[closed - wait list] Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rift

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Actively recruiting for Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rift

#21 Post by ffilz »

coil23 wrote:I have the softcover of the SOLO system by Zozer. I reject the main resolution mechanic it uses but most everything else in there is fantastic. I wrote a brief writeup and comparison to Star Trader for it on rpggeek.

I prefer the idea of the group having their own ship as opposed to being travellers bumming rides from starport to starport. That said, neither of my two characters comes with a ship so I can't exactly help on that matter.

Free traders who might hire out for other odd jobs is fine with me. While I usually like to operate within more of a grey zone regarding morality, I am fine with the group being principled in an unprincipled world or with being grey like the world around us. I am also open to other suggestions besides free trader/odd job freelancers as a starting rubric.

Psionics don't appeal to me as they seem too much like magic which doesn't fit my conception of this game arena. But I am new to Traveller and open to experiencing it so psionics are certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Mingling with the masses, wheeling & dealing, and other civilization-fringe adventures sound good as well as sometimes ending up in a barren or unpopulated environment for exploration/archaeological expeditions.

Does that answer your question on expectations/desires? While I have some preferences, I am new to this system and want to be open to...almost anything.
Sounds good. If the players want to have a ship, we will manage it. Ways it can happen:

1. The online generator has a mode: http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming ... &hunt=ship will roll until it creates a character with a ship. There are tweaks we can do. If we go this route, I will generate the PC and one of the players can claim it. If with two players you want to be co-owners, we will do that.

2. A patron can supply the ship, leaving the PCs mostly in control.

3. You can adventure to acquire a ship.

Do you care, Free Trader vs Scout vs other (good choices are Hunter for a Safari Ship, Noble for a Yacht, or Belter for a Seeker, I'm not so keen on Pirate for Corsair or Scientist for Lab Ship).

While the a "traveller" without a ship is playable in Traveller, I don't want to force anyone down that path.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by coil23 »

The safari ship seems to have the best options overall even though I have no interest in hunting parties. I guess I'll leave it to chance so: dealer's choice.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Eris »

ffilz are you still looking for players?

If you are and you'll have me, I can't resist playing in another CT game.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:ffilz are you still looking for players?

If you are and you'll have me, I can't resist playing in another CT game.
You are most welcome to join, I've added you to the group.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by ffilz »

With one of our three players having to drop out, I thought I'd "bump" this thread...

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:With one of our three players having to drop out, I thought I'd "bump" this thread...
LOL! I just suggested you might want to bump this thread over in the Wine Dark forum. ;)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Ramona »

Still looking?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Still looking?
Yes, we are still open for more players, do you have books or how would you like to create a character? There is also this online generator:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming ... acter.html

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Ramona »

What’s the campaign setting? What’s most needed? ie - We have 3 medics and 2 gun bunnies but no engineers.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by ffilz »

Setting is lightly described here: http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming/winedark.html

We had a PC with a merchant ship, but they had to drop out so that would be one interesting avenue for a character. I've also floated the idea of the PCs being "travellers" without a ship.

Let me invite you to the game and you can introduce yourself to the other two players. You should be able to post in the Wine Dark Rift game forum now.

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by ffilz »

Thought I'd issue a last call before we really get underway...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by rredmond »

Hey Frank,
We have a brand new member here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6899
That might be interested. :)
Good luck and have fun,
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by ffilz »

rredmond wrote:Hey Frank,
We have a brand new member here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6899
That might be interested. :)
Good luck and have fun,
—Ron—
Thanks for the callout. I've replied over there.

Percival Moor
Squire
Squire

#34 Post by Percival Moor »

Hi ffilz, I've started to read the link you gave me, and if you're akay with a total beginner at Traveller, I'm in.

Concerning character creation, which ones do you think would be the most needed in your game?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by ffilz »

Percival Moor wrote:Hi ffilz, I've started to read the link you gave me, and if you're akay with a total beginner at Traveller, I'm in.

Concerning character creation, which ones do you think would be the most needed in your game?
Welcome aboard. Total beginners are fine. I'm not sure if there's anything specific we need.

Do you have Classic Traveller books? If so, roll up a few characters and pick your favorite, or present them all in the rollups thread and let us make suggestions. Rolling up characters can be fun. Note that other editions of Traveller have sufficiently different character generation to not be easy to use for my campaign.

You could just use the generator and either take the first character it generates, or hit refresh a few times and pick your favorite (but if you do so, resist the urge to refresh many times, if there's something specific you want, I'd rather you ask about that and we'll make it happen).

I've added you to the group so you may post in the threads in the Wine Dark Rift sub-forum.

Frank

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#36 Post by erkenbrand »

Hi, this is my first post here, I've done PbF elsewhere for a few years but keen on Classic Traveller, in the sense that I have _all_ the books (physical and PDF), if this game is still looking for players I'd be interested.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by rredmond »

Hey erkenbrand,
Welcome to Unseen Servant!
Just a heads up, your first two posts are moderated but after that you should be good to go!
Be well,
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by ffilz »

rredmond wrote:Hey erkenbrand,
Welcome to Unseen Servant!
Just a heads up, your first two posts are moderated but after that you should be good to go!
Be well,
—Ron—
Ok, I can fit one more player in, I've added you to the group for the campaign so you should be able to post there now, check out the character roll ups thread.

And with that, I will close recruiting for now... If you are interested, feel free to post here, or send me a PM and I'll judge the current state of things, otherwise, watch for recruiting to open again.

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Passively recruiting for Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rif

#39 Post by ffilz »

I'm going to open this up again, our ship captain has not posted in over a month, so I am trying to revive action with some on-planet for now. If the captain returns to active play we will determine how to continue with the ship. Of course folks may decide to take passage on another ship. If we need to, I will split the campaign into a merchant ship based campaign and a second campaign.

If new players roll up a character with a ship (since we already have a ship, I will not "help" this situation), then I will decide how to proceed (the new ship might be grounded for repairs, or something, or I may just outright decide to start a second ship).

Frank

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Passively recruiting for Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rif

#40 Post by Starbeard »

Room for me? It might be a week or two before I can jump in with rolling up a character.

Return to “Looking for players or games”