In The Marches (Traveller) [Closed to New Applicants]

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

In The Marches (Traveller) [Closed to New Applicants]

#1 Post by Eris »

2017/04/28 -- With four people joining, 2 already in and 2 working up characters, I'm closing the game to new players again. Welcome to our game's new players!

2017/04/20 -- I'm re-opening applications. Due to natural attrition, we've lost a couple of players and could use another 2 or 3. This is a good time for new PC's to join the group.

Specifically, I'm looking for a "Kaylee" and a "Jayne" or two...iow a PC with engineering/tech skills and a PC with some combat skills. However, any sort of Traveller character can be fit into the game.

2016/09/26 -- I'm closing applications for now with 5 players. We're just about to start playing and during this adventure there won't be a way to bring in a new PC.

The Spinward Main

--Summary

This will be a Classic Traveller Style campaign set in the 3rd Imperium just after the Fourth Frontier War. No prior experience with Traveller will be required.

In the Marches (Traveller) for more information.

--Background

When it looked like war was likely to break out between the Imperium and the Zhodani you were conscripted out of your career or reassigned to the Spinward Expedition, dropped into a low berth and shipped out to the frontier as part of a huge battle fleet. The Expedition traveled dozens and dozens of parsecs from the Core regions of the Imperium to the far frontier of the empire. This took well over a year for the fleet, but you slept all the way deep in your cryogenic chamber.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon how you look at it, the war was over and an armistice signed even before you arrived. Now, the Imperial Navy has to return that huge fleet to the Core Systems, but it is not going to return all the "popcicles" it brought along. Too expensive! Much
cheaper to demobilize most of the "frozen watch" in place, give them a couple of thousand credits, the thanks of the Emperor, and let them shift for themselves.

So, here you sit on Regina, way out on the Imperium's frontier, with a 2kCr card in your pocket and a cheap suit of clothes on your back. There's no way you're ever going to
make it back to where you started from, and besides you've really got nothing back there calling you anyway.

You've always longed for an adventurous life on the wild frontier and now you've found a way to get out here...on the Emperor's credit, too!

Let's go find an adventure!

--Flavor

This is going to be an old-style, little-black book Classic Traveller game. If you don't know Traveller, think Firefly across multiple star systems. The focus of the game will be on trade and exploration, with a bit of troubleshooting and skulduggery thrown in for good measure.

The PC's will probably become the crew of a tramp freighter, a small merchant ship, that has no regular routes and makes its money going places that the big corporations won't. PC's with skills in piloting, navigating, looking after engines, trading, looking after passengers, etc, are going to be
useful. And because "it's dangerous out here" skill with firearms and blades might be useful, too.

--Rules

I'll be using the "pay what you will" Cepheus Engine with some slight mods. Cepheus has a very Classic Traveller feel to it, which I like.

You can build PC's with Traveller Book 1 or the Cepheus Engine, subject to Referee approval. I also have a "quick creation" method for those that don't have Traveller and don't want to "play the character generation" game. If your PC dies or fails reenlistment that's where the PC was conscripted by the Navy, otherwise no more than 5 terms in a career before the PC is pulled into the game and shipped to the frontier.

No matter how many terms your PC serves you will only get 1 roll on the Retirement Benefits Table. (You left almost everything you might have had back in the Core Sector, out here you're all starting over again.)

I'll trust you to create your character, but remember Traveller is about average joes doing adventurous things, not super heros. A Skill level of 1 means you're good enough to get hired at something and a level of 3+ means you're a *real* expert. Don't worry if your PC seems light on skills, it just means you'll have to be creative...and that's where the fun is!

During the game I will roll almost all the dice and let you focus on role playing.

--Number of Players

I will start the game with as few as 2 players and won't accept more than 6. Lurkers will be welcome.

--My RPG "Chops"

I started with D&D in 1975 with the white box DMing right from the start as I couldn't convince any of my friends to DM...ever. :) I have been playing and refereeing Traveller since it first came out in 1977. I was part of the Fidonet RPG forums playing and GMing games (mostly Startrek) there in the 80's and 90's and moved to the internet with PBEM and PBP forum games after that. Currently, I am DM of 2 PBEM games and a player in 3 PBP games.

Eris,
The Traveller Heretic
Last edited by Eris on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: The Spinward Main [Recruiting]

#2 Post by Alethan »

Lurkers will be welcome, but only players may post.
FYI, unlike on Immersive Ink, on the Unseen Servant you (GM) have to add players to your game; anybody not added to the game cannot post in the game threads. So lurkers don't even have the ability to post. Players won't either until you have them properly set up (once the game folder is created).

Instructions for adding players: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6

Al
Site Moderator
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by Fidget76 »

Hey,

I am very interested in your proposed game. I love the Firefly style of gameplay where it is more about figuring out how to do the impossible rather than just being able to do the impossible.

I just need to download the Cepheus core rules and reacquaint myself with the style and system.

Hope that I make the cut! To the stars.
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Nuke66 »

As I had said before, I'll give this a go. Please add me to the forum and I'll get started.....eventually.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Eris »

I said I'd start the game with as few as 2 players and we've got 2 saying they're interested, so....

I'll apply to Tonixx and see we can get a forum set up for The Spinward Main.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by Fidget76 »

Awesome, can't wait.
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: In The Marches (Traveller) [4 Openings]

#7 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Be happy to join. It's been quite a while since I worked up a Book 1 character...
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Balrog
Runner
Runner

Re: In The Marches (Traveller) [2 Openings]

#8 Post by Balrog »

I would love to play!

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: In The Marches (Traveller) [2 Openings]

#9 Post by Eris »

Balrog wrote:I would love to play!
Great! I'll add you to the board.

Head over to In The Marches and look around.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

Re: In The Marches (Traveller) [Closed]

#10 Post by Keven »

I'm here. Just can't post anything yet.
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:I'm here. Just can't post anything yet.
Now you can! :)

Keven, I'll get back to you later today, if the creek don't rise, and we'll see about working you into the game. You *might* have to wait a bit but we'll get you ready to go and see how soon we can work you in.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Keven wrote:I'm here. Just can't post anything yet.
Now you can! :)

Keven, I'll get back to you later today, if the creek don't rise, and we'll see about working you into the game. You *might* have to wait a bit but we'll get you ready to go and see how soon we can work you in.

Eris
STILL can't post in the game subforum.
In The Marches:
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Keven »

I think you need to add me to the game yet.
In The Marches:

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:I think you need to add me to the game yet.
Yeah, silly me, I forgot. :) I've added you and Justin to the game, so you should be good to go now.

Sorry.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Keven wrote:I think you need to add me to the game yet.
Yeah, silly me, I forgot. :) I've added you and Justin to the game, so you should be good to go now.

Sorry.
:THWAP:
In The Marches:

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: In The Marches (Traveller) [Re-opened]

#16 Post by Eris »

As stated in the top post of this thread, due to natural attrition of players, I'm looking for two or three new folks to join our on-going game. Prior experience with Traveller rules is not required, just a willingness to post every day or two and to have some fun adventuring in the far future.

We could use a "Kaylee" and a "Jayne" type or two, if you get the reference. IOW, someone with engineering/tech skills and someone with lots of combat/gun bunny skills. However, almost any Traveller character will fit into the game.

The PC's are about to leave Regina on a "mission to find a missing Lord" and return him to his family. There is evidence he has been taken prisoner by some shady group...probably pirates...on Ruie. Finding him and either getting out, or confirming that he is really truly dead, will get the PC's much closer to getting a ship of their own due to the rewards from the operation and patronage from a local MegaCorp bigwig. New PC's could come aboard as members of the search and extraction team, and remain with the party afterwards, so this is a perfect time to join the game.

Eris,
the Traveller Heretic
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Tiglath »

Hello Eris,

I am interested in joining your game.

In order to bid for selection I would add I am a seasoned (if somewhat rusty) Traveller player but with a background in the AHL/Striker style rather than Classic mode.

However, more than happy to adapt if you'll have me!

Tiglath
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Tiglath!
Enjoy the site and gaming here!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Tiglath »

Thank you!
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, Tiglath.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Return to “Looking for players or games”