Looking for OD&D game open to a new player

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Looking for OD&D game open to a new player

#1 Post by ffilz »

With my favorite PbP GM on odd74 taking a sabbatical, I find myself wishing to still play OD&D (I guess I'd do AD&D 1e also) who has an opening.

Thanks

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Looking for OD&D game open to a new player

#2 Post by Starbeard »

I've really been wanting to start an OD&D game here or on odd74, but I've been putting it off for a year or so because I'm not sure if I've got the time for it, and I've been so steeped in B/X these past couple of years that I'd have to go back and refamiliarize myself with everything OD&D.

If we can get one more person I'd be happy to try it, as long as the post rate stays casual and flexible, and on the terse side. I tend to write a lot more description than I intend to in my PbP games, but for an OD&D game I'd rather stick to something like the games you and makofan have run on odd74: short & sweet posts, stick to the action and the dice rolls, give descriptions only where necessary.

I'd also have to take the bottom-up DMing approach, where I stay only 1d6 steps ahead of the players and flesh out the dungeons and worlds as they are encountered. That sort of thing is a lot easier to do in PbP anyway, since you have the time to reflect on things before committing to any hasty decisions.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:I've really been wanting to start an OD&D game here or on odd74, but I've been putting it off for a year or so because I'm not sure if I've got the time for it, and I've been so steeped in B/X these past couple of years that I'd have to go back and refamiliarize myself with everything OD&D.
Heh, I came back to OD&D from all variety of newer games. It's an adjustment, but reading various folks posts has been helpful to pay attention to the sensibilities of the original game and not drift off in the various directions I went off on really almost right away (by the time I was regularly running for example, I had GMPCs - something I have fought hard NOT to do).
If we can get one more person I'd be happy to try it, as long as the post rate stays casual and flexible, and on the terse side. I tend to write a lot more description than I intend to in my PbP games, but for an OD&D game I'd rather stick to something like the games you and makofan have run on odd74: short & sweet posts, stick to the action and the dice rolls, give descriptions only where necessary.
The short and sweet posts make is a lot easier to keep a modest post rate. As as player in makofan's game, I tried to help move action along and makofan did the same in my games, I think that helps a lot to keep things moving even if posting frequency of some folks has to be lower.
I'd also have to take the bottom-up DMing approach, where I stay only 1d6 steps ahead of the players and flesh out the dungeons and worlds as they are encountered. That sort of thing is a lot easier to do in PbP anyway, since you have the time to reflect on things before committing to any hasty decisions.
Yea, I have only a small portion of the dungeon being explored in my OD&D game on odd74 populated, and I quickly got the 2nd level mapped when it seemed like the group might head there.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Starbeard »

I know what you mean. Even though I came to OD&D in the early-mid 2000s, it was the first edition of D&D I ever played more than 1-2 sessions of, so I didn't really have much to unlearn and was very confident with it as a result. These days I almost exclusively run B/X for 5e players, and that's not only changed my game style but also my confidence in running OD&D successfully. I've been wanting to get back to the roots for awhile.

I can take a look through my notes over the weekend to see whether I have anything that can be thrown together without much effort.

One would be a classic Outdoor Survival game that's pretty by the book in terms of classes, monsters and themes.

The other is based on some house rules I've been wanting to try for awhile: only 2 classes (F-M and M-U), and M-Us get access to all spells and have no equipment restrictions (but casting in armour requires a 2D6 roll vs their own AC). It would have a genre-mixing "Fantasyland" setting in the classic Disneyland sense, with a frontier area, a jungle safari, a fairytale forest, a future city, etc.; which I would create as we went along. And, once those areas were "discovered," it would open the possibility for new PC races and classes, such as Frontiersmen from Fort Wilderness or Androids from the Moon City of Tomorrow.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:I know what you mean. Even though I came to OD&D in the early-mid 2000s, it was the first edition of D&D I ever played more than 1-2 sessions of, so I didn't really have much to unlearn and was very confident with it as a result. These days I almost exclusively run B/X for 5e players, and that's not only changed my game style but also my confidence in running OD&D successfully. I've been wanting to get back to the roots for awhile.

I can take a look through my notes over the weekend to see whether I have anything that can be thrown together without much effort.

One would be a classic Outdoor Survival game that's pretty by the book in terms of classes, monsters and themes.

The other is based on some house rules I've been wanting to try for awhile: only 2 classes (F-M and M-U), and M-Us get access to all spells and have no equipment restrictions (but casting in armour requires a 2D6 roll vs their own AC). It would have a genre-mixing "Fantasyland" setting in the classic Disneyland sense, with a frontier area, a jungle safari, a fairytale forest, a future city, etc.; which I would create as we went along. And, once those areas were "discovered," it would open the possibility for new PC races and classes, such as Frontiersmen from Fort Wilderness or Androids from the Moon City of Tomorrow.
I'd probably be more interested in a more by the book, but let me know what inspires you.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Starbeard »

Fair enough. I'll take a look through my old campaign notes over the weekend and see if they can be spun into a new game without much effort.

My normal preference is to run it as 3LBBs only, adding a few Supplement spells as they are discovered in game, and using Chainmail style combat. In fact I'm pretty sure I've never played OD&D with d20 combat or with thieves. None of those are deal breakers, though.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:Fair enough. I'll take a look through my old campaign notes over the weekend and see if they can be spun into a new game without much effort.

My normal preference is to run it as 3LBBs only, adding a few Supplement spells as they are discovered in game, and using Chainmail style combat. In fact I'm pretty sure I've never played OD&D with d20 combat or with thieves. None of those are deal breakers, though.
Hmm, Chainmail style combat would be different. I've never played that way, so how do you actually play that way? Does it basically mean (at least at first level) a hit either does nothing or kills you?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Starbeard »

I've since learned that there are plenty of ways to play it, but I've always used the rule in the LBBs that say any hits in CM count as a normal 1d6 damage roll. Here's the basic rundown of how I've usually interpreted CM combat for OD&D:
  1. Initiative order tends to be ignored because most action is simultaneous, and the person who gets to strike first in a melee is usually based on weapon or attack type.
  2. Most combat uses the Man-to-man tables (2d6) instead of the Alternate Combat Matrix (1d20). It gives a nice alternative tactical flavour since every weapon and armour type has a weakness somewhere; and because gaining levels doesn't make it easier to hit someone, low level PCs can go toe to toe a little longer.
  3. Combat against fantasy creatures may use normal CM rules (this creature "fights as" mace, "defends as" chain + shield), or it may use the Fantasy Combat Table, depending on what seems more appropriate.
  4. If there are more than say, a half dozen monsters, then the strict CM rule of one hit = one HD comes in handy. Monsters still roll 1d6 for damage, but if a PC hits a 2HD monster twice, it's dead.
  5. Big rumbles with 20, 30 or even more combatants are pretty simple to run, by switching over to the CM mass combat tables. PCs still take hits normally, but large groups have all their HD added up and every hit reduces them by -1HD until they have to test morale.
  6. The BIG change from the player perspective is that ALL classes, not just Fighting-Men, eventually get the ability to take multiple attacks per round against normal men. For example, when Magic-Users reach 7th level (enchanter), they fight as a Hero -1 (4 attacks, with one of them rolled at -1). All combat against heroic and fantastical characters is still always 1 attack per round.
There are some kinks, for sure. For example, PCs aren't represented on the Fantasy Combat Table until they get to Hero status. Prior to that they can't harm fantasy creatures unless they have magic weapons or the DM allows them to use the Man-to-Man tables.

If I used CM combat in a game now, I'd probably modify my usual procedure to this:
  • Normal combat uses CM Man-to-man.
  • Combat with animals and monsters uses the D&D Alternate D20 matrix, or a Chainmail-ified 2D6 version of the D20 matrix.
  • PCs can choose to fight fantasy creatures on the Fantasy Combat Table instead, but it's risky: either side is slain with but a single hit! (I may turn that into "a hit = save or die," I don't know).

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:I've since learned that there are plenty of ways to play it, but I've always used the rule in the LBBs that say any hits in CM count as a normal 1d6 damage roll. Here's the basic rundown of how I've usually interpreted CM combat for OD&D:
  1. Initiative order tends to be ignored because most action is simultaneous, and the person who gets to strike first in a melee is usually based on weapon or attack type.
  2. Most combat uses the Man-to-man tables (2d6) instead of the Alternate Combat Matrix (1d20). It gives a nice alternative tactical flavour since every weapon and armour type has a weakness somewhere; and because gaining levels doesn't make it easier to hit someone, low level PCs can go toe to toe a little longer.
  3. Combat against fantasy creatures may use normal CM rules (this creature "fights as" mace, "defends as" chain + shield), or it may use the Fantasy Combat Table, depending on what seems more appropriate.
  4. If there are more than say, a half dozen monsters, then the strict CM rule of one hit = one HD comes in handy. Monsters still roll 1d6 for damage, but if a PC hits a 2HD monster twice, it's dead.
  5. Big rumbles with 20, 30 or even more combatants are pretty simple to run, by switching over to the CM mass combat tables. PCs still take hits normally, but large groups have all their HD added up and every hit reduces them by -1HD until they have to test morale.
  6. The BIG change from the player perspective is that ALL classes, not just Fighting-Men, eventually get the ability to take multiple attacks per round against normal men. For example, when Magic-Users reach 7th level (enchanter), they fight as a Hero -1 (4 attacks, with one of them rolled at -1). All combat against heroic and fantastical characters is still always 1 attack per round.
There are some kinks, for sure. For example, PCs aren't represented on the Fantasy Combat Table until they get to Hero status. Prior to that they can't harm fantasy creatures unless they have magic weapons or the DM allows them to use the Man-to-Man tables.
I'd be game to play this way. Sure, you really want to run if you encounter one of those creatures. Ghouls are the only troublesome creatures (likely to show up at low levels and more survivable under the alternate combat rules). Is the fantasy combat table still all or nothing? That would be the one problem I think.
If I used CM combat in a game now, I'd probably modify my usual procedure to this:

Frank.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Starbeard »

In CM most of the low-end fantasy creatures, including ghouls, can still be killed by normal combat, but they are pretty tough.

The FCT is definitely a "quick kill" table in CM, but I wouldn't use it that way. I'm thinking of simply using the Alternative combat table to replace the FCT, and to use with monsters that use no equipment or armour.

So, when you fight goblins or brigands you use the MtM Table, when you fight wolves or wights you use Alternative d20 Combat. All hits do 1d6, but I usually let big weapons roll twice and take highest, and light weapons roll twice and take lowest.

Finally, if they ever reach Hero status, Players (and only players, never NPCs) can always opt to have the combat resolved on the FCT, if they feel lucky or are just that desperate.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

For those interested, I've taken the plunge and put out a call for players on ODD74: http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/12439 ... ost-198925

If it gets off the ground I'll be running it there, in celebration of the site's 10th anniversary.

Return to “Looking for players or games”