Calm before the Storm - A Mongoose Traveller campaign

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Iracundus
Runner
Runner

Calm before the Storm - A Mongoose Traveller campaign

#1 Post by Iracundus »

Hello everyone,

The goal is to run a Traveller campaign set in the Solomani Rim circa the Imperial year 1115. The system will be Mongoose Traveller (a personal blend of 1st and 2nd editions) with some input from GURPS Traveller Rim of Fire and Far Trader. The timeline is canon up to this point but may diverge from canon after this.

The party start on the Solomani Confederation side of the border and are mostly Solomani ethnicity (and citizenship), or are non-Solomani in the Confederation. Neither the Confederation nor the Imperium will be portrayed as "good guys" or "bad guys". Both polities have their flaws. The theme may be trading with smuggling or other shady activities. Involvement with the Confederation, SolSec, or the Imperium is possible if people are politically motivated. Currently the party will be aboard a mortgaged Beowulf class modified to be a Far Trader (as per the Mongoose Traveller High Guard 2nd edition design). Current start location still to be determined but one candidate is Twylo in the Capella subsector of the Solomani Rim.

There are 3 characters aboard right now from RL people I know and their chargen is done. They are new to the Traveller universe so initially it may be a bit of general trading or adventuring to see the sights and get grounding in the universe first before any major "interesting times" happen. There is room for more people if there is interest.

Due to everyone having busy RL schedules, there is leniency with respect to posting regularity. Similarly, that is why a story, trade, smuggling theme was chosen over a more combat or roll intensive style.

TheChairman999
Squire
Squire

Re: Calm before the Storm - A Mongoose Traveller campaign

#2 Post by TheChairman999 »

Hi everyone, I am already part of this campaign and have completed chargen. Looking forward to joining up with other players.

TheChairman999
Squire
Squire

#3 Post by TheChairman999 »

Hi everyone, I have already gone through chargen and am a participant in this campaign. Looking forward to playing!

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Keven »

1115, eh? Rebellion timeline? I'm reffing a CT game here in that era, in Reavers Deep.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Iracundus
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by Iracundus »

Keven wrote:1115, eh? Rebellion timeline? I'm reffing a CT game here in that era, in Reavers Deep.
Where my campaign timeline goes is not determined and may (and likely will) diverge from the canonical timeline.

I notice your timeline isn't strictly canon either such as an alternate trigger for the formation for the Federation of Daibei.

In any case, the players so far signed up are new to the Traveller universe so please let's not confuse or spoil them with talk of canon, spoilers, or alternate timelines.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Keven »

Still looking for players?
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Iracundus
Runner
Runner

#7 Post by Iracundus »

If you want to join, you can. RL and the holiday season has meant so far only 1 of the 3 other players has registered, though chargen is done for all 3 and editing is being done on their character backgrounds via PM elsewhere. I am taking the time to interweave and integrate everyone's character backgrounds in some form, as you might already see from the one posted character background. I have refrained from posting the intros and history for the characters until final editing in case they want to keep any aspects of personal history secret or private. In the meantime I have kept myself busy with planet and system generation and mapping. I did not want to be cracking the whip overly much given it is the holidays and RL priorities do matter.

Due to the other players being new to Traveller, the limits imposed on character generation were: Only humans (Vilani, Imperial, Solomani) though Uplifted Chimpanzees or Dolphins may be considered and the starting location is Twylo on the Solomani Confederation side of the border. Free choice of political affiliation (if any) though obviously this may have consequences.

Character generation is personalized, meaning I do it through PM's to hand-tailor it and to see where it can be interwoven with the other characters.

For experienced Traveller players, my Traveller universe may depart from canon in ways to make more sense (at least to me). For example, while the canonical open top Air/Raft exists, there are far more closed-topped vehicles simply because zipping around in the air at high speed and/or altitude presents issues of comfort and safety.

Iracundus
Runner
Runner

#8 Post by Iracundus »

Update: We may have had a player drop out.

So any additional players wanting to join are welcome. Previous Traveller experience not required. The role of ship engineer is currently vacant.

Iracundus
Runner
Runner

#9 Post by Iracundus »

*sigh*

Still open for any interested players to fill the position of a starship engineer. Last two applicants did not make it out of chargen before dropping out.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

Just wanted to bump this thread as I see we've had a couple of Traveller players show up, and Iracundus is still interested in running this game. :)

Be well everyone,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Eclipse
Strider
Strider

#11 Post by Eclipse »

Sounds interesting. I'll try creating an engineer character and post it.
Into the Marches
John Lee Petamore, IISS 3 terms
7A7865
Mechanical - 1, Electronics - 1, Streetwise - 1, SMG - 1, Revolver - 2, Air/Raft - 3

josephaleo
Squire
Squire

#12 Post by josephaleo »

I’d love to join! I’ve never played using Mongoose rules. I’m more familiar with Classic Traveller.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Hey Joseph!
Fancy meeting you here!
Glad you got in so quick. Like I mentioned there’s a two post moderation policy - but you’re halfway there!
Welcome,
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

josephaleo
Squire
Squire

#14 Post by josephaleo »

Making my obligatory second post.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

:lol:
You’re in sir!

Iracundus
Runner
Runner

#16 Post by Iracundus »

Thank you for expressions of interest.

Sadly due to RL work and relationship issues, the original captain and co-pilot players have informed me they are likely not available to play any more. So 2 more spots have opened up.

If there are any people interested, they can use the pre-made characters these 2 players have already made, but are of course free to make their own.

Odin One Eye
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Odin One Eye »

I would be interested in playing for sure!

Return to “Looking for players or games”