[closed - wait list] Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rift

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[closed - wait list] Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rift

#1 Post by ffilz »

My Google Hangouts game has crashed for various reasons, so I'm thinking of running a second play by post.

I will be using Classic Traveller 1977 Books 1-3 (with some text taken from 1981), though I am seriously considering the range band space combat from Starter Traveller.

I have been taking a lot of Christopher Kubasik's ideas to mind (and the other folks who have also been posting in the same vein), so reading his blog will be useful for getting a feel for where I cam coming from.

I have in progress, reasonably happy with, modified skill tables for Supplement 4 which I am open to discussion with players about.

Setting will be my own, currently working on a 2 subsector area somewhat inspired by the Seven Sisters and District-268 subsectors of the Spinward Marches that is at the frontier and beyond of "the imperium" (whatever that is...). The encounter tables and procedures in the books (and more tables I pull from other places or just flat out make up) provide a lot of implicit setting. I've posted a map here in this board.

My concept within the setting is that the PCs are mostly ex-military (with Merchants and Other thrown in of course, plus possibly the odd Supplement 4 career or two) all having mustered out on the same world, or having made their way there. I will leave it up to the players to add more definition as to why they know each other, but I think that should be a given (or if someone is unknown the the group, the players have primed things so we don't play the "we all meet in the bar and get into a fight). I'm assuming someone will muster out with a ship and the group has an interest in exploring the sandbox and figuring out what they can make of it (trade, trying to find a world to exploit, just wandering, whatever).

But it's a sandbox, and it's your game as much as mine, so ultimately we will work together and I hope something exciting will emerge from play.

My campaign has a web page with links to my house rules, setting information, various inspections of Traveller material (including a section by section comparison of the various versions of Classic Traveller) and links to all of Christopher Kubasik's blog posts on Traveller:

https://ffilz.github.io/Gaming/winedark.html

Thanks for your interst,

Frank
Last edited by ffilz on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Looking for iinterest in Classic Traveller

#2 Post by coil23 »

While I've never played Traveller, I have been interested in the system for years. I have the core rulebook (from what I've read, I assume I have the Mongoose version since it offers a point allocation option for character generation), Far Trader for GURPS Traveller (not interested in GURPS version, I just heard it was a good all-in-one resource for solo merchant play), and a printout of Star Trader. I have a few of the little black book modules as well.

I'll need to read up on the site you linked. Off the top of my head, careers that appeal are navy, scout, marines, merchant. I like support subspecialities like engineering, quartermaster, etc.

I'd be fine with a smaller than usual group, even playing two characters to fill out a group (I know that is blasphemy for many) if that helps get things off the ground.

Bottom line is I am interested if you want to move ahead with this.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

coil23 wrote:While I've never played Traveller, I have been interested in the system for years. I have the core rulebook (from what I've read, I assume I have the Mongoose version since it offers a point allocation option for character generation), Far Trader for GURPS Traveller (not interested in GURPS version, I just heard it was a good all-in-one resource for solo merchant play), and a printout of Star Trader. I have a few of the little black book modules as well.

I'll need to read up on the site you linked. Off the top of my head, careers that appeal are navy, scout, marines, merchant. I like support subspecialities like engineering, quartermaster, etc.

I'd be fine with a smaller than usual group, even playing two characters to fill out a group (I know that is blasphemy for many) if that helps get things off the ground.

Bottom line is I am interested if you want to move ahead with this.
Playing multiple characters is fine, and a lot easier in play by post than with face to face, of course I think with old school play styles, multiple PCs is also a lot easier.

You would need to use one of the chargen resources I point to on my web page since while in some sense Mongoose is compatible, it has an entirely different skill list and doesn't mesh well with the philosophy Christopher Kubasik has explained so well in his blog posts on skills.

If we can get at least one or two more players, we can kick off. With just a couple players, there would definitely be more burden of each player to help keep the game going, posting frequently enough that it doesn't feel like the game has stalled, on the other hand, with a small number of players, one doesn't end up waiting three days wondering if the casual player is going to chime in on some decision it feels important to wait for responses from everyone.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Starbeard »

I'll tentatively say I'm in. I'm a huge fan of 1977 CT, but almost all of my experience comes from using it as a solitaire space traders game, rolling up random sectors and exploring them with random encounters to see if I can survive long enough to turn a profit on the trade tables.

I'm already in too many games as it is though, and now I'm half-seriously considering the feasibility of an OD&D game. I'll keep this thread saved and if it looks like it will get off the ground (and I won't have to make more than perhaps 1-2 short posts a week), then I'll probably cave in and join.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:I'll tentatively say I'm in. I'm a huge fan of 1977 CT, but almost all of my experience comes from using it as a solitaire space traders game, rolling up random sectors and exploring them with random encounters to see if I can survive long enough to turn a profit on the trade tables.

I'm already in too many games as it is though, and now I'm half-seriously considering the feasibility of an OD&D game. I'll keep this thread saved and if it looks like it will get off the ground (and I won't have to make more than perhaps 1-2 short posts a week), then I'll probably cave in and join.
If you're already feeling overburdened might not be wise to get into another game. I'm hoping for a bit more than once or twice a week posting frequency, but that doesn't need to come from every player, the previous games I've been involved in have had some folks who maybe didn't even hit one post a week, yet they were still notable contributors to the game.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

@starbeard, I know you're on Ruins of Murkhill, @coil23, are you over there or willing to set up over there? I've got one or two players each place and it would be nice to collect together over there if possible.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by coil23 »

I don't mean to be difficult and I certainly don't expect anyone to cater to me but I won't let myself add another site. That is partly about helping me to stay better organized but mostly about keeping me from overextending myself....which tends to happen when I start straddling multiple sites.

While I appreciate the convenience of scheduling my posts around my schedule and having time to contemplate them more, I'm still one of those unreasonable pricks who is looking for PbF to be more of a surrogate to face-to-face play rather than fully accepting the medium for what it is (and it seems like most others are more reasonable and do the latter). That is why I like routine, more frequent posting and get frustrated with the habit of people picking up game after game on a whim and then dropping back out just as easily. Smaller than normal groups, investment in the game, and continuity (in multiple ways) seem vital for immersion to me, I am finding. This is all the more true in such an impersonal medium with such gaps between communication.

All of that may seem overly rambling but I see it as on topic. It sounds like your best bet may be on the other site and I wish you and your group the best.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Starbeard »

I'm willing to jump over to another forum that I'm already on anyway, but now that I'm flipping through my copy of OD&D and getting more about that possibility, I think I'd have to see how that pans out first before I make the leap to add more games as a player.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

coil23 wrote:I don't mean to be difficult and I certainly don't expect anyone to cater to me but I won't let myself add another site. That is partly about helping me to stay better organized but mostly about keeping me from overextending myself....which tends to happen when I start straddling multiple sites.

While I appreciate the convenience of scheduling my posts around my schedule and having time to contemplate them more, I'm still one of those unreasonable pricks who is looking for PbF to be more of a surrogate to face-to-face play rather than fully accepting the medium for what it is (and it seems like most others are more reasonable and do the latter). That is why I like routine, more frequent posting and get frustrated with the habit of people picking up game after game on a whim and then dropping back out just as easily. Smaller than normal groups, investment in the game, and continuity (in multiple ways) seem vital for immersion to me, I am finding. This is all the more true in such an impersonal medium with such gaps between communication.

All of that may seem overly rambling but I see it as on topic. It sounds like your best bet may be on the other site and I wish you and your group the best.
Totally understandable. I myself was a bit reluctant to join this site, but after my long time PbP GM took a break, I was looking for more and @eris invited me to his Traveller game here (I also joined his game on Ruins of Murkhill).

I will leave this post here on the chance that there are enough folks interested and it's workable for me to run a game here (whether the other game gets going or not).

Thanks for the various interest,

Frank

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

I've been sort-of wishing for a "Firefly"-style game. I'm another one of those that wants to stay on this site, rather than adding another. If you do start a game here, please let me know.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

sirravd

#11 Post by sirravd »

I haven't played the system, but i'm in. :)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by coil23 »

"Firefly"- style game sounds good to me. I'm just getting started in feeling out how to do solo play with Traveller and this is the flavor I am adopting with that. I'd love to try it with a group as well in traditional play.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, while I wasn't looking over the weekend some interest developed.

I'm willing to run here, let's see if I can manage 3 Traveller play by post games and 2 D&D play by post games

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

coil23 wrote:"Firefly"- style game sounds good to me. I'm just getting started in feeling out how to do solo play with Traveller and this is the flavor I am adopting with that. I'd love to try it with a group as well in traditional play.
Just so that we're clear and don't have crossed expectations... What are the major features you expect in a "Firefly" style game?

I think the general idea will work just fine in a Classic Traveller sandbox.

If there are any special features you would like (character types, does the group have a ship (I assume yes), what type of ship, psionics in play), let's talk them through now.

Also, after some frustrating experiences with character generation for my other play by post games, I'd like to talk about how we will do character generation before folks go off and roll up 7-term scout wonders...

One of my interests in running Classic Traveller is to "play the character you roll" but I'm flexible, I just want to talk about how flexible we are BEFORE dice hit the table...

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ffilz »

Ok, a forum has been added, and you folks have been added to the group. Let's have a chargen thread for each player. We will also use that thread to manage things like experience.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

I just want to add, having your own copy of the rules is not required. There are online character generators that get past the most intensive time for player reference to the books.

Frank

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by coil23 »

I am still interested if you start a game on Unseen Servant and I don't mind playing more than one character. I can lay hands on the LBB 1-3 but was going to use the hardcover Traveller book. The copyright is 1982 but it is Game Designer's Workshop so that is still CT, am I right?

As I feel my way through to finding a solo method for this game, the characters I have drawn up have been...generous. So I definitely want to hear your guidelines for character generation so as to stay within the bounds of your campaign. I am reading up on the link you offered as well.

addendum: Well, looking at the house rules, it seems as if the 1982 The Traveller Book is not ok and I should stick to the LBB 1-3. Correct?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

coil23 wrote:I am still interested if you start a game on Unseen Servant and I don't mind playing more than one character. I can lay hands on the LBB 1-3 but was going to use the hardcover Traveller book. The copyright is 1982 but it is Game Designer's Workshop so that is still CT, am I right?

As I feel my way through to finding a solo method for this game, the characters I have drawn up have been...generous. So I definitely want to hear your guidelines for character generation so as to stay within the bounds of your campaign. I am reading up on the link you offered as well.

addendum: Well, looking at the house rules, it seems as if the 1982 The Traveller Book is not ok and I should stick to the LBB 1-3. Correct?
Any version of Classic Traveller is fine for character generation and reference. There may be little differences, which are documented on my comparison page (note that I actually pointed out The Traveller Book as the best deal for single purchase of PDF...). From a player facing point of view, the differences in chargen are primarily between 1977 and 1981 (with TTB somehow mixing up the vehicle skill slots on the table to be a mix of 1977 and 1981), but I port the 1981 differences back to 1977 (though with the suggestion one consider just picking the 1977 vehicle skills for the vehicle cascade), but that's just to aim the PCs vehicle skills at the most common skills.

Now if one wants to generate an Other character with the best Forgery possible, and you don't care about getting Vehicle skills, use the 1977 tables, 1981 traded an instance of Forgery for Vehicle... (vehicles=1977 on the online generator will do this for that generator).

BTW, for solo play, have you checked out: Solo - http://www.rpgnow.com/product/207164/Solo - it's written for Cepheus Engine, but should be totally compatible with any version of Traveller.

Before we get too much further on character generation though, let's have a bit more discussion about campaign expectations and hopes...

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ffilz »

sirravd, are you still in, looks like we might just have two players, which can work.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Actively recruiting for Classic Traveller Wine Dark Rift

#20 Post by coil23 »

I have the softcover of the SOLO system by Zozer. I reject the main resolution mechanic it uses but most everything else in there is fantastic. I wrote a brief writeup and comparison to Star Trader for it on rpggeek.

I prefer the idea of the group having their own ship as opposed to being travellers bumming rides from starport to starport. That said, neither of my two characters comes with a ship so I can't exactly help on that matter.

Free traders who might hire out for other odd jobs is fine with me. While I usually like to operate within more of a grey zone regarding morality, I am fine with the group being principled in an unprincipled world or with being grey like the world around us. I am also open to other suggestions besides free trader/odd job freelancers as a starting rubric.

Psionics don't appeal to me as they seem too much like magic which doesn't fit my conception of this game arena. But I am new to Traveller and open to experiencing it so psionics are certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Mingling with the masses, wheeling & dealing, and other civilization-fringe adventures sound good as well as sometimes ending up in a barren or unpopulated environment for exploration/archaeological expeditions.

Does that answer your question on expectations/desires? While I have some preferences, I am new to this system and want to be open to...almost anything.

Return to “Looking for players or games”