Old School Mega-Dungeon (LL)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Old School Mega-Dungeon (LL)

#61 Post by Zorroroaster »

Aww, shucks. Now I'm all shy.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by tkrexx »

I don't even recall what I voted for, nor have I knowingly played Labyrinth Lords, but I'd like to be a part of this!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:I don't even recall what I voted for, nor have I knowingly played Labyrinth Lords, but I'd like to be a part of this!
You're in, man. I'll add you now.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Enoch »

I'm in if there's still room!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

Enoch wrote:I'm in if there's still room!
Of course, man. In fact, your timing is pretty good as we should hopefully be getting underway in the not-too-distant future.

I'll add you to the game now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Inferno »

Dave,
Barrowmaze ties for third place... and wins?! Who are you, Reince Priebus? ;) :lol:

Just kidding. I know 'Custom Dungeon' and 'Thracia' were included without any promises. I just couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I have to say I find it really interesting how you're wisely playing to your DM-ing style. You've had your share of great games that end with a TPK. So you've created a campaign that, by design, can survive endless TPKs. Brilliant.

Best of luck, man! :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

Inferno wrote:Dave,
Barrowmaze ties for third place... and wins?! Who are you, Reince Priebus? ;) :lol:

Just kidding. I know 'Custom Dungeon' and 'Thracia' were included without any promises. I just couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I have to say I find it really interesting how you're wisely playing to your DM-ing style. You've had your share of great games that end with a TPK. So you've created a campaign that, by design, can survive endless TPKs. Brilliant.

Best of luck, man! :)
It was just a survey. USS is a forum, not a Republic. ;)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by dmw71 »

Inferno wrote:Barrowmaze ties for third place... and wins?! Who are you, Reince Priebus? ;) :lol:
That is hilarious! Honestly, Barrowmaze was not my first choice, and after reading a bit of it, can see some potential logistical problems, but I'm already trying to think of ways to work with those limitations. Still, I'm pretty excited about it.
Inferno wrote:I know 'Custom Dungeon' and 'Thracia' were included without any promises. I just couldn't resist.
I got scared off of Thracia after reading the following comment from ken-do-nim: "I can tell you from having run it myself that you need to bump up the amount of treasure found considerably." Treasure assignment is definitely not a strength of mine. I also didn't want to risk botching anyone's "favorite adventure of all time." :)
Inferno wrote:Seriously though, I have to say I find it really interesting how you're wisely playing to your DM-ing style. You've had your share of great games that end with a TPK. So you've created a campaign that, by design, can survive endless TPKs. Brilliant.
Thanks, man. The idea of a mega-dungeon almost returns me back to my youth, when my brother and I would seemingly do one dungeon crawl after another. I'm sure there was some other "stuff" mixed in, but I look fondly back on those times.

Plus, building a game, that by design, is constructed to best survive the inevitable TPK is just another perk. Granted, the new characters will start from the beginning and not necessarily pick up where the TPK'd party left off, but time passes, the dungeon gets restocked, there are other adventuring groups (PC and NPC alike) that are exploring the same general area, so I'm there should be a constant supply of new opportunities.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Zhym »

dmw71 wrote: Treasure assignment is definitely not a strength of mine.
You don't say? ;)

I spend so much time whinging about the death rate in your campaigns that I forget to gripe about the low amounts of treasure. PCs in your games don't just die, they die penniless. :lol:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by Alethan »

DM "After three days, you successfully cleared the 30' long, 10' wide, 3' deep trench of acidic green slime."
Player 3 "Excellent! Now we search the bottom for any treasures that might have survived over the years, like gemstones or the like..."
DM "You search for 15 minutes. It's empty."
Player 3 "So but... not even like a magical dagger that survived its saving throw? Or... an aquamarine?"
DM "Empty. What next?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Inferno »

Alethan wrote:
Inferno wrote:Dave,
It was just a survey. USS is a forum, not a Republic. ;)
Yup. That's why I referenced Priebus, my friend. The RNC isn't a republic either. As we might soon be reminded in Cleveland. ;)
dmw71 wrote:Thanks, man. The idea of a mega-dungeon almost returns me back to my youth, when my brother and I would seemingly do one dungeon crawl after another. I'm sure there was some other "stuff" mixed in, but I look fondly back on those times.
Looks like that passion and nostalgia is already serving you well with this game. Good luck and good gaming!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#72 Post by Alethan »

Inferno wrote: Yup. That's why I referenced Priebus, my friend. The RNC isn't a republic either. As we might soon be reminded in Cleveland. ;)
I think it might be pretty cool to move to a country that was set up as a Republic.

;)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote:
Inferno wrote:Barrowmaze ties for third place... and wins?! Who are you, Reince Priebus? ;) :lol:
That is hilarious! Honestly, Barrowmaze was not my first choice, and after reading a bit of it, can see some potential logistical problems, but I'm already trying to think of ways to work with those limitations. Still, I'm pretty excited about it.
Inferno wrote:I know 'Custom Dungeon' and 'Thracia' were included without any promises. I just couldn't resist.
I got scared off of Thracia after reading the following comment from ken-do-nim: "I can tell you from having run it myself that you need to bump up the amount of treasure found considerably." Treasure assignment is definitely not a strength of mine. I also didn't want to risk botching anyone's "favorite adventure of all time." :)
Inferno wrote:Seriously though, I have to say I find it really interesting how you're wisely playing to your DM-ing style. You've had your share of great games that end with a TPK. So you've created a campaign that, by design, can survive endless TPKs. Brilliant.
Thanks, man. The idea of a mega-dungeon almost returns me back to my youth, when my brother and I would seemingly do one dungeon crawl after another. I'm sure there was some other "stuff" mixed in, but I look fondly back on those times.

Plus, building a game, that by design, is constructed to best survive the inevitable TPK is just another perk. Granted, the new characters will start from the beginning and not necessarily pick up where the TPK'd party left off, but time passes, the dungeon gets restocked, there are other adventuring groups (PC and NPC alike) that are exploring the same general area, so I'm there should be a constant supply of new opportunities.
pbp is slow enough that I have started to twiddle with the amount of treasure found; I roll twice for each treasure category and take the best result. If it is still under the listed average I adjust the treasure found up to the average.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Zhym »

I forget which game it was—Keehnelf's, maybe? AleBelly's?—where the DM admitted to intentionally boosting the XP rewards because gaining levels in a PbP game would otherwise be glacially slow.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by AleBelly »

That was me - I give xp boosts at each 500 post milestone (but no more often than a month). To avoid idle characters, though, I did keep the rule most do away with - having to pay for training!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Zhym »

OTOH, AleBelly's campaign has enough treasure that the cost of training hasn't been an issue (at least when damn fool PCs don't go giving away all their gold first).

Dave R
Runner
Runner

#77 Post by Dave R »

I'm late to the party, but I would love to get in this game.

On treasure, it's been my experience in high mortality games that it's hard to overdo. People buy armor, equipment, raise dead when they can, then they die anyway and start over anyway.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by dmw71 »

Dave R wrote:I'm late to the party, but I would love to get in this game.
You're in, man.

There are two groups about to set out, and one of them is a little light on manpower, so how quickly can you roll up a character? ;) (While the game is largely by-the-book, I do have the following house rules.)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by dmw71 »

Like the television show 24, this game is getting a reboot, and it looks like we will need a few more players: Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL).

About the game:
  • Yes, it will still be using the LL (no AEC) ruleset.
  • It will still primary be about exploring a mega-dungeon (but there will be some role-playing opportunities in town between adventuring stints).
  • Unlike my previous games, the pace of this one will likely be a bit slower (no slower than every other day, though).
Three of the original players (so far) are staying on, but I'm looking to have a party of 5-6 players in total, so there are a few slots available.

If you're interested, let me know.

Thanks,
Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'd be interested, if that is okay with you. Having only played LL with Keehnelf and Marullus, the differences in house rules might take a bit to adapt to.

Being a mega dungeon, how does leveling up work? Does it happen in the dungeon itself?

Return to “Looking for players or games”