Anybody up for WEG's 1st Edition Star Wars d6: 'Starfall'?

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Anybody up for WEG's 1st Edition Star Wars d6: 'Starfall'?

#1 Post by max_vale »

To those who don't know me; I'm Max....I'm 36, live on the East Coast (Maryland); have been playing RPGs since I was about 10 and have DM'd/GM'd for almost as long. As the title says; I'm throwing it out there that I'd like to run a 1st Edition West End Games Star Wars d6 module titled 'Starfall'.

I'd have a few houserules; but anyone familiar with any version of d6 would easily get the rules; and really; anyone can pretty quickly grasp the rules...it's one of the simplest and most adaptable RPG systems I've ever seen.

The module is set during the Rebellion against the Empire (i.e. the same Time frame as 'Star Wars' and 'Empire Strikes Back'); and begins with the PCs as members of the Rebel Alliance who have been captured by the Imperials and are in the cellblock onboard a Star Destroyer when a sudden attack from other ships momentarily cuts off the power and allows the PCs to make a break for it!

I'm looking for 3-6 Players; experience with WEG's d6 is preferable...but really, the whole system is basically "roll a number of six sided dice to beat a target number"...pretty simple!

If I have 3 or 4 players; one player can be an Alien character; if I have 5 or 6 players then 1-2 players can be Aliens. I'll allow 1 Jedi (LOW-POWERED) character if somebody wants to play one.

Any/all rules/systems questions: ask away!

Anybody interested out there?

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Anybody up for WEG's 1st Edition Star Wars d6: 'Starfall

#2 Post by angelicdoctor »

Yes. I am very much interested though I have never actually played the WEG version. I've been a RCR and Saga game master to this point but have been interested in playing the West End Games version especially since the release of the new Beta system from Fantasy Flight Games. I do have in my possession the 2nd edtion, revised and expanded core rule book.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by max_vale »

Nice to meetcha Angelicdoctor! (Angel? Doc? :) )

If you have the 2nd Edition (Revised or not); then the 1st Edition really isn't much different. I'm one of the very few (that I know of) who seems to prefer the 1st Edition over the 2nd....but really there isn't much difference. (I also use a few houserules!)

The biggest differences are the lack of Character Points and the 'Wild Die' mechanic; and some of the 'rules upgrades' that were put in later 1st Edition material were 'standard' in 2nd Edition.

I MAY incorporate the Wild Die; or a version of it.....I'll probably allow the PCs to vote on it! Anyway, welcome aboard!

-Max

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by angelicdoctor »

Thanks for the consideration. I do believe that my local 1/2 Price has a copy of the first edition. I will check again this weekend and, if it is still there, I will make a purchase.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Computer +1 »

I played d6 star wars a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Is the core book around as a pdf?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

Computer +1: No idea...I'm not a big fan of PDFs; I like the actual book in my hands!

They're not hard to find though...and are probably pretty cheap on Amazon or Eby (and by cheap...I mean probably between 10-20 bucks!) if that helps.

I can also walk you guys through the basics....it's a VERY easy game to grasp.

Computer, Angelic: Any ideas of what kind of characters you guys are interested in playing?

-Max

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by angelicdoctor »

The Force-Sensitive Exile! :mrgreen:

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by angelicdoctor »

I just came back to the house after a short visit to the local half price. They still had the first edition WEG book on the shelf. Well, that is, until before I showed up to purchase it. Got a great looking copy for a mere $8.65. I'm all set!

Come on, folks! We need more heroes to join the Rebellion against the Empire!
Last edited by angelicdoctor on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Vargr1105 »

angelicdoctor wrote:The Force-Sensitive Exile! :mrgreen:
Hookey religions brought forth by old men are useless compared to a trusty blaster. ;)

WarGrunte
Runner
Runner

#10 Post by WarGrunte »

Right I am willing to join in on the fun, if you will have me. I do not have, or can get, a core book easily (unless its a pdf) but I am willing to learn. Not very experienced in RPG games like this, though that is thanks to every time I try to join one, they do not fall through. But I am a big fan of Star Wars, and would really love to join in on the fun.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by max_vale »

Welcome aboard WarGrunte!

Don't worry about not having the rules; they're VERY EASY to grasp....essentially everything is listed in a Die Code of a number of d6s (Six sided Dice)...sometimes with a +1 or +2 afterwards....i.e. 3d (meaning roll 3 d6s) or 4d+1 (meaning roll 4 d6s and add 1 to the sum).

Numbers rolled on Dice are ALWAYS added together for a final number....that number is then compared to a Difficulty number and success or failure is based on whether the number rolled was higher or lower than the difficulty number. HOW much higher/lower can determine level of success or failure.

Example: Joe the Smuggler is shooting at a Stormtrooper with his trusty Blaster Pistol. The range is short and the Stormtropper is not dodging; so the Difficulty number is 10. Joe has a Blaster skill of 5d+2.

Joe rolls his 5 dice and gets: 1, 3, 4, 4, 6. He adds this together and gets 18....with the +2; this equals 20. This is twice the Difficulty number of 10; so Joe DRILLS the Stormtrooper with his shot!

This in essence; is the major mechanic of d6 Star Wars......Pretty simple! :)

Angelic: I don't really use "Force Sensitives"....either your character is a Jedi or the character isn't. It's cool if you want to play one; and any of the Templates (or altered version thereof) in the Main Rulebook are fine....i.e.; the Minor Jedi; The Failed Jedi; the Alien Student of the Force and my personal favorite: the Quixotic Jedi!

Of course; it's also cool to create a Template NOT in the book; so if you wanted to play an Exiled character that has Jedi powers; cool deal.

Vargr: Is that interest I hear? (Hoping.....) :)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by max_vale »

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that I'm going to be going on an unexpected trip for work (the person who was SUPPOSED to go; bailed out at the last moment...grumble, grumble)....starting tomorrow; so my availability to get on the site will be pretty minimal for the next week or so.....sorry people! ;(

However, I SHOULD be able to get in now and then; so please feel free to ask any questions/make comments/jump aboard!

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Vargr1105 »

max_vale wrote:Vargr: Is that interest I hear? (Hoping.....) :)
Yeah, sure. Count me in. If your SW doesn't have Gungans, Trade Federations or Yhuzan Vong I'm up for it.

I have only played a SW D6 one-shot, 1st Edition. I would vote for going 1st Ed by-the-book forsaking Wild Dies and all that, and going with the existing templates. Keep it simple = keep it fast in PbPs.

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by angelicdoctor »

max_vale wrote:Angelic: I don't really use "Force Sensitives"....either your character is a Jedi or the character isn't. It's cool if you want to play one; and any of the Templates (or altered version thereof) in the Main Rulebook are fine....i.e.; the Minor Jedi; The Failed Jedi; the Alien Student of the Force and my personal favorite: the Quixotic Jedi!

Of course; it's also cool to create a Template NOT in the book; so if you wanted to play an Exiled character that has Jedi powers; cool deal.
Might you consider a Zeison Sha type character? This type of disc throwing force-sensitive really intrigues me. I also like the fact that the Jedi Order is despised by this group without their necessarily being dark side adherents.

If not, I may consider the 'Alien Student of the Force' template.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Computer +1 »

I got the book.

I would like to play "The Merc"

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Vargr1105 »

And I will take the "Bounty Hunter".

WarGrunte
Runner
Runner

#17 Post by WarGrunte »

I will be the Smuggler than, just so there is not a overly combat-based team. And to have a character that is allowed to use humor. Because we all know Bounty Hunters are so well known for their humor, even if most of their jokes end in a bang.

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by angelicdoctor »

Looks like we have at least four players. max_vale, are you good to get this one started?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by NJWilliam »

I'm interested. PM sent.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Vargr1105 »

angelicdoctor wrote:Looks like we have at least four players. max_vale, are you good to get this one started?
Max is away on a business trip with limited net access. I guess we have to wait until his return to get SW started.

Return to “Looking for players or games”