Castle of the Mad Archmage

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
acererak
Tracker
Tracker

Castle of the Mad Archmage

#1 Post by acererak »

Thinking about running one of these two for 1e PbP. Does anyone thing these are suited for PbP? Does anyone have any interest? I would set it in Greyhawk. I have time to run one more game. Well let me know what you guys think.
Last edited by acererak on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: AD&D 1e-Tsojcanth or Tomb of Horrors

#2 Post by rredmond »

Tsojcanth was originally a tournament module, I think those work well. And I'd be interested in playing. Tomb of Horrors would take a pretty decent amount of modifying methinks. I'd love to try to play, but I know that module somewhat, which would certainly make it less fun.
IIRC ToH is more linear than Tsojcanth, which does tend to fit the PbP pace and constraints. I'm betting you could easily get players from DF or KnK for either of these games if the interest isn't there here at US.
Fun!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by acererak »

You bring up a good point with ToH, once you play it you tend not to forget the crazy rooms, I don't think it has as much replay value as some other modules. I've run ToH several times and I have never run Caverns so.....

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

The tournament version of Tsojacanth is significantly different than the published module; so keep that in mind. I'm definitely down to play in either (though, as I promised Vagr....if he's interested; he gets to go before me! :) ).....though I'd have to say that Tomb of Horrors probably suits PBP a bit better for the reasons allready mentioned (shorter, more straight-forward, etc.)

Tomb of Horrors could fairly easily be changed in minor ways to keep those familiar with it on thier toes....really, just some "this trap is now here....", etc. would pretty much make it the same PC-dropping fest it's always been with nobody having "unfair" insight.

I'd definitely recomend if you go with Tomb; to have all players roll up at least 2 characters! :)

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by acererak »

If I run Tomb I would definitely go with the two characters thing or let people have some henchmen to control. Tomb is linear and we could just go with the " you are standing at the entrance, yada, yada, yada," kind of thing and get started quick.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

True and just knowing ToH's reputation gives you as much of an advantage as having been through it before. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Distorted Humor »

I would be willing to play in Tsojcanth or Tomb of Horrors, I have never played them. Nor read them for that very reason as i wanted to loose a few to ToH before reading it.

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by acererak »

I finally got some copies of the 1ed AD&D books and I want to run some sort of AD&D game. Wanted to run one of those, although I've been toying with ideas for my own dungeon as well. Decisions, decisions....

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

There's a ton of free stuff at DragonsFoot that begs to be played as well. Tons of stuff throughout the web too - PDFs and such. I'm sure I can point folks in good directions if anyone needs suggestions or PDFs.

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by acererak »

My other idea is Joe Bloch's Castle of the Mad Archmage, start of right at the entrance and let things go from there. " You are a band of intrepid adventurers now go!"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

acererak wrote:"You are a band of intrepid adventurers now go!"
That's my kind of game! ;) Not that I'm looking to take on any more characters just yet... just saying.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

acererak wrote:My other idea is Joe Bloch's Castle of the Mad Archmage, start of right at the entrance and let things go from there. " You are a band of intrepid adventurers now go!"
You've got good taste in adventures for sure!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by max_vale »

I'm down....for any of these!

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Castle of the Mad Archmage

#14 Post by acererak »

So I have decided on Castle of the Mad Archmage. I am gauging interest at this point. I know it is a megadungeon and short scenarios are better for PbP but I would like to give it a try. I would like to use the 1ed AD&D rule set and I would like to start off right in the dungeon. 4-6 characters should be good.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

Shoot, I was pondering starting another game, but if you have trouble recruiting I'll take a slot. I'll wait and see though, I don't want to take a slot from folks who aren't in at least a game or two.

If you get a bunch of folks, then it's a good sign for me to do another game (instead of play) possibly a high level one.

Good show ace! And good luck.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Vargr1105 »

rredmond wrote:Shoot, I was pondering starting another game, but if you have trouble recruiting I'll take a slot. I'll wait and see though, I don't want to take a slot from folks who aren't in at least a game or two.

If you get a bunch of folks, then it's a good sign for me to do another game (instead of play) possibly a high level one.
LoL! You know what rredmond? I had reached a similar conclusion.

I am currently playing in 4 PbP games: one Labyrinth Lord, one Basic/Rules Cyclopedia and two of your OSRIC/AD&D1e ones. I had never tried old-school PbPs before and they consume remarkably less time than I assumed they would. So I was thinking on starting my own and have a go at GMing a low-level AD&D1e module.

Then I saw acererak's thread and thought: "Yes, I'd play but only if he cannot fill all the slots. I already had one person cede their chance to play Slavers so I could join."

Then I saw your post.

Now I don't know if I should have a try at GMing, I do not want to steal prospective players from either you or acererak.

Maybe we could use a sticky somewhere on the forums where people who want to play can post and indicate how many games they are looking for, etc? Would-be GMs could check it and see if the available pool of players and their predilections can be accommodated by the game they wish to run.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

I'm with ya Varg. But I'm no where near being prepared to get a game up and running. We've worried about games canceling each other out with a lack of players and it hasn't happened. Heck starting up games here has been easy, and lately keeping them running has been going well too. Only one GM recently hasn't been able to get a game up and running. But I think she gave up too easily.

I'd love to see what you are going to start. Even if I don't play in either of you guys games, I'm betting they'll be great reading! Start a "Thinking about starting up a game thread" and see what happens!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Vargr1105 wrote:Maybe we could use a sticky somewhere on the forums where people who want to play can post and indicate how many games they are looking for, etc? Would-be GMs could check it and see if the available pool of players and their predilections can be accommodated by the game they wish to run.
I think that's actually a pretty good idea. A sticky thread where prospective players can add their names and the types of games they're interested in. Another idea would be to have DMs create a post for each of the games they're running with a "waiting list" that players can submit their names to.

Good idea, Vargr1105.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by acererak »

It seems we have an embarassment of riches :D I could just as easily play in another game instead of run one.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by rredmond »

Heh, you're not off the hook that easy!

Return to “Looking for players or games”