B/X Dungeon Crawl ~OPEN~

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: B/X Dungeon Crawl ~interest check~

#21 Post by Pulpatoon »

coil23 wrote:Here's hoping the company of corpses is not referring to us.
It does sound a Cleric would be a wise choice, doesn't it?

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Griffith »

Characters will start on 3rd level.
When rolling hit points, give yourself maximum for 1st level, then roll normally for level 2 and 3.
Beginning gold, roll 3d6 and multiply by 100.
No magic items.

No retainers. But every hero may have a 1st level sidekick, if they wish.

Should have the game thread up shortly.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by coil23 »

Two quick questions and then I'll have time to get started on this this afternoon.

1) How strict will encumbrance be?
2) how are we defining sidekick? Is this just a 1st level character (any class) we would roll up normally? Something more basic? If you can point me toward a source to find these answers that will be fine. Just not sure if this is house-ruled in some ways. Thanks.

Pulpatoon: I think I want to go with ogre-kin but if you can give a heads up on your choice I'd appreciate it as that may alter my choice. Thanks.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'm pretty sure I'll go with a beast-master.
I like this image, which inspires a very different sort of beast-master than the Tarzan/Mowgli model.

Although, if we're going with roll-in-order, it's kinda futile to get too set on any given class ahead of time.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by ybn1197 »

Depending on how character generation is handled, I'm looking at playing a cleric with a sidekick (not sure of the class yet).

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

Went ahead and rolled 3d6 in order:
Stats: STR:13, INT:14, WIS:5, DEX:10, CON:18, CHR:11
The roller did pretty well by me! Strong enough t be a Beast Master, with a high CON, which fits my conception of the character as having survived being exposed in the wilderness as an infant, and a rock-bottom Wisdom, which is always fun to play. In this case, I'll assume that means she is impulsive as a caffeinated weasel, and ill-suited to civilization.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Griffith »

coil23 wrote:Two quick questions and then I'll have time to get started on this this afternoon.

1) How strict will encumbrance be?
2) how are we defining sidekick? Is this just a 1st level character (any class) we would roll up normally? Thanks.
1) Not very strict at all. I try to rule by "common sense" when it comes to encumbrance. A suit of armor, 2 or 3 misc. weapons hanging from your body somewhere, a bow & quiver slung on your back, a backpack full of stuff, 1 or 2 belt pouches, and then whatever you are carrying in your hands and you are fully loaded. If something attacks your STR or weakens your characters body somehow, then I may have to become more of a stickler about what your character is able to carry.

2) Yes, just a 1st level character (any class) that you would roll up normally. So basically you would be playing 2 characters. One would be 3rd level and the other would be 1st level. If you wanted to role-play them as hero and sidekick, you could. But it is not a requirement :)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ybn1197 »

Pulpatoon wrote:Although, if we're going with roll-in-order, it's kinda futile to get too set on any given class ahead of time.
Griffith, are we going "roll in order" or "roll and assign"?

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by Griffith »

Basic back story: You (the character) are in pursuit of a villain (a few more details on him to come later). This villain has done you wrong somehow in your past (to be determined by you when you create your character's back story). Now you seek vengeance. This common goal of vengeance (or justice) has brought your characters together.
You have tracked him to the small town of Hamlet and are tipped-off that he has headed to the Mines. Every time you get close he eludes you. So there is no time to dilly-dally in Hamlet. The adventure will begin at the entrance to the mines.

I have created the game in the dice roller, just waiting for ToniXX to create the game folder for us :)

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Griffith »

ybn1197 wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote:Although, if we're going with roll-in-order, it's kinda futile to get too set on any given class ahead of time.
Griffith, are we going "roll in order" or "roll and assign"?
Roll and assign.
You can use the Moldvay method (page B6, Basic Rules) to adjust your scores.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ybn1197 »

Here are my character's stats. Very wise and very strong but not too bright.Stats: DEX:11, CHR:11, INT:6, STR:15, WIS:16, CON:11

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Pulpatoon »

Questions!
Variable weapon damage or d6?

Beastmasters roll on the Monster Attack Matrix, based on their HD. My character is 3rd level, of course, and has +3 hp because of her massive CON. Would this make her 3 HD or 3+ HD?

Would it be possible (and I'm not pushing for this—just wondering) for the beastmaster's sidekick to be an animal? Richard LeBlanc came up with a bunch of animal classes for B/X. When I play with kids, someone always wants to be an animal. I usually just re-skin the halfling.

Can you give us any info on this villain we're chasing, or are we free to invent them by way of our backstories?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by coil23 »

What is the code for this game for me to connect my rolls?

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Griffith »

Pulpatoon wrote:Questions!
Variable weapon damage or d6?

Beastmasters roll on the Monster Attack Matrix, based on their HD. My character is 3rd level, of course, and has +3 hp because of her massive CON. Would this make her 3 HD or 3+ HD?

Would it be possible (and I'm not pushing for this—just wondering) for the beastmaster's sidekick to be an animal? Richard LeBlanc came up with a bunch of animal classes for B/X. When I play with kids, someone always wants to be an animal. I usually just re-skin the halfling.

Can you give us any info on this villain we're chasing, or are we free to invent them by way of our backstories?
*Variable weapon damage.

*3+ HD

*I will allow any of those animal characters at the link you provided to be the beastmaster's "sidekick".

*The man you are chasing is named Nigh. He is a human man. It is believed he is a priest in service of an evil deity, but no one knows for sure. Everywhere he travels he brings ruin, madness, and death. Know one knows with certainty what he looks like, descriptions vary and he has had many guises.
Beyond those few, consistent details (he is a human man named Nigh, he is evil, and he has somehow harmed you) you are free to describe him and his actions as you wish in your back stories. Legends and descriptions of Nigh vary, so it is okay that each character may have a different description of him. And that some details will be contradictory.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by Griffith »

coil23 wrote:What is the code for this game for me to connect my rolls?

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Griffith »

Pulpatoon wrote: Image
I like this image, which inspires a very different sort of beast-master than the Tarzan/Mowgli model.
Cool pic btw 8-)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by coil23 »

Hoping ogre-kin will not be too big for caving.

Yes, great picture. I sense this quietness as she emerges from the brush....right before the mayhem begins.

I think I will go with a 3rd level ogre-kin and a 1st level gnome. I don't see very much utility with the gnome but I like that character. If anyone feels like there is a missing role then please let me know and I will switch the gnome to something more needed.

Tun, 3rd level ogre-kin (damn those dice rolls sucked)
Stats: DEX:9, INT:8, WIS:9, CHR:8, CON:9, STR:13
gold= [3d6] = 11 x100
hit point 9 + [1d8+1] = 1+1 = 2
+ [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6

Boo, 1st level gnome
Stats: CON:10, DEX:13, INT:12, CHR:7, STR:9, WIS:13
gold = [3d6] = 6 x100

Tun has just been unlucky with his stats and hp rolls. I actually dropped his Int down to 6 (8 was rolled). Let me know if that is not ok. One of his weapons will be a 10' pole used as a club. Would that stay at 1d6 or would it shift up to 1d8? Both characters still in progress.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by ybn1197 »

I'll make a 1st level magic-user to accompany Huxley, someone to compensate for his lack of book smarts.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Pulpatoon »

I ended up going with Cleric for the second character, Brother Dumphey:
Stats: STR:10, DEX:7, CHR:10, CON:10, INT:5, WIS:12
As well as being a clumsy idiot, this guy is a one-hit-point wonder, so I won't plan on getting too attached.

I determined his god randomly, getting Quases, the Angry Bridegroom of Wisdom. He follows my beastmaster (Coat of Nine-Hides) around, in the thoroughly mistaken belief that she is a figure in an important prophecy.

Return to “Looking for players or games”