Barrowmaze (BlueHolme) Looking for players

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrowmaze (BlueHolme) Looking for players

#1 Post by drpete »

Half a day's journey from town is a field full of ancient crypts. Someone broke into one and came back with a pile of treasure. There must be more, right?

I would like to recruit a team to seek their fortunes in the barrow field. We'll use the new Blueholme Journeymanne rules. I like customizing things, so some house rules will be tossed in for extra flavor. (The Prentice Rules are free and would cover most everything, and are free).

I'm hoping to create a fairly fast moving game in which I would roll the dice and you would try to survive and get rich :)

Some features of Blueholme:
Deemphasis on stats. They provide few bonuses or penalties, but they do provide an action mechanic: roll under stat to succeed on a task, etc.
Affordable scroll/potion crafting at lvl 1.
Play-what-you-want... multiclass, play a monster, whatever (within reason :) )

Some house rules I want to try out:
Antihammerspace encumbrance: http://rottenpulp.blogspot.com/2012/06/ ... m.html?m=1
Perrin Conventions: https://dorkland.blogspot.com/2013/06/t ... s.html?m=1
Weapon damage by class (kinda like this): http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com/200 ... s.html?m=1
Weapon vs armor type modifiers: http://rolesrules.blogspot.com/2013/04/ ... t.html?m=1
Last edited by drpete on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Barrowmaze, in Blue, looking for players.

#2 Post by Blackrazor »

List of things in order I want to play

Adamant War Golem with deathbeam eyes
Beholder
Mind Flayer
Ancient Black Dragon
Winged Fairy Race Sprite or Pixie
Type V Demon
Elf
Wraith
Umber Hulk
Asimar
Half Devil
Nightmare Unicorn
Bugbear
Merfolk
Dwarf
Black Pudding
Titan
Human

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Alright. No.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

To be more serious, you can be a sentient creature, but you will be a 1 HD version... if you really want to be a dragon, you'd be a level 1 baby dragon. If you want to be an ogre, it'd be like a level 1 teenager, etc, with a power level equivalent to a 1st level character. Would you want to be a 1st level beholder mage (1 spell per day) or are you just being goofy?

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Blackrazor »

That makes some sense. I was silly and serious simultaneously. I added legit offering amongst the outrageous. So a flying nightmare unicorn but a young one wirh minimum HD and abilities works? To be honest I was thinking more along the lines as flying fairy creature or sprite. However, being a young beholder seems awesome.

jasonzavoda
Squire
Squire

#6 Post by jasonzavoda »

I have the Holmes basic but not bluehome would that work?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

Hrmmm... well, there's nothing wrong with being a pixie, if you wanted to be that. We'd need to think about how the powers would work... they might need to be phased in with levels, for example, but it's not a problem...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Jason!!
Glad you got in okay. :)
Enjoy,
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

Hi Jason,

First off, welcome!

Second, I don't see why not! I know they aren't *exactly* the same, but I'm sure we could resolve the differences!

jasonzavoda
Squire
Squire

#10 Post by jasonzavoda »

drpete wrote:Hi Jason,

First off, welcome!

Second, I don't see why not! I know they aren't *exactly* the same, but I'm sure we could resolve the differences!
Excellent. I'd like to play a dwarf fighter.

Piper
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by Piper »

I'm interested!

What levels are you starting with? I don't have the Journeyman set, just the prentice.
Red 5, Standing ... Hey! Is That A Banana?

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by leafcutter »

Hi I'm new here. Saw a post about this on G+ and I'd like to join.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by drpete »

Jason, sounds good to me!

Piper, Leafcutter, welcome aboard!

This seems to be picking up steam nicely :)

Edit: And Piper, the plan is to start at level 1. To accommodate the slower pace of pbp, I'll bump up the xp for combat to 100 xp/HD, which hopefully will make some advancement possible.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Blackrazor »

Lots of new folks wishing to play here and that's great. I'll bow out to give folks room at the table. Thanks and best of luck.

leafcutter
Strider
Strider

#15 Post by leafcutter »

I want to play a human cleric (Priest of St. Ygg if we're using the Barrowmaze pantheon). Though I'm flexible and I could play something else if it helps party balance. Barrowmaze has a tough reputation.

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by Fingolwyn »

I'm interested in joining as long as the party composition doesn't get too weird. What are the mechanics as far as actually playing? I assume it's play by post. How often do we post?

I've got the Prentice and Journeymanne rules and have traded a few emails and posts with Michael Thomas trying to hash out exactly how the game runs (I'm trying to write a couple intro modules), so actually playing in a game would be great.

I'd like to play an elf fighter-magic user as per the Journeymanne rules. Multi/dual class is going to kill my advancement (level) chances since PBP is usually very slow, but at lower levels the difference between the classes is little more than a couple of hit points.
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

Welcome all. We have a two post moderation policy, just FYI. But after that you can post and PM with abandon! Within the rules of course! ;)
Welcome all!
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#18 Post by Fingolwyn »

Sorry for the redundancy, but here's post #2.
Feed the Boy and he will become a Man. Feed the Man and he will become a God. Feed the God and you will become the food.

Fingolwyn
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by Fingolwyn »

jasonzavoda wrote:I have the Holmes basic but not bluehome would that work?
If you don't have an issue with using DriveThruRPG (and either have a printer, or don't mind using a PDF), the Prentice rules are free. You can obtain them for "Pay What You Want: Suggested Price $0.00" at:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/109 ... st_epoch=0

Prentice is a bit different than Journeymanne, but not too much.

Vile
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by Vile »

Hello, BLUEHOLME author here! I'll lurk if you don't mind, this sounds interesting. :)

Blackrazor, you listed a few creatures there which don't appear in BLUEHOLME, and beholders are not available under the OGL. The monster list is taken entirely from the Blue Book (Holmes Basic) and anything Dr Holmes mentioned in his other writing. I'd love to see a dreenoi in action, though. ;)

Fingolwyn, remember that level progression for 2-class combinations really only lags 1 level behind single classes.

Return to “Looking for players or games”