Crazy Battletech Idea.....

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Crazy Battletech Idea.....

#41 Post by Zhym »

Hey, it looks like this place in Minneapolis still runs Battletech games with the Tesla II pods:

http://www.falloutshelterarcade.com/

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

thats cool Zhym
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by max_vale »

Yeah, those would be cool to try out someday!

Okay, so I saw Rose in RL yesterday and he's going to pilot a Locust; the variant with the SRM-2s in the arms.

Okay, so please let me know if I've got this right....

-We've got wolfpack piloting a Jenner Mech and who is the LT and commander of the 4 Mech Lance and is fom the Mechwarrior Knightly class.

-Greywolf is piloting a Wasp Mech and is the Mechwarrior SGT and 2nd in command is from the Soldier class.

-Starbearnd is piloting a Clint Mech and is a regular Mechwarrior (rank/not class) and is from the Noble class.

-Monsieur Rose is piloting a Locust Mech and is a regular Mechwarrior (rank/not class) and is from the Soldier class.

For the Soldiers: you've probably obtained your Mech by 1 of 3 methods:

-You were a Conventional (i.e. Infantry/Armor/Artillery) Soldier and disabled a Mech somehow and in a situation where no other Mechwarriors were around to claim it and so therefore managed to somehow claim it as your own; get it fixed up and learned to pilot it. (Unlikely...but makes for a cool background story! :) )

-You were a Tech who managed to claim a smashed up wreck of a Mech (or more likely, several of them) and with your technical skills were able to fix it up and figure out how to pilot it. (Still unlikely...but MUCH more likley than option 1...and STILL a cool background story!)

-The most likely situation....you went to some kind of military training (Academy...a Bootcamp course....grew up in a Mech unit and went thru some simulator training, etc.) and it became apparent that you had the right skills to become a Mechwarrior. As such; upon graduation; the State/Unit assigned you to a Mech and you have piloted it ever since.

In talking with Rose; he's going with option 3 above....his character will have been assigned a Mech; lost it in a battle in which his character was placed in some kind of unwinnable situation and then when assigned a second mech; split and joined the Mercenary group you guys will belong too.

Greywolf....which options sounds the best for you?

Starbeard: As a Noble, you will have the option of either having the Mech be a family heirloom OR having had whatever State you grew up in (Davion, Liao, Marik, Kurita, etc.) GIVE you a Mech for some kind of service/influence, etc.

wolfpack: As a Knight your Mech will be a family heirloom....either the ONLY Mech or one of 1d3 in your family's possession.

Quick background note: I'm going to have you guys start out as the Recon Lance for a Mercenary Company of 12 Mechs.....and I'm PRETTY sure I'm going to have you guys start out under contract to Davion and fighting some bandits in the Periphery near the Liao border (and in between the Taurian Concordat and Magistracy of Canopus if you know the cannon setting well)......if this helps with some background ideas for your characters, great; but thought I'd throw it out there.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by wolfpack »

With my mechs alternate weapondry I will have 1 M laser in each arm, 1 m laser in the center torso, and the srm6 and ammo in he left torso. I am good with the mech being 1d3 in my families possesions
Last edited by wolfpack on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#45 Post by GreyWolfVT »

For my selection as to how i ended up in a mech is the most believable option though likely the duller choice
max_vale wrote:-The most likely situation....you went to some kind of military training (Academy...a Bootcamp course....grew up in a Mech unit and went thru some simulator training, etc.) and it became apparent that you had the right skills to become a Mechwarrior. As such; upon graduation; the State/Unit assigned you to a Mech and you have piloted it ever since.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by wolfpack »

I always liked house davion best, so I am good being from a house davion family. I'll think on it and come up with a background.

Also what exact time period are we in? I believe the davion-steiner marriage was in 3026 correct (making the federated commonwealth) and hans davion launched his attack on Liao at the wedding party.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by max_vale »

Hey fellas; good news! Tonixx has set up the boards, so I'll get the threads going over the next couple of days; just look for the BATTLETECH: 3025 threads.

wolfpack: As mentioned in my PM to your PM; I really dig the background idea and I rolled a d3 and got a 2; so your family has 2 Mechs in its possession (including yours).....you are welcome to let me know what the other Mech is and if it's being piloted by another family member....being carefully kept in the Family's lands, etc., etc.

Greywolf: That's cool; I will go with the 'most likely' situation as to why your character is piloting a Mech....it's easy to work into a background. :)

Everyone: For those of you familiar with the BT universe; the story will start basically in January of 3025....the "Cannon" story events that lead to the so-called 4th Succession War of the Mike Stackpole books in 3028 (i.e. Hanse Davion's wedding toast of giving his new bride, Melissa Steiner the Capellan Confederation, otherwise known as the State ruled by House Liao) does not/will not happen....at least, not in the same manner.

In my take on things....which actually jives with the original material....there is no '4th' Succession War....as the 3rd Succession War is still ongoing as of 3025. (It was only later on that FASA 'retconned' the Third war to have stopped in 3022) Also, while Houses Steiner and Davion HAVE formally allied with each other as of 3022.....and Houses Marik, Kurita and Liao have allied as of 3024....NO ONE outside of a handful of people is aware of a secret clause in the Davion/Steiner alliance that calls for Hanse Davion to wed Melissa Steiner in 3028.

Final note to those of you with a lot of background knowledge of the game universe....it's MOSTLY the same...but a couple of minor differences....it will NOT be as black and white: GOOD GUYS = Davion and Steiner; BAD GUYS = Marik, Kurita, Liao as it was made out in the original game books and the latter Houses will NOT be an inept and poorly led (especially Marik and Liao) as made out; but rather things will be MUCH more even. (Sorry, minor gripe of mine!) Hopefully this doesn't cause any major heart-burn with anyone....and really is more for background/flavor of the campaign as the main RPG stuff will be dealing with you guys bouncing around being Mercs...but I thought I should mention that to everyone.

Okay....you're welcome to post again in this thread; but feel free to start making comments in the BATTLETECH: 3025 OOC thread as well!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Starbeard »

Sounds good. For the record, I'll take the easy route and have my noble's mech be a family heirloom.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#49 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Any chance your still interested in a fifth player? If not, no sweat, but I could get into some good old 3025 BT.

I've played off and on since 86, both minis and rpg, and though familiar with the official timeline, like the idea of not being locked into it.

If you don't have room currently, please keep me in mind if a place opens up.

Thanks.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “Looking for players or games”