[CLOSED] West-Marches Style Lab Lord Sandbox open

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[CLOSED] West-Marches Style Lab Lord Sandbox open

#1 Post by Marullus »

New game, open for all players!

Lab Lord: The North Marches is an open sandbox-style game using Labyrinth Lord Basic rules and the West Marches method. Classic D&D style characters join in the exploration of the Northern Marches from the newly-established town of Gaul, which has put out a call for any willing to come from the Southern Lands. Ruins of lost civilizations await, as do other mysteries, for character-created expeditions to set out (and hopefully return). Player-driven action also will expand the civilized world, build new opportunities in the ArchDuchy, and otherwise carve the world with their drives, beliefs, desires, and legacy.

PM Marullus as the DM to be added to the game. Create a character and hop in, find or begin an expedition and move out into the world. Multiple characters allowed in the game, one PC per player on any given expedition. Multiple groups exploring the world at all times, any number of players welcome.

Origin: Keehnelf's Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox was the largest open-sandbox game on this site. When it was archived, we got together as the players and planned a new game using a similar set of rules, concept, and framework to allow continued sandbox play - this is a new chronicle with a new GM, inviting new players to join and old players to return as we open for play.
Last edited by Marullus on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [LFP/Open Sandbox] West-Marches Style Lab Lord Sandbox

#2 Post by Marullus »

Character creation and approval ongoing as of April 17th, 2016. Once approved, PCs are free to begin interacting on the IC town threads and establishing expedition groups. About three weeks are allotted for this. Expeditions will kick off in early May.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Just an update. We have 10 players active so far, with two expeditions in progress. This remains an open Sandbox for anyone interested - read the Character Creation thread and PM to be added to the game and join or lead the next round of expeditions. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

This is a good time to join the North Marches sandbox! We already have a healthy base of 10 players and daily activity; expeditions are returning to town to pick up new characters now and you can jump right in.

This remains an open Sandbox for anyone interested - read the Character Creation thread and PM to be added to the game and join or lead the next round of expeditions. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

Just raising this back up! We're an open game so you can contact me about joining any time. Right now, however, all PCs are in town for a festival and re-forming their expedition parties. It is an excellent time to join the game and get started.

If you'd like to join, just drop me a PM.

Then, go check out the Character Creation thread and roll a PC. We're using Lab Lord Basic with house-rules specified therein.

All classes from Lab Lord Basic are open and available. If you're inclined to play a Cleric, check out the Deities thread. There's some interesting material and I'm highly encouraging them. The other players will thank you. ;)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

If you are interested in a setting that is rich and a helluva lot of fun, with plenty of room for expansion, do yourself a favor and jump on board! Andrew (Marullus) is a fantastic DM and running a great game. ;)
I can vouch for the need for clerics; mine is in semi-retirement at the moment, and the new expeditions are putting out calls for divine spell-casters. Come and make your mark in this sandbox adventure!
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:If you are interested in a setting that is rich and a helluva lot of fun, with plenty of room for expansion, do yourself a favor and jump on board! Andrew (Marullus) is a fantastic DM and running a great game. ;)
I can vouch for the need for clerics; mine is in semi-retirement at the moment, and the new expeditions are putting out calls for divine spell-casters. Come and make your mark in this sandbox adventure!
This man does not speak with forked tongue.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, it's a great game!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

*Bump!*

We've been running almost a year in this sandbox with some great activity thus far. We have 17 currently active PCs involved in four separate adventures/expeditions, each pushing a different direction into the wilderness.

While we have a rolling admission, there's advantage to hopping in and joining up at certain times. There are some new players joining in right now, so it is an opportune time for you to come join us as well. Just read through Character Creation, come up with your concept, and PM if you'd like to play.

If you're looking for inspiration, information on these threads is generally known to new characters when they arrive in game. Backgrounds: Places of the Southern Lands is general knowledge about where PCs come from (the south, not the play area). [You can feel free to post more details here about what you decide for your character once approved, allowing others to build on your creativity.] The Songs of Gaul are tales of adventure written by players about the events in the game which percolate southward for new PCs to know. There is then also general campaign information in How This Works: House Rules and Clarifications.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Seriously an awesome game.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Mister-Kent »

Aw man, I miss the West Marches group! North Marches looks like great fun!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Hey Mister-Kent! Where ya been?
Hope all is well, good to see you around. :)
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Mister-Kent »

Doing great, and glad to be back :D Thanks!

Thinking of an ex-circus Fighter or Thief for North Marches: http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... ts&pc=4839
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Spearmint is playing Idriss, an ex-circus mage. Perhaps there is a backstory or you have common stories? Anyhow, it is a wonderful world. We're in the middle of a festival, so it is a good time to join in.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Expeditions/PCs arriving back in town. Anyone who is considering a new PC, it is an opportune time to join in. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Clerics are particularly in demand. Especially those who don't demand money for their services. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Clerics are particularly in demand. Especially those who don't demand money for their services. ;)
:lol:

For context, there are three stock deities in the game and Gods always have a price, which the Cleric arbitrates. That cost is gold, blood, and confession/secrets, depending on the deity chosen.

Clerics ARE in demand, though, and I appreciate those playing them. :)

Thebadgamer98
Strider
Strider

#18 Post by Thebadgamer98 »

Still looking for players? I'd be happy to hop in! I'll even give a Cleric a try!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

Welcome William!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Yep! Rolling admission. We are coming up on a reshuffling of new expeditions. :)

Return to “Looking for players or games”