Interest Check for Heroic ACKS game

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Interest Check for Heroic ACKS game

#1 Post by drpete »

Hi all,

I'm thinking about running a fairly modified ACKS game, and was wondering if people would be interested.

Taking some cues from games like Crypts & Things, it would be a human centered campaign (Using Humans and Nobiran only). Magic would be limited, using the ceremonial Eldritch magic system from the Heroic companion, except for Nobirans.

In addition to various elements of the Heroic companion, the game would incorporate various house rule systems that I think are cool, like material from dungeon grappling, veins of the earth, and various other ideas from various places.

The players would be residents of an oasis town on the border of a vast desert (inspired by the Silk Road) pushed by circumstance into adventure. There would be a variety of adventure locales nearby, so it would be kind of a "sand"box.

Sound interesting...?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interest Check for Heroic ACKS game

#3 Post by drpete »

Fair enough, and understood. This doesn't have loads of people jumping on it, maybe because the Heroic stuff isn't that accessible at this point. I totally get where you're coming from on that, though.

If this was dialed back to an ACKS game with a bunch of house rule tweaks, some of which come from the Heroic companion (like criticals, and healing that scales differently) but didn't otherwise dig deep into the Heroic companion, would that work better?

The other kinds of house rules I'm thinking about are things like tweaks to the light rules (based off of http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2015 ... t.html?m=1 ) and to exploration (clarifying, at least in my head, how scouting, searching for traps and interacting with enemies works).

Broadly speaking, I'm thinking of a place with a band of "civilization" in the form oases in the gap between mountains and desert. The desert would have lost cities, ancient battlefields, barrow mounds, etc, and be populated by bedouin type nomads and lizard people. The mountains might have more traditional orcs and goblins, along with bandit camps, mines, etc. It's all kind of flexible... There's a germ of an idea, but it's awaiting players :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

That sounds interesting... not sure if that would be more or less intense than a regular multiplayer game. Maybe instead of a hypothetical, I should properly advertise a game?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by sulldawga »

I'm interested but also don't have Heroic Fantasy.

Happy to back off if you want to pursue the solo game with tk, but I'm also fine with a 2 PC game.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:I'm interested but also don't have Heroic Fantasy.

Happy to back off if you want to pursue the solo game with tk, but I'm also fine with a 2 PC game.
No, a two person game with you would be great, dude!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by sulldawga »

I would actually prefer a smaller game. They move faster. Two PCs would be cool with me.

And tk and I know each other well enough that we can compromise and make decisions quickly to keep the game going in the right direction.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by drpete »

Hrmmmm... could work. How would you want to handle the low number of players? Multiple PCs, or lots of henchmen?

Are you happy with the general setup idea (1st level chars with a handful of leads to choose between) or would you be more interested in jumping in and having me start you at the beginning of something?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by thirdkingdom »

drpete wrote:Hrmmmm... could work. How would you want to handle the low number of players? Multiple PCs, or lots of henchmen?

Are you happy with the general setup idea (1st level chars with a handful of leads to choose between) or would you be more interested in jumping in and having me start you at the beginning of something?
I'm generally a fan of sandbox games, but if you've got some thing in mind pitch it. I could see starting at 2nd-3rd level with a main PC and either start with or recruit early on a number of henchmen.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sulldawga »

I wouldn't mind doing two PCs for each of us, supplemented with henches as necessary.

I guess it depends on the Judge. Might be a little more difficult to balance encounters with only two PCs in the party.

I, too, favor sandboxes but I'm open to anything.

Return to “Looking for players or games”