LFP - The Lost City -B/X - looking for 1-2 more players

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

LFP - The Lost City -B/X - looking for 1-2 more players

#1 Post by Dogma »

Anyone interested in running though The Lost City with the B/X rules?
Last edited by Dogma on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: LFP - The Lost City -BECMI

#2 Post by Alethan »

I find myself recently minus one game.

I'd like to hear a bit about your GM style, if you don't mind...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Makofan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Makofan »

Sign me up

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Lol. Invasion of the ODD74s!

Flambeaux
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by Flambeaux »

I'm interested.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

I'm interested! Note: I have the 83' Mentzer Basic, Expert and Companion books....but NOT the Moldvay set nor the hardbound Rules Cyclopedia. Will this cause any problems?

-Max

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Dogma »

Alethan wrote:I find myself recently minus one game.

To start, it's been awhile since I've DMed a game, particularly using the BECMI or AD&D rules. I just recently started GMing a DCC RPG game for my RL group, but we're only 3 sessions in. I had run a couple 3.5 PbP games several years back. That being said, I did DM quite a bit back in the day, which I think has definitely influenced my DM philosophy. These are in no particular order as too importance just general ideas that shape how I play/DM/

1) I don't believe a game should be balanced, but I do belive it should be fair. There should be encounters that the party can't handle, but there should also be a way out if they play smart. An example would be a group of PC encountering a large horde of orcs in a dungeon. There's no way they should take them on in a straight up fight, but they could potentially negotiate/bluff their way out.

2) I believe 'story' is created by the interactions of the PC and their choices in the game and the fall of the dice, not some preset, fore-ordained idea I have as DM.

3) I don't belive I need to kill PCs and a DM, but I need to provide them choices to get themselves killed :D (this goes along with point 1)

4) I hate min/maxing characters and fudging dice rolls

5) I have found, as a DM, that it is almost always in my best interest and the game's best interest to say "yes" when a PC wants to try something crazy and outragious, and then let them roll the dice. Succeeding big or failing big are always the parts of the game that get remembered.

I think its would would be termed a very "Old School" approach.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Dogma »

max_vale wrote:I'm interested! Note: I have the 83' Mentzer Basic, Expert and Companion books....but NOT the Moldvay set nor the hardbound Rules Cyclopedia. Will this cause any problems?

-Max
I was planning on using the Moldvay/Cook versions of the Basic and Expert rules as those are the ones I used to play as a kid. I know there are some differenceces between Mentzer and Moldvay, such as different saving throw progressions and the inclusion of skills and weapon specializations in Mentzer.

I might have a Mentzer version of the basic rules that I got in a collection of stuff on Ebay. Let me dig thorugh my box o' RPG stuff and see what I can dig up.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Dogma wrote:
Alethan wrote:I find myself recently minus one game.

To start, it's been awhile since I've DMed a game, particularly using the BECMI or AD&D rules. I just recently started GMing a DCC RPG game for my RL group, but we're only 3 sessions in. I had run a couple 3.5 PbP games several years back. That being said, I did DM quite a bit back in the day, which I think has definitely influenced my DM philosophy. These are in no particular order as too importance just general ideas that shape how I play/DM/

1) I don't believe a game should be balanced, but I do belive it should be fair. There should be encounters that the party can't handle, but there should also be a way out if they play smart. An example would be a group of PC encountering a large horde of orcs in a dungeon. There's no way they should take them on in a straight up fight, but they could potentially negotiate/bluff their way out.

2) I believe 'story' is created by the interactions of the PC and their choices in the game and the fall of the dice, not some preset, fore-ordained idea I have as DM.

3) I don't belive I need to kill PCs and a DM, but I need to provide them choices to get themselves killed :D (this goes along with point 1)

4) I hate min/maxing characters and fudging dice rolls

5) I have found, as a DM, that it is almost always in my best interest and the game's best interest to say "yes" when a PC wants to try something crazy and outragious, and then let them roll the dice. Succeeding big or failing big are always the parts of the game that get remembered.

I think its would would be termed a very "Old School" approach.
Muchos gracias for the information.

I'm in, unless there are no spots left and someone new to the forums wants in the game. Then I'll be the first to volunteer my spot.

(Nothing against you; I just feel new members (or, rather, a US forum member who is not in any game) should have precedence to a game over someone who has several active games currently going on. The more people we can get involved, the greater this forum becomes. And that's really one of my main goals)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

I know I have PDFs of the Moldvay B and E books. I'll see if I can dropbox them and provide a link here, if that would interest anyone.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Computer +1 »

I have none of the boxes or I would be interested. :(

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:I have none of the boxes or I would be interested. :(
Alethan wrote:I know I have PDFs of the Moldvay B and E books. I'll see if I can dropbox them and provide a link here, if that would interest anyone.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Computer +1 »

I saw the post, just wonder if I would need the others too..

If not sign me up!

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by riftstone »

I would be very interested in playing if there is room!

Thanks,

Rift

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:I saw the post, just wonder if I would need the others too..

If not sign me up!

For the most part, aside from chargen and spell selection and such, most of these games shouldn't require anyone, aside from the GM, to have the rule books.

The way I see it, players should focus more on playing their character and less on the mechanics of the game. Let the GM worry about probabilities and possibilities. Let the player figure out what they need to do in order to survive/move forward.

So, for example:

Player 1: "Frank takes the potion, pulls the stopper, and drinks it."
GM: "Player 1, please make a saving throw roll."
Player 1: "Uh oh! What is the saving throw for? Magic? Poison? What do I need to beat?"
GM: "Does it matter if you know the target number? Just roll a d20 and you'll find out what happens when you drink a potion given to you by a stranger in an alley..."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Vargr1105 »

Hmmm...I think I have room for one more game. You can count me in.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by thirdkingdom »

I would like to express my interest in playing. I just learned of this forum, but play often on one or two other sites and am a regular reliable poster, who, having learned with BECMI, am a fervent supporter of the OSR.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Mushgnome
Makofan
Flambeaux
max_vale
Computer +1
riftstone
Vargr1105
thirdkingdom

You have eight lined up so far, Dogma. I'd call that interest. :)

(Told you guys we needed some more BECMI games on the forum!)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:...

You have eight lined up so far, Dogma. I'd call that interest. :)

(Told you guys we needed some more BECMI games on the forum!)
Ya think??? :)
This may be the fastest filling PbP we've had. My.

Hey thirdkingdom, good to see you. Maybe a "Third Kingdom" PbP is in the future of Unseen Servant?
;)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “Looking for players or games”