[Waitlist] New 5e Game: How to Get to 5th Level?

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

[Waitlist] New 5e Game: How to Get to 5th Level?

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Player's Needed: 4-5

Players
  1. Shaede
  2. GreyWolfVT
  3. Monsieur Rose
  4. Scott308
  5. Mister-Kent

------

Okay, I have plans for what to do with the group once they reach 5th level. How to get the group to 5th level, however, leaves me with a few choices:
  1. Lost Mine of Phandelver
    Lost Mine of Phandelver.jpg
    Lost Mine of Phandelver.jpg (244.62 KiB) Viewed 644 times
  2. Sunless Citadel
    (Note: This, plus the 'Forge of Fury' should take the group up to 5th level.)
    Sunless Citadel.jpg
    Sunless Citadel.jpg (232.14 KiB) Viewed 644 times
  3. Treasure of the Broken Hoard
    Treasure of the Broken Hoard (DDAL05-01).jpg
    Treasure of the Broken Hoard (DDAL05-01).jpg (145.17 KiB) Viewed 635 times

So, while I wait for the new game to be created, I figured I would officially start the recruitment process.

---
  • I am looking for 4-5 players that will all start with brand new characters. I will definitely accept anything in the Player's Handbook, and may be willing to consider material for other sources as well (e.g. Xanther's Guide to Everything), upon request.
  • Expect to spend a decent amount of time on the character creation process. Player's can choose whichever background they'd like, but I expect the traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, and a trinket to be determined randomly and worked into a character background. I also expect details about the character's family (parents, siblings, children) and/or friends to be included into this background as well.
  • The game will take place in Forgotten Realms, most likely someplace along the Sword Coast.
  • I will create a 'house rules' thread, which will include a few blurbs about general gameplay (e.g. posting rate (daily), die rolls, etc...), but since I don't know the rules well enough to know what works and what doesn't, expect the game to be played rules as written to start. These 'house rules' will be a living document that I will update as actual game rulings or situations dictate.
As I am still new to 5e (I played in my 5th ever session last night), expect it to begin somewhat more casually, with an active out-of-character thread where rules or situations can be discussed. That said, expect for this to be a long running campaign, with characters ultimately advancing to 11th or 12th level under my current plans (but can be extended).

Please reply to this thread if you have any questions, or if you're interested in participating.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: New 5e Game: How to Get to 5th Level?

#2 Post by Shaede »

Woo Hoo! Count me in. So, In order of personal preference: A. Sunless Citadel; B. Treasure of the Broken Hoard; C. Lost Mine of Phandelver.

I'll start thinking about what I want to play, but I'm thinking a ranger - PHB only. Mostly because I don't have Xanthar's Guide and want to get a firm foundation on PHB before venturing off.

I sit at a computer all work week so can post multiple times daily (M-F CST). Weekends are a bit tougher and maybe once per weekend.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Nice, that's one. Still looking for three (or four) more.
Shaede wrote:In order of personal preference: A. Sunless Citadel; B. Treasure of the Broken Hoard; C. Lost Mine of Phandelver.
Noted. While I did add that anyone is welcome to vote in the poll I created, the votes of the players participating will obviously factor in more when it comes to the final decision.
Shaede wrote:I'll start thinking about what I want to play, but I'm thinking a ranger - PHB only. Mostly because I don't have Xanthar's Guide and want to get a firm foundation on PHB before venturing off.
Sounds good on the ranger. I haven't really looked at that class, so I'll be sure to start taking a look and familiarizing myself with them and their capabilities.

I'm kind of in the same boat, and looking to really use the early goings to get a solid footing with the rules, but I'm also willing to let a player stray as far off the beaten path as they'd like. I'll have to learn it eventually, right?
Shaede wrote:I sit at a computer all work week so can post multiple times daily (M-F CST). Weekends are a bit tougher and maybe once per weekend.
Same.

My plan is to update my currently running Basic game during the day, and update this 5e game at night. I don't plan on lugging all my 5e books with me to work, so I won't have access to the rules until I get home anyway unless I break down and subscribe to D&D Beyond and purchase the rulebooks again (which I just priced and and will almost certainly not happen any time soon).

Anyway, in a pinch, I can refer to the basic rules, the D&D Wiki, and/or the SRD, but don't expect for me to actually move the game until later in the evening after the wife and kids go to bed. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I voted too. Yup it was me... I also might be interested but. I'm holding out to allow "fresher" players express interest. In other words letting others have a chance to play, however I do want to give 5e a second chance, being the circumstances are good a good DM good other players unlike my beta testing run over on G+. So for now Dave toss me on the "wait list" unless you don't get the number of players needed then definitely throw me down to play. ;) also it appears we can select more than one choice on the poll? I selected 2 of them & yes I just basically said I think you are a great DM Dave. :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I also might be interested... So for now Dave toss me on the "wait list" unless you don't get the number of players needed then definitely throw me down to play. ;)
Nice. I have a feeling I may need you. :D

I am definitely not looking to convert anyone to 5e, but will obviously welcome anyone that wants to give it a chance. There's a lot to like about it, there's no doubt that it has a different "feel" which does takes some getting used to.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Shaede »

dmw71 wrote:
Shaede wrote:I'll start thinking about what I want to play, but I'm thinking a ranger - PHB only. Mostly because I don't have Xanthar's Guide and want to get a firm foundation on PHB before venturing off.
Sounds good on the ranger. I haven't really looked at that class, so I'll be sure to start taking a look and familiarizing myself with them and their capabilities.

I'm kind of in the same boat, and looking to really use the early goings to get a solid footing with the rules, but I'm also willing to let a player stray as far off the beaten path as they'd like. I'll have to learn it eventually, right?
Maybe it's too early to ask, but what kind of attribute rolls are you thinking? Standard array, 27pt buy, 4d6 drop lowest? I'm just starting to work on him now.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Maybe it's too early to ask, but what kind of attribute rolls are you thinking? Standard array, 27pt buy, 4d6 drop lowest? I'm just starting to work on him now.
Not too early at all. Let's go with the 27 point buy method (which you could technically use to duplicate the standard array).

Feel free to use the 'Attribute Point-Buy Calculator' or, there's a list of all the different combinations found here: [5e] Here is a complete list of valid ability score combinations for the point-buying ability score variation in 5th edition.
[5e] Here is a complete list of valid ability score combinations for the point-buying ability score variation in 5th edition.

"This is not my list; as far as I know, full credit goes to the forum user overpromises on the wotc community forums for doing the grunt work on this.

I was looking for this and found it online after a bit of googling. Figured you guys might like to have this bookmarked or RES saved as well. See page 13 of the 5ePH under the heading 'Variant: Customizing Ability Scores' if you're a bit confused as to what this is good for:

15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8

15, 15, 14, 10, 8, 8

15, 15, 14, 9, 9, 8

15, 15, 13, 12, 8, 8

15, 15, 13, 11, 9, 8

15, 15, 13, 10, 10, 8

15, 15, 13, 10, 9, 9

15, 15, 12, 12, 9, 8

15, 15, 12, 11, 10, 8

15, 15, 12, 11, 9, 9

15, 15, 12, 10, 10, 9

15, 15, 11, 11, 11, 8

15, 15, 11, 11, 10, 9

15, 15, 11, 10, 10, 10

15, 14, 14, 12, 8, 8

15, 14, 14, 11, 9, 8

15, 14, 14, 10, 10, 8

15, 14, 14, 10, 9, 9

15, 14, 13, 13, 9, 8

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 <--- Standard Array

15, 14, 13, 12, 9, 9

15, 14, 13, 11, 11, 8

15, 14, 13, 11, 10, 9

15, 14, 13, 10, 10, 10

15, 14, 12, 12, 11, 8

15, 14, 12, 12, 10, 9

15, 14, 12, 11, 11, 9

15, 14, 12, 11, 10, 10

15, 14, 11, 11, 11, 10

15, 13, 13, 13, 11, 8

15, 13, 13, 13, 10, 9

15, 13, 13, 12, 12, 8

15, 13, 13, 12, 11, 9

15, 13, 13, 12, 10, 10

15, 13, 13, 11, 11, 10

15, 13, 12, 12, 12, 9

15, 13, 12, 12, 11, 10

15, 13, 12, 11, 11, 11

15, 12, 12, 12, 12, 10

15, 12, 12, 12, 11, 11

14, 14, 14, 13, 9, 8

14, 14, 14, 12, 10, 8

14, 14, 14, 12, 9, 9

14, 14, 14, 11, 11, 8

14, 14, 14, 11, 10, 9

14, 14, 14, 10, 10, 10

14, 14, 13, 13, 11, 8

14, 14, 13, 13, 10, 9

14, 14, 13, 12, 12, 8

14, 14, 13, 12, 11, 9

14, 14, 13, 12, 10, 10

14, 14, 13, 11, 11, 10

14, 14, 12, 12, 12, 9

14, 14, 12, 12, 11, 10

14, 14, 12, 11, 11, 11

14, 13, 13, 13, 13, 8

14, 13, 13, 13, 12, 9

14, 13, 13, 13, 11, 10

14, 13, 13, 12, 12, 10

14, 13, 13, 12, 11, 11

14, 13, 12, 12, 12, 11

14, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 10

13, 13, 13, 13, 12, 11

13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12

edit: I apologize for excluding this in my original post, but it should be noted that 1) no score may be chosen higher than 15 with the point-buy system, but 2) these arrays are listed prior to racial bonuses. Your initial scores with racial bonuses applied may be higher than 15. Eg., the highest Constitution score you may choose for a character is 15, but if your character is a dwarf, the dwarven racial bonus adds an additional +2 to Constitution, giving the dwarf a starting Constitution of 17."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#8 Post by Scott308 »

I have a couple of points you may wish to consider, regarding the choice of adventure. Hedgeknight ran part of Lost Mines of Phandelver a while back, which may limit your potential pool of players, assuming those that were in that game do not wish to repeat it. Having said that, you may be able to recruit a full group of players anyway. LMoP is an excellent adventure, and I highly recommend it. It is designed to teach players (and DMs) new to 5E, so it would work out well for everyone.

Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury is a very good combo, with Citadel leading nicely into Forge.

Lastly, Treasure of the Broken Hoard, while designed for beginning players, will not get you anywhere near 5th level. You would need to supplement with additional adventures. Fortunately, there are plenty of Tier 1 adventures available through the http://www.dmsguild.com when you are ready to start looking for the next adventure, and Tier 2 content when characters get to level 5.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:Hedgeknight ran part of Lost Mines of Phandelver a while back, which may limit your potential pool of players, assuming those that were in that game do not wish to repeat it. Having said that, you may be able to recruit a full group of players anyway. LMoP is an excellent adventure, and I highly recommend it. It is designed to teach players (and DMs) new to 5E, so it would work out well for everyone.
It's been run here already?! I'm almost afraid to go looking for it, especially if Gary ran it. As for the adventure itself, I've heard nothing but praise for it, and it seems like a logical choice... but, I wanted to present other options as well since I figured most players that have played 5e are probably familiar with it, and have likely already attempted or completed it.

I didn't buy the Starter Box, but did buy the adventure in Roll20. I haven't really looked at it yet, and I'm not sure how the actual module part of it works, but I'm sure I can figure it out. Having the maps already made is a big thing for me, though. One less thing I'll need to really worry about.
Scott308 wrote:Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury is a very good combo, with Citadel leading nicely into Forge.
I have 'Tales From the Yawning Portal,' in which they're the first two. They're both, I believe 3e modules, so I'm not familiar with either, but they're supposedly really good.
Scott308 wrote:Lastly, Treasure of the Broken Hoard, while designed for beginning players, will not get you anywhere near 5th level. You would need to supplement with additional adventures.
I actually knew that. I own all of season 5, and of all of them, it was the one that was "optimized for five 1st‐level characters." There are 19 in the DDAL05 in total, and I don't know which one would come next, but I was planning on figuring that out later. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I will definitely accept anything in the Player's Handbook, and may be willing to consider material for other sources as well (e.g. Xanther's Guide to Everything), upon request.
While I reserve the right to disallow something if I do not believe it will fit in the game, I've decided to accept anything from any source I own.
5e Sources.jpg
5e Sources.jpg (305.07 KiB) Viewed 577 times
(Note:
  • The PHB is not shown in the picture, but will obviously be used;
  • If there is something from another source now shown that you'd like to use, feel free to ask.
dmw71 wrote:* Expect to spend a decent amount of time on the character creation process. Player's can choose whichever background they'd like, but I expect the traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, and a trinket to be determined randomly and worked into a character background. I also expect details about the character's family (parents, siblings, children) and/or friends to be included into this background as well.
I actually just finished skimming the material in 'Xanathar's Gude to Everything' and there are actually tables to help determine this. A player is obviously welcome to come up with their family details on their own, but definitely feel free to randomly generate these results as well if you'd like. (Note: If you do not own 'Xanathar's Gude to Everything' but would like help with this, just let me know.) :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You don't need to have me listed as potentially just put me down as in Dave. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Nice, man. The more I play it, the more I like it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ok, ok. Twist my arm. I'm interested. I really love learning new systems, even more if I can play after I learn it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Ok, ok. Twist my arm. I'm interested.
Awesome, man. Feel free to vote in the poll, and/or share your preference on adventure.

Hopefully we can get one or two more and get started.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#15 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:It's been run here already?! I'm almost afraid to go looking for it, especially if Gary ran it. As for the adventure itself, I've heard nothing but praise for it, and it seems like a logical choice... but, I wanted to present other options as well since I figured most players that have played 5e are probably familiar with it, and have likely already attempted or completed it.
I believe it was called Hedgeknight's Adventures in the Realms. I had given him some help with a 5e rule, and then read the play-through as I had run it myself at home, and was interested in seeing how the players here did. It was fun to follow along.
dmw71 wrote:I actually knew that. I own all of season 5, and of all of them, it was the one that was "optimized for five 1st‐level characters." There are 19 in the DDAL05 in total, and I don't know which one would come next, but I was planning on figuring that out later. ;)
Good. I didn't know if you had really looked at the Broken Hoard series yet. I hoped you didn't think that with five adventures, players should get to a pretty decent level.

I've run Lost Mines and Broken Hoards, and have read/ am running Citadel/ Forge, although that seems to have stalled. If you go with Broken Hoards, I may be interested in playing, letting everyone else drive the action, and really getting into whatever you run next. I love 5e and have not played it by forum, yet. That'd give me a chance to work on a class/ race combo that would not be AL legal.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:
dmw71 wrote:I will definitely accept anything in the Player's Handbook, and may be willing to consider material for other sources as well (e.g. Xanther's Guide to Everything), upon request.
While I reserve the right to disallow something if I do not believe it will fit in the game, I've decided to accept anything from any source I own.
5e Sources.jpg
(Note:
  • The PHB is not shown in the picture, but will obviously be used;
  • If there is something from another source now shown that you'd like to use, feel free to ask.
dmw71 wrote:* Expect to spend a decent amount of time on the character creation process. Player's can choose whichever background they'd like, but I expect the traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, and a trinket to be determined randomly and worked into a character background. I also expect details about the character's family (parents, siblings, children) and/or friends to be included into this background as well.
I actually just finished skimming the material in 'Xanathar's Gude to Everything' and there are actually tables to help determine this. A player is obviously welcome to come up with their family details on their own, but definitely feel free to randomly generate these results as well if you'd like. (Note: If you do not own 'Xanathar's Gude to Everything' but would like help with this, just let me know.) :)
I almost mentioned the background generation tables in Xanathar's, but didn't know if you had it. Didn't want to complicate things if you did not own it.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I believe it was called Hedgeknight's Adventures in the Realms. I had given him some help with a 5e rule, and then read the play-through as I had run it myself at home, and was interested in seeing how the players here did. It was fun to follow along.
I found it... but I'm not going to read it. Gary was one of my first DMs when I discovered playing D&D online, on a different website I can't even remember the name of anymore, and it was such a fun game! He was, and I'm sure still is, a very talented DM -- I'm afraid to see his game, and always worry about the comparisons.

It doesn't look like he ran it as 5e, though, based on the characters, which I did look at since I'm now starting to wonder what to do about character sheets.
Scott308 wrote:Good. I didn't know if you had really looked at the Broken Hoard series yet. I hoped you didn't think that with five adventures, players should get to a pretty decent level.
I haven't actually looked at the adventure itself yet. I purchased the whole season in PDF format as a bundle, and went through each to find how it's optimized, and it appears, at least for the most part, that they're in at least loose sequential order. I believe 'Broken Hoard' was the only one that was optimized for 1st level characters (all the other T1 adventures seemed to be optimized for 3rd-level?), which is why I listed it as the other option I would consider running. I have no idea how far it will advance a party (2nd level? 3rd?), but I'm confident that some combination of the other 18 modules in the season will help get the players up to 5th-level... which is my goal.
Scott308 wrote:I've run Lost Mines and Broken Hoards, and have read/ am running Citadel/ Forge, although that seems to have stalled. If you go with Broken Hoards, I may be interested in playing, letting everyone else drive the action....
In truth, my preference would probably be Lost Mines or Citadel/Forge, only because I own them in Roll20, so all the maps are already done for me. I'm checking now, but I'm pretty sure 'Broken Hoards' won't exist for purchase (it's not), so I'd need to manually build and dynamically light, etc... all the maps for it (plus the next adventures until the group reaches 5th level).

I'm willing to do it, but the other options will be easier in that regard, and not having to worry about mapping would admittedly be a big relief.
Scott308 wrote:...and really getting into whatever you run next.
PM forthcoming.
Scott308 wrote:I love 5e and have not played it by forum, yet.
I had my sixth ever session this past Thursday night and am feeling a lot more comfortable with 5e... while solidifying my positive impression of it. (Though, I'll have to admit it felt strange to make a Strength (Athletics) check instead of rolling a bend bars percentage when trying to squeeze through a portcullis).

That said, I like so many of the rules!

I still worry about all the special features every class gets, and that will certainly take some getting used to (from a DM perspective), but I really, really like this game.

• I've read the PHB (skimming chapters 2 and 3 on races and classes).
    I've read the 'Master of Rules' section of the DMG.
    I've read Xantathar's Guide (skimming chapters 1 and 3, on classes and spells).

I truly do not feel the need to house rule anything. There are 'variant' rules listed in the different sources which I might clarify my position on, and the DMG offered some other optional stuff, but I feel the system is extremely solid and does not require much (if any) tinkering.

Just play.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:(Though, I'll have to admit it felt strange to make a Strength (Athletics) check instead of rolling a bend bars percentage when trying to squeeze through a portcullis).
Which, after rereading the rules, probably should have been just a Strength check (without the benefit of the Athletics skill).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#19 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:I found it... but I'm not going to read it. Gary was one of my first DMs when I discovered playing D&D online, on a different website I can't even remember the name of anymore, and it was such a fun game! He was, and I'm sure still is, a very talented DM -- I'm afraid to see his game, and always worry about the comparisons.

It doesn't look like he ran it as 5e, though, based on the characters, which I did look at since I'm now starting to wonder what to do about character sheets.
Similar name, but not the correct game. Here is the correct one.
I haven't actually looked at the adventure itself yet. I purchased the whole season in PDF format as a bundle, and went through each to find how it's optimized, and it appears, at least for the most part, that they're in at least loose sequential order. I believe 'Broken Hoard' was the only one that was optimized for 1st level characters (all the other T1 adventures seemed to be optimized for 3rd-level?), which is why I listed it as the other option I would consider running. I have no idea how far it will advance a party (2nd level? 3rd?), but I'm confident that some combination of the other 18 modules in the season will help get the players up to 5th-level... which is my goal.
Broken Hoard is optimized for 1st level, as it is assumed players will start with the intro adventure for the season before continuing on, making it less likely the DM will need to adjust the difficulty for Average Party Level. The intro adventures are also a great way for brand new players to get used to 5E/ Adventurers League. I know when running them at conventions, they get a two hour slot, but there is really only an hour of play. The rest is bookkeeping, helping new players get pregen characters, giving out my DM info for the log sheets, helping new players fill out their log sheets, etc. The other modules will definitely get characters to 5th level.
In truth, my preference would probably be Lost Mines or Citadel/Forge, only because I own them in Roll20, so all the maps are already done for me. I'm checking now, but I'm pretty sure 'Broken Hoards' won't exist for purchase (it's not), so I'd need to manually build and dynamically light, etc... all the maps for it (plus the next adventures until the group reaches 5th level).

I'm willing to do it, but the other options will be easier in that regard, and not having to worry about mapping would admittedly be a big relief.
As far as Broken Hoard goes, the maps aren't that complex. Nothing you really need to worry about doing too much work on, assuming you are fine running them theater of the mind style. This does require a bit of hand-waving, as sometimes you need to know exactly who is in melee combat with someone, and who else is nearby. Having said that, I have played plenty of 5e without miniatures and it has worked fine. I am not as familiar with the other Tier 1 adventures, as I believe I have only had to ready higher tiers from this season to run at cons (aside from Broken Hoard).
PM forthcoming.
Back at ya.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Mister-Kent »

Still room for one more player, Dave?
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Return to “Looking for players or games”