OD&D Discord game [finished]

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OD&D Discord game [finished]

#1 Post by Starbeard »

I'm running an OD&D scenario today (6pm-11pm GMT) on Discord text chat. We'll be using the ODD74 forum's Discord server, The Vulgar Unicorn: https://discord.gg/uzRHz8

The scenario is very simple: you wake up in a dungeon cell, now try to make it out alive before time runs out.

If you're interested, let me know! I haven't had much time to advertise it properly in my usual gaming circles, so attendance will probably be very light this time around.

If it goes well, I might do more OD&D text games on Discord in the future.
Last edited by Starbeard on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OD&D Discord game starting now-ish

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sounds interesting almost like that thief challenge Grognardsw ran.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OD&D Discord game starting now-ish

#3 Post by Starbeard »

Yeah, it's pretty fun so far. We're still playing, but I think we have to cut an early end due to a server wide outage on Discord. We've got about half of the players back, but it's going up and down, and rolls aren't being logged. Bummer.

It was a lot of sneaking around at first, but eventually few bad encounters spun out of control and things have ended in the middle of a chase reminiscent of the escape from the Death Star. At the point we had to stop, they had just barricaded themselves inside a room that turned out to be sleeping quarters for a troop of bandits. The crazy dwarf slew a bunch on his way out, and they got chased further into another room where they surprised a sorcerer at his studies. The servers finally crashed for good after the crazy dwarf nearly killed the sorcerer in a surprise round, with plenty more guards in tow, ready to engage the party in melee if they won initiative.

They were using everything they could find as weapons: a headsman's axe from a torture room, a pair of chained manacles being used as a ball-and-chain, and a severed leg and torches as clubs. Good fun!

All in all a pretty good success. The format is great for pick-up games with basic characters and easy dice rolls, so I think I'll run more every once in awhile, maybe every month. The channel stays logged too, so you can keep it going as a campaign if you like too.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OD&D Discord game [finished]

#4 Post by rredmond »

Discord is just text?
Trying to figure how this is different than Roll20.
Be well,
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Discord can do a lot more than just text Ron. However i like how Starbeard is implementing it in a text based manner much like how PyroArrow uses roll20 in just a text based manner. Sounds like a ton of fun Starbeard. :D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Roll20 I’m only just getting comfortable with. :D
Someone from a different forum was asking about discord. I pointed him to this game. Hope it went well!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Starbeard »

It did go pretty well, thanks Ron & GW.

Discord is basically the current generation's version of IRC/AIM/TeamTalk/VoIP, all rolled into one. You can create or join a server, either temporary or permanent, and then create text or audio channels within the server. Text chats are logged, and you can edit them later, so as long as people keep the idle chitchat in the main channel to a minimum it's pretty easy to follow. It also allows some pretty advanced text markdown for what amounts to a chatroom, and you can share images, link & videos as well, just drag & drop. I did that with some map images last night. There's also a dice roller you can add, which we used.

In all I think it was a successful experiment, and I'm planning on running more OD&D that way, maybe once a month or so.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

There are folks that do the same thing on google hangouts and skype though skype doesn't have the added bonuses of the roller that i know of, hangouts did/does the last i knew it also tied into roll20.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Starbeard »

Roll20 can be very nice for pbp games, since you can keep the game board saved. I think the main advantages of Discord are that audio is much better, and the text chats are easier to manage since you can make different channels on your server, like an OOC channel, an IC channel, and dice rolling channel. In Roll20 everything has to be in the one chat box, which can get cluttered.

Return to “Looking for players or games”