Crypts & Things Remastered - Interest Check

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

Crypts & Things Remastered - Interest Check

#1 Post by Tamerlaine »

I did the preorder for d101 Games' Kickstarter Crypts & Things Remastered, a Sword and Sorcery take of the classic S&W rules (I am getting the hardback issue). I'd like to run a game and I realize not everyone interested will have access to the rules, so I'm thinking of either 1) copy and send the players the character generation rules or 2) have a number of pre generated characters and hand them out convention tournament style. I think I'll be looking for veteran players as I really not have time to hold anyone's hands throughout the game.

So, if you're interested in more Robert Howard and Fritz Leiber and less Tolkien, take a look the online reviews of C&T Remastered and drop me a line if you're interested in playing 2or 3 weeks down the road.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Crypts & Things Remastered - Interest Check

#2 Post by Griffith »

I'd be interested in playing.
I have the original book of Crypt & Things rules, but did not participate in the latest Kickstarter. If they haven't totally revamped everything there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Tamerlaine »

Glad to see your interest, Griffith!

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

I backed the kickstarter and I'm a big fan of it and the original incarnation based on Akrasia's Swords & Wizardry House Rules

My only quibble with the game is the magic system. I'm all for things like corruption and distinguishing white, gray, and black magic. but I'm not sure it quite hits the mark for how I conceive magic should work in a swords & sorcery campaign? (FWIW, My personal fave for S&S is Wonder & Wickedness)

Minor issues aside, I'd be interested in playing. Are you going to use the built-in setting?
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Tamerlaine »

FlightlessScotsman wrote:Minor issues aside, I'd be interested in playing. Are you going to use the built-in setting?
I have been thinking about this. I don't know anything about C&T's campaign setting, Zarth, except the dying world part. I would like to use something with the flavor of Hyborea, so I'm still looking. I did come across something called the World of Xoth http://xoth.net/blog/2010/03/hello-world-of-xoth/ which looks promising if for inspiration.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of any other like worlds.

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Sorry for the long delay getting back, I've been out of town on work.

Anyway, the Zarth setting in the C&T book isn't really my cup of tea, but I really like the Xoth campaign world (I've used the "Legend" versions extensively in a BRP/Stormbringer game) So if you are planning on running the actual adventures from the books, I'm afraid I'm probably a little too familiar to play in them as-written -- of course if you're just using the setting then that's a different story.

I leave it up to you, but off-hand I think it could work OK. It might need some tweaking to make it fit the sort of gonzo/surreal style of C&T.
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Tamerlaine »

I don't care much for the Xarth setting myself (I finally received my C&T Remastered). I do like the Xoth setting each time I come back to it and I think I'll use it for our campaign. I'll need to do some changes to the tables as far as cultural backgrounds go. I won't be using the adventures in Xoth, so you're good.

FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Sounds good. Just let me know when you're ready to go via PM.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ybn1197 »

If you are still open, I would definitely be interested in this. Like Griffith, I don't have the remastered version (yet) but I do have the original rules.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Tamerlaine »

Thanks for your interest ybn1197. I don't think that will be an issue. I won't be using the included Xarth world, but rather I'll be using bits and bobs of this resource http://xoth.net/publishing/freebies/wor ... _guide.pdf such as the map and the different races.

That's three interested players. Let's try for one more to make four. I'll get in contact with you via PM when I'm ready.

EtarrTheGood
Squire
Squire

#11 Post by EtarrTheGood »

Did this game ever get off the ground. I'd be interested and have original rules.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Griffith »

EtarrTheGood wrote:Did this game ever get off the ground. I'd be interested and have original rules.
Yep, this game has started, but we are not beyond the point where someone could join us. I would PM Tamerlaine to let him know you are interested.

The game is here: Tomb of the Witch King Amun Thoth (Crypts & Things 2nd)

EtarrTheGood
Squire
Squire

#13 Post by EtarrTheGood »

Will do, thanks.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

Looks like another game is starting up too:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6411

Fun fun!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “Looking for players or games”