[Interest Check] AS&SH 2e

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

[Interest Check] AS&SH 2e

#1 Post by Tamerlaine »

I’m feeling good enough these days now that I’m considering running a new game based on Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyborea 2e. My initial idea is the adventurers travel to volcanic island where legend has it a long dead culture/race once inhabited the place and worshipped ancient and foul gods. There is treasure for those who are courageous (or foolish) enough to search the island.

The island has a small fortified settlement that caters to adventurers. There will be factions of races on the island as well. Still in the brain storming phase. I’d like to see if there are enough nibbles to attempt this campaign.

If AS&SH doesn’t work out, then I’ll consider another rule set. Perhaps Swords & Wizardry Complete with a weird fantasy vibe.

Anyhoo, let me know your interest.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Interest Check] AS&SH 2e

#2 Post by ybn1197 »

Count me in.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Man, I probably (ok, definitely) spend more time here than I should already. But I have this shiny new book from the Kickstarter, so count me in! If it stays AS&SH 2e, that is. If it ends up in a different system I will bow out.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Tamerlaine »

Two players interested! If I can get a third, I can play an NPC to get the game in play.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by hammerHead »

I will take the ring to Mordor though I do not know the way (i.e., I've never played this rules system).
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Tamerlaine »

I will take the ring to Mordor though I do not know the way (i.e., I've never played this rules system).
Players of all stripes are welcome. Of course to play you would need to have the 2e book or the PDF ($19 @ Drivethru), the latter which is steep but consider that the PDF is 622 pages! Anyone investing in the game would certainly be more involved with sticking to it (and that applies to myself with the chunk of hard cash I plunked down for the Kickstarter).

To be honest, I'm stoked to run this baby. I've got sooo many ideas for this deadly little sandbox and I want to bring the whole sword & sorcery vibe to it. Someone even mentioned this PbP recruitment thread (rredmond, thanks bro!) on the Hyborea web site http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=837.

So c'mon! If you've got the book or the pdf, come join. I'm salivating to bring this world to you. I'm committed to bringing you months, nay YEARS of tears and joy, of loss and triumph.

There, the moment of unabashed groveling has passed...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Tamerlaine wrote:Someone even mentioned this PbP recruitment thread (rredmond, thanks bro!) on the Hyborea web site http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=837.
29 views with about 66 active members that ain't bad. :)

I asked Jeff if it was cool first to advertise an off-site game, and he was all gung-ho for it. He wished us good luck with a PbP lasting though, he doesn't know how we roll here. ;) If any PbP site can pull it off, we can!

Good luck!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

your enthusiasm has me intrigued.

my concern is that I'm new to the rules and I worry I won't have time to pick up a new ruleset. How often would you expect people to be able to post?

I do like the sound of the Warlock!

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Tamerlaine »

shaidar wrote:How often would you expect people to be able to post?
Im thinking every two or three days. I’m not a stickler about this. Everyone is different and things always get in the way, so it’s cool if it takes someone longer to post.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

why not, I'm in, if you'll have me.

my posting is likely to be a bit spotty over christmas and new year

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by ybn1197 »

Tamerlaine wrote:
Someone even mentioned this PbP recruitment thread (rredmond, thanks bro!) on the Hyborea web site http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=837.
Yeah you have to watch him. :lol: He posted to the LFG Google+ board about my game. Gotta love someone who isn't involved in the game going that extra mile to help others out.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Tamerlaine »

Looks like we have 3 players throwing their hats into the ring. Let's do a headcount just to be sure so send me a PM declaring your fealt...err, interest.

Still looking for more players yet I'll be playing a NPC until another player joins.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

rredmond wrote:I asked Jeff if it was cool first to advertise an off-site game, and he was all gung-ho for it. He wished us good luck with a PbP lasting though, he doesn't know how we roll here. ;) If any PbP site can pull it off, we can!
Do you mean JT himself?

He is a convention circuit beer drinking buddy of mine, so I would love to see him proven wrong about this as well. :lol:

I will keep my eye on this one.......

I don't have the books, but I love me some AS&SH!!!

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Tamerlaine »

To the three that declared their intent, welcome aboard! First things first, I'll need to get the game forum started for you guys to join. I would like to see this go green after the holidays as I know everyone will be busy. I have the week off so I'll have some time to get things organized to a degree. In the meantime just use the interlude to consider your characters and to perhaps talk amongst yourselves and myself as to party composition and the rules in general. I make no demands on what a player should play but one ought to consider the benefits of a balanced party. You will either reap the benefits or suffer direly as a result of your individual choices. As I will be playing the 4th character as a NPC, my selection will be in the interest of the party (and please, stick with Hyborean style names...no Cracknut MacStuffypants!)

I do wish everyone a Happy Holiday and a Merry Christmas. Let's collectively make the year 2018 (and hopefully more) an amazing gaming experience as we usher AS&SH into the new year!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

cool, thanks for having me. I need to have a proper read of the rules, but my first thoughts were a magic wielding sub class of some type, but I'm flexible.

happy holidays to one and all.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

have you decided which method will be used to roll characters?

I am definitely interested in a Warlock, but I'm wondering if there are only 4 in the group then perhaps we should stick with main classes and not dilute our abilities, or perhaps we should try and be more flexible for the very same reason.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Tamerlaine »

Per the book...

Method III: Roll 4d6 and discard the lowest die roll. Generate six scores using this method. Assign scores to attributes as desired.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

thanks.

also up for a cleric, some interesting gods available :-)

under_score
Squire
Squire

#19 Post by under_score »

Hey, I wrote the review that rredmond advertised this game on. I've got no experience with pbp games but would like to follow this. AS&SH is my new favorite game and I'd love to read what other people are doing with it.
"A bloody sword begets a wealthy adventurer."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by shaidar »

any thoughts on alignment?

Assuming I get the dice rolls, I am tempted by the thought of a Warlock death soldier, perhaps Ixian.

Return to “Looking for players or games”