[Interest check] Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Interest check] Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

#1 Post by Marullus »

Greetings, players!

I'm looking for any interest in a re-launch of this Campaign. (The original players dropped off the site around the holidays; opening the call to new players.)

The game is set in Tolkien's Middle Earth, when Smaug the dragon sacked the Dwarven Kingdom and the only human city with democracy, eating their maidens and sending all residents of both cities fleeing into the world. Fertile ground for character stories about people thrust into change.

The era of time we are in is a footnote, meant to provide the backdrop for the story of the Hobbit, when the dwarves come back and successfully face Smaug to reclaim the mountain halls in roughly 170 years. Little is written and we have great latitude to fill in that void. No knowledge of Tolkien is needed beyond what is posted in the game threads.

The game will heavily utilize "wises" - these are skills in the Burning Wheel system that allow players to define what is true or not true about the world, effectively world-burning during play as things come up and become consequential. I intend for this game to be "Sandbox-y" and very player-driven. Beyond the initial setting, we can go any direction the players desire.

System: Burning Wheel Gold. You can buy it here: https://www.burningwheel.com/store/inde ... -gold.html. If you don't have a copy and are hesitant to buy one, we can help with what you need and teach in-play.

Post rate: 3X per week. I am a daily-poster as the GM, but accept a slower rate. I would like players to be able to commit to at least one post every 2-3 days to keep the game progressing.

Game Feel: The goal is to have character-driven stories, driven by the players and the beliefs of the characters as they are thrust into a tumultuous time of change. The combination of a traditional fantasy world with the Burning Wheel system helps suits this well - Burning Wheel uses a lifepath system for character creation that allows you to build someone in any walk of life (not specifically adventurer classes). It is designed around characters Beliefs, Instincts, and Traits, which help define what the character is about and support strong roleplay. It uniquely functions well for someone out of their element, rewarding with character advancement not for succeeding at tasks but by trying the difficult or impossible and pushing personal limits. It includes robust game mechanics for for physical combat, social combat, and resources/world building. It includes a "wise" system of skills that allow you to define your areas of knowledge and shape the in-game reality during play by your knowledge (or with failed rolls, ignorance). Dwarves are strongly encouraged, as are humans. Elves are also possible. Willing to open this "sandbox style" with different threads branching off once the initial course is set.

Please post here with interest and questions.

You can also go here to look at the elements already setup for the game.
viewtopic.php?f=289&t=4888
Last edited by Marullus on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Berserker
Squire
Squire

Re: Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

#2 Post by Berserker »

I am a Tolkien fan so count me in!!

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

#3 Post by Fulci »

I'm still in!
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [LFP] Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

#4 Post by Marullus »

Starbeard wrote:I'm too busy to jump into a game right now, but I'll second Marullus' (Marulli? :) ) Smaug BW game. The BW system takes a bit of getting used to if you haven't played it before, but the whole point of the rules is to drive the game narrative, and Marullus is great about walking everyone through the rules without slowing the game down. Just by posting IC with your character's strong personality, Marullus can quickly explain what you'd be rolling and what is affected by success/failure.

Both success and failure can be good for your character's advancement, and knowledge-type skills generally work on the basis of 'make an assertion, and if you make the roll then it's true'. The posts tend to be fairly writing-heavy, but virtually every post has the PC interacting meaningfully with the game world, so a lot happens in a short amount of time, and you actually feel like your PCs are affecting the world in little ways every time they do something (because they are).
Thanks for the plug, Starbeard!

Anyone else interested, please post or PM. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Closed] Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

#5 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for rogering-up you two. Not enough players to mount a re-launch, though. I'll turn off this call for players for now and leave the game on hiatus.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Closed] Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smaug

#6 Post by Marullus »

*bump* Interest check for Burning Wheel? Anyone want to play dwarven and human refugees from Erebor and Dale? I'd still be interested in running this if there are players that want to play it.

If there's enough interest, I'll scrub the forum and we'll restart with new PCs. You can go take a look at what was posted last time for inspiration.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Interest check] Re-Launch: Burning Wheel, Rise of Smau

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I got overwhelmed with the idea of having a caravan and an entire clan to care for last time. And I was intimidated by RP'ing a dwarf. With a bit more experience under my belt, I'd like to give this a go again though. And I'll be more honest about what I can/cannot take on.

I'll play a dwarf or human. Whichever is of more interest/benefit to the group.

Is it still the idea of a dwarf caravan going cross-country to find a new hold to call home?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

The idea is to have dwarves and humans thrust out of their comfort zones as refugees from Smaug. What that means is very player driven - last time that meant a wagon train of dwarf clan dependents because you were a wagoneer with strong beliefs about his family and clan. It could instead go in a variety of directions.

It could be humans. It could be dwarves. It could be nobles or commoners. It could involve the last Dwarven Ring of Power, the Necromancer of Mirkwood, or be totally mundane.

This story is the Nexus of so much Tolkien lore, but is largely untold. Check this thread for inspiration.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:The idea is to have dwarves and humans thrust out of their comfort zones as refugees from Smaug. What that means is very player driven - last time that meant a wagon train of dwarf clan dependents because you were a wagoneer with strong beliefs about his family and clan. It could instead go in a variety of directions.

It could be humans. It could be dwarves. It could be nobles or commoners. It could involve the last Dwarven Ring of Power, the Necromancer of Mirkwood, or be totally mundane.

This story is the Nexus of so much Tolkien lore, but is largely untold. Check this thread for inspiration.
I'd be game to give it a try, I'm curious how Burning Wheel would play as a play by post.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

mynamesart
Squire
Squire

#10 Post by mynamesart »

I would definitely be interested in playing, although I too admittedly have never given BW a spin on play by post. But this is a scenario I'm very much into if you're still looking for players.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Art (if that is your name):

Hopefully you enjoy PbP, a preferred mode of play around here ;)
There is a two-post moderation policy, so after approval of your second post there should be no delays in ability to post or PM.

Again welcome, Unseen Servant is a supportive PbP community, so I'm sure you'll find you like it here!

Be well,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Well, the answer of how Burning Wheel goes on PBP is that it goes -slow-. :) I am fine with that and embracing that expectation, instead focusing on giving opportunity for good player role-play.

There are two other aspects I am looking to explore that I think work well with Burning Wheel:
  • Being out of your element. Other class-based RPGs don't function in this chaos, outside of class-based lanes. Burning Wheel uses a lifepath system to determine what you've done before but works best when you are thrust into change. I am interested in seeing how this plays out - dwarves have very structured apprenticeships, what do they do when thrust out of the hold as refugees? What beliefs are most important to hold onto as society disintigrates?
  • Wises. This is a lore-rich world, and Wises give a way for players to drive world developments during game play. I give out some extra Wises and look forward to seeing how they are used.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:Well, the answer of how Burning Wheel goes on PBP is that it goes -slow-. :) I am fine with that and embracing that expectation, instead focusing on giving opportunity for good player role-play.

There are two other aspects I am looking to explore that I think work well with Burning Wheel:
  • Being out of your element. Other class-based RPGs don't function in this chaos, outside of class-based lanes. Burning Wheel uses a lifepath system to determine what you've done before but works best when you are thrust into change. I am interested in seeing how this plays out - dwarves have very structured apprenticeships, what do they do when thrust out of the hold as refugees? What beliefs are most important to hold onto as society disintigrates?
  • Wises. This is a lore-rich world, and Wises give a way for players to drive world developments during game play. I give out some extra Wises and look forward to seeing how they are used.
Yea, it will be slow. I'm hoping I have better luck with this one than Torchbearer...

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

So that is:
Rusty Tincanne
Ffilz
Mynameisart

Yes?

I think that's a quorum. I will see if I can clean up the forum this weekend.

What are your inspirations for characters?

mynamesart
Squire
Squire

#15 Post by mynamesart »

I'm pretty flexible in terms of what the rest of the group is looking for plot-wise, but I'm personally very interested in playing a dwarf and kind of the roaming aspect of the story. Specifically, I like the idea of how the dwarves function having been forced from their isolated home and now having to ingratiate themselves more into the outside cultures while they try and find a permanent home. Anybody else have any thoughts?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

Do we want an all dwarf party? I haven’t ever played a dwarf but would also be interested in playing a human if we want a mixed group.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Craigers07 »

Is there room for one more? I'm ok with playing a dwarf or human.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Always room for one more!

You are all added to the forum, now. Just give me another day or so to clean out the old threads - since this is a new crew, we will reboot the story. (You are welcome to look at old PCs and conversations for inspiration, though.)

Go and discuss your new character concepts here:
viewtopic.php?f=289&t=6986

If you are all dwarves and/or have a linked starting history, we can begin by jumping straight into some form of action or plan. If not, we will have the prelude in the refugee camp where you can meet and establish the plan of action.

mynamesart
Squire
Squire

#19 Post by mynamesart »

I don't appear to be able to post replies in the character discussion thread as of yet, so in the meantime I'll ask the question here:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so apologies if I've missed it, but have there been any discussions regarding magic in the game as it pertains to dwarves? Not like a dwarf mage mind you, but specifically I'm thinking about making a dwarf bard of sorts, and I thought it might be interesting to give him the Folklore skill. That being said, I don't want to throw the game or canon out of whack, so if we're not okay with the making charms and such aspect of the skill, maybe using it as something similar to a wise related to superstitions? Anybody have any thoughts and/or concerns?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Magic, for dwarves, is inherent in their nature and manifests in their magic-imbued skills (see War Art, Nogger, Excavation, and Stentorious Debate as examples).

The "bard" aspect seems to be covered under Abdecart and Chronicler under the Noble setting. Dwarven tales are a solemn thing.

A dwarf imersed in superstition and folklore (of which there is plenty of in Mirkwood) sounds like an Outcast with the Runecaster lifepath and Slave to Fate trait.

I would probably allow you to buy Folklore with your general skill points. It sounds like you're looking to the "crazy witch" human LP for inspiration. Getting to the Outcast setting through Dwarven lifepaths is the interesting challenge.

Return to “Looking for players or games”