unknown Substance."
Rolls:

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Grognardsw »

From his own bed Science Ensign Boyle watches as the sheet is pulled over Ensign Pasteur's head and his body is rolled out of the operating area. Boyle closes his eyes, sorry but glad to still be alive.

Engineering Ensign Peck button his shirt as he says, "Thank you Doctor Ryerson and Nurse Tekla."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Pulpatoon »

de Mattio's voice crackles out of the comm: "Commander Nadix, I just saw the computer's rrreport. Can you believe it?! Do you think this was a found artifact? Or does it appear to be of Rrromulan manufacture? If the Rrromulans have unlocked even the smallest of a stasis box's secrets, the balance of power in the galaxy would be completely up-ended!

"With your permission, I am going to request the Captain allow me to rejoin you in Science, for awhile. This... this is surely a threat that takes precedence over any others."

de Mattio sends in the request to the Captain and the Chief of Engineering. Before leaving, she uses the computer to triage the repairs on the lifts—making sure that the most efficient network of lifts get repaired first and that the lifts are working in concert to best serve the needs of the crew (with priority to repair teams) until they are all back on line.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:
Starbeard wrote: "I could not save Ensign Pasteur, Doctor. By the time I could tend to his internal bleeding he was already beyond help. Had I chosen to treat him before Ensign Boyle, I am sure I would have saved them both," she says, furrowing her Vulcan eyebrows.
"Would'a, could'a, should'a, what's done is done. You assets the situation as best you could and proceeded from there. The human body with all it intricate workings is not a mechanical device that can be easily assess, even with modern technology. Sometimes you have to go with your gut." he walks over to Ensign Pasteur body "And sometimes your gut is wrong." Dr. Ryerson takes the sparkly medical blanket and pulls it over Ensign Pasteur face. "The first thing I learned as Starfleet Medical is never second guess yourself. Never think of the what ifs. If you do you'll doubt yourself and endanger though who you treat." The doctor uncontrollably lets out a yawn followed by the audible sound of growling of his stomach. "Nurse, I'm going to need some coffee, black, and a sandwich and get yourself some too. We still have more patients to care for. I haven't worked these kind of hours since my residency."
Grognardsw wrote:Engineering Ensign Peck button his shirt as he says, "Thank you Doctor Ryerson and Nurse Tekla."
"You're welcome. Try to take it easy. I don't want that wound to open up. I have enough patients already Ensign."
What happens to the following:
Critical
Nurse Jackie (cot)

Serious
After four more hours, those still wounded will begin to take on "permanent injuries" (i.e., they won't be able to contribute to the ship)
Engineering Ensign Arp

Can these people be further helped, or are they destined to die or face permanent injuries? Ryerson worked on Engineering Officer Chell and Engineering Ensign Arp so I image that the Doctor would assess that he has done all he can for those two patients.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Starbeard »

de Mattio heads over to the nearest communications console and rings the Captain.

"Wyse here. What is it, Commander?" de Mattio explains her findings. "This sounds serious. Work with Engineering to make sure they put your lab facilities on top priority, and keep me informed. Wyse out."

Chief Endilev sounds dismayed to have yet more of the ship assigned to other projects besides repair, but agrees to lend whatever support he can to get the facilities back up to speed—so long as he's still got a full crew working on the engines, that is.

The computer tells her that about half of the shafts on the damaged decks (Decks 5-8) have been obliterated, some can be repaired on each deck to allow movement again. Each deck can be fully repaired in 1.5 hours, or half-repaired in 30 minutes. Decks 6 and 7 have the most vital facilities (engineering, sciences, sickbay, transporters), Deck 5 allows repair access to the weapons systems and bridge, and Deck 8 allows repair access to the sensor arrays. With preference on repair access, the computer suggests half-repairing all decks in the following order first: Deck 6-7, Deck 5, Deck 8.
Any of the following will be delayed by 1D6 turns (min. 1):
  • Allow wounded crew teams to be treated in sickbay.
  • Allow engineering teams to make repair rolls for any system.
  • Move any teams to the shuttle or transporter rooms.
  • Have any PCs move to a part of the ship that crosses through those decks.

Half-repaired/fully repaired deck: -1/-2 to delay roll.
Decks 6 & 7: once half-repaired, movement between these two only is free & without delay.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Starbeard »

"I am not sure I understand your reference to a 'gut feeling,' Doctor, but what you say is logical. I assessed the probabilities within the best of my knowledge, using insufficient knowledge of all factors. I will retrieve your coffee." She walks off to grab his order from a food synthesizer. The Doctor is sure there was a statement of gratitude in their somewhere. Vulcans.

She returns a short while later with piping hot food and drink, and Dr. Ryerson munches away as he keeps working through the night. He may just be able to get through the next four hours before his tiredness begins to affect his judgement, and after that the most critical cases will be over.
DadsAngry wrote:Dr. Ryerson:
What happens to the following:
Critical
Nurse Jackie (cot)

Serious
After four more hours, those still wounded will begin to take on "permanent injuries" (i.e., they won't be able to contribute to the ship)
Engineering Ensign Arp

Can these people be further helped, or are they destined to die or face permanent injuries? Ryerson worked on Engineering Officer Chell and Engineering Ensign Arp so I image that the Doctor would assess that he has done all he can for those two patients.
Patients with failed rolls will simply stay until healed by another roll, or they get worse. Each roll will take up 1 hour of time.

After a certain amount of time from now (1 hour for critical, 4 hours for serious), any injuries that haven't been healed are "permanent": they're automatically healed and sent off to get rest, but can't be put back into action until they get serious treatment back at starbase.

As for getting back into action, each department is currently at 75% efficiency, give or take a few points. If all of Ryerson's patients in that department are healed, that would bring it back up to 100% (officers count double). At 75% efficiency, there is a 25% chance that any action attempted by that department is delayed a turn during combat.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Pulpatoon »

de Mattio thanks the captain and Chief Endilev, and then sends out orders to the repair crews, following the Computer's recommendation.

Turning to the Edosian, she folds her hands, and says, "I'm all yours, Commander Nadix. How would you suggest we proceed?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote:"Ensign Abbot, you have preformed beautifully! Grazie mille! And now, I can release you to your other duties."
"Thank you sir," says Ensign Abbot, pleasantly surprised at his show of technical skill.

The ensign goes to the ship's lounge. He hasn't had a break yet since returning so he figures he'll have a drink or two.

Ensign Abbot walks into the lounge. It's not very crowded given the circumstances of the ship. He punches up an energy drink, hoping the hyper-caffinated liquid will give him the jolt to face his next shift. Abbot tries not to think of Costello. He strikes up a conversation with another ensign, a cute green girl from Orion.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Grognardsw »

Ensign Peck

"I'll take it easy doc," replies Peck.

He walks out of Sick Bay and heads toward Engineering.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Starbeard »

In the Recreation Room…

The Orion ensign Nalia smiles at Abbot, and he's half-convinced she's being rather coy. He keeps getting distracted by the smell of her hair. "Is it true there's a Romulan on the ship? We've heard Laurel and Hardy are on guard duty on the brig." She seems genuinely interested in his exploits on the planet.

Suddenly, she has an idea that causes her eyes to sparkle delightfully. "Do you want to try and see him? I'm off-duty for an hour, and Ensign Hardy… well, he owes me a favor." She adds with a wink, "Last week I let him have my last bottle of engine room hooch."

Meanwhile, in the Metallurgy Labs…

de Mattio issues orders to the repair crews based on the computer's recommendation. With her attention back to Nadix, the two discuss how best to move forward in research. "I agree, it seems we are at the threshold of a possible crisis situation. First, the facts: there is a distinct possibility that this alloy is related to the legendary stasis boxes of the Slaver Empire. However, this material appears black and entirely non-reflective, whereas the stasis boxes are known to be mirror-like in appearance. We can assume the alloy was created by the Slaver Empire, as the Rod of Life is likely made of the same substance. The question is whether the Romulans have learned to create it or whether they are simply harvesting examples of it from the planet."

Nadix twiddles his three thumbs together in an impressive display. To the Edosians, the science of three interlocked, working gears was never an impossibility. "We can continue performing full tests on the belt, hopefully to deconstruct all of its properties and weaknesses—but that would take days, and we may not have that long. In a much shorter time, however, we may at least determine the possibility that this belt was newly constructed by the Romulans. I estimate up to 4 hours if we work together, or up to 6 if I continue research alone." Thoughtfully, he adds, "There is also the matter of this hand weapon, which appears to have condensed the Romulan's plasma technology into a compact form. I admit that I am curious as to how they managed to keep it from overheating."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Pulpatoon »

de Mattio: "The Rrromulans have stumbled upon an Aladdin's Cave of Treasures, it seems. Would you agree that it is likely to be rrrelated to the source of mysterious energy rrradiating from below? If we can uncover the source of these objects, we may be able to disable several of the threats facing us at once.

"And la cintura may be our best chance of discovering the source of the rrradiation, as both elude our sensors, yes? I would suggest we continue to prioritize it.

"I have two thoughts. One: Perhaps there is a way to observe the indirect effect of la cintura, like the way astronomers once observed black holes by their distortion of their surrounding materials.

"Two: Perhaps there is a... how would you say, a sympathy between the operation of this belt and the operation whatever is shielding that which is below. We may not be able to discover the nature of the metal in time, but we should be able to follow the manipulation of the belts circuitry. We can take those principles and apply them to the larger instance of the phenomena."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Inferno »

Commander Nadix Ar Eth, Science Officer:

"Most commendable, Commander," the serene Edosian said. "Please continue.
"I believe there is another avenue that may give us the answers we seek. If you'll kindly excuse me?"

Nadix went to the brig to continue his interrogation of the prisoners. He'll interview them separately, starting with the woman, continuing his good cop act.
"Your situation grows more dire with each passing hour, I'm afraid. If you wish to avoid a life sentence in prison for complicity in an attack on a Federation starship, I would humbly suggest you cooperate.
The artifacts of the Slaver Empire, what can you tell me about them?
The Romulan Centurion's belt, did he discover it or fabricate it?
Please tell me everything you know, madam. We are, both of us, rapidly running out of time."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Pulpatoon »

de Mattio begins her investigation of the how the circuitry of the belt affects the mysterious metal elements—in articular, how the effect is turned on or off.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Grognardsw »

Starbeard wrote:In the Recreation Room…

The Orion ensign Nalia smiles at Abbot, and he's half-convinced she's being rather coy. He keeps getting distracted by the smell of her hair. "Is it true there's a Romulan on the ship? We've heard Laurel and Hardy are on guard duty on the brig." She seems genuinely interested in his exploits on the planet.

Suddenly, she has an idea that causes her eyes to sparkle delightfully. "Do you want to try and see him? I'm off-duty for an hour, and Ensign Hardy… well, he owes me a favor." She adds with a wink, "Last week I let him have my last bottle of engine room hooch."
"Yeah, I helped capture him," Ensign Abbot boasts. Taken by her charms, he says "We could stop by the brig."

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by DadsAngry »

Dr. Ryerson:

"Thank you Nurse Tekla." he says between bites of his meal. The doctor takes a brief brake to finish his food and consume vast vats of coffee. After a quick trip to the restroom and sterilization he returns to his patients to examine there progress. He notices a few patients who aren't responding to treatment. He orders the nurses to remove the departed and replace those who still need care. After the patients have been reshuffled Dr. Ryerson and Nurse Tekla reevaluate and retreat the injured.
Critical
Nurse Jackie (Moved to Bed)
Nurse Jackie - Ryerson +5 to medical rolls [4d6] = 11 vs 16

Engineering Ensign Nesterowicz (cot) - Ryerson [4d6] = 13 vs 11

Serious
Security Ensign Dukes (cot) - Ryerson [4d6] = 5 vs 11

Engineering Officer Chell (Moved to cot)
Engineering Officer Chell (cot) - Ryerson [4d6] = 17 vs 11

Engineering Ensign Arp (Moved to cot)
Engineering Ensign Arp (cot) - Telka [3d6] = 10 vs 11

Engineering Ensign Cordon - Telka -3 to medical rolls [3d6] = 10 vs 8

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Starbeard »

U.S.S. Janus Sickbay: orbiting Coxa II
Stardate 2271.3.23: 0200h

There is a tense and heartfelt moment of silence as the dead are covered and removed from sickbay, then the nurses get back to work.

With some nourishment in his system, the next hour flies by. His patients respond more positively to treatments, and the general atmosphere in the room is one of relief and optimism. Most of the serious cases have been treated successfully, and key personnel will be able to return to their vital positions in the morning.

The nurses busy themselves with helping patients in and out of bed for another round of care, and periodically monitoring those with minor injuries to make sure nothing serious has been missed. The brief lull in activity brings on another wave of fatigue in everyone, fiercer than the last. Commander Vek notices and grunts at Ryerson. "You are run ragged, Doctor. We have prisoners on board, and I have duties to perform. I promise to come back tomorrow to have my arm healed."

Vek gives Security Lieutenant Ayala a brief once over, scoffs at his leg injury and orders him to accompany to her out of sickbay, when suddenly…
3 out of 6 cots are taken up by recuperating urgent care patients: Nurse Baker, Science Officer Bacon, Science Ensign Boyle.

Critical
Nurse Jackie healed (ready in the morning)
Security Ensign Ward healed (ready in the morning)
Engineering Ensign Petrus healed (ready in the morning)
Engineering Ensign Nesterowicz (bed)

Serious
Once healed, they can be kept anywhere in sickbay and will be ready for action in 2 hours. A second skill roll can be risked to bring them back into action immediately, but failure has a 10% chance of turning them Serious again. After four more hours, those still wounded will begin to take on "permanent injuries" (i.e., they won't be able to contribute to the ship)
Security Ensign Dukes healed (ready at 4am)
Engineering Ensign Rush healed (ready at 3am)
Engineering Ensign Arp healed (ready at 4am)
Engineering Officer Chell (bed)
Engineering Ensign Cordon (bed)

Minor
Science Officer Horner healed, returned to duty
Engineering Ensign Peck healed, returned to duty
Security Chief Vek (leaving anyway)
Security Officer Ayala (leaving anyway)
Engineering Officer Fisher (bed)
Engineering Ensign Castro (cot)
Engineering Ensign Devlin (cot)
Engineering Ensign Meyers (cot)
Engineering Ensign Valdes