Anyone interested in a Pulpy 30s Crimson Skies RPG?

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Anyone interested in a Pulpy 30s Crimson Skies RPG?

#1 Post by max_vale »

Hey there peoples of the Unseen Servant! As my Game of Thrones game has come to a crashing finish due to hemorrhaging players; I figured I'd switch gears and see if anyone out there might be interested in a 1930s, Pulpy PBP game set in the alternate-history world of Crimson Skies?

If you're not familiar with Crimson Skies; it was a board/miniatures game that morphed into a couple of video/computer games in the late 90s thru early 2000s which was set in the 1930s, but one with an Alternate History where Prohibition resulted in the United States fragmenting into over a dozen small nations and aircraft and zeppelins became the 'highway system' of commerce, warfare and air piracy. Many 'concept' planes from the 30s and 40s; including many pusher prop (where the propeller is set in the back of the plane) aircraft; planes with hooks designed to allow them to operate from massive airships; etc. are the reality in this gaming universe; and air-pirates who boost cargo/take hostages from commercial air-ships are the new scourge of the skies in place of the road-bandits of reality. (I.e. Dillinger, Baby-face Nelson, etc. are replaced by pilot versions)

I'm envisioning a crew of pirates (probably more the 'good hearted' kind a la Han Solo than the 'Blackbeard' kind from history); flying in planes operating out of a commandeered airship carrier moving across the globe and mixing up with shady businessmen; crooked air militia; and of course EVIL fascists and fellow pirates. As for rules; I'm thinking of using the d6 rules a la Star Wars 1st Edition with a few house rules and the action will probably be split between dog-fights/zeppelin boarding fights and good old fashioned feet on the ground stuff too. If the game lasts long enough; I'm happy to open it up to some of the more 'pulpy' themes/tropes from various sources such as mystical artifacts (a la Raiders of the Lost Ark); futuristic tech (rocket packs a la The Rocketeer); exotic/supernatural locales such as the Hollow Earth (a la Hollow Earth Expedition); etc.

As for posting rate; due to my job and family life; I tend to make 1 or 2 posts a week and so the game would be a bit slower than some of the games on these boards. If this sounds like your cup of tea; please let me know....I'm looking for 3-6 players but PLEASE only join up if you're planning on sticking around for awhile.

Anybody out there interested in taking to the unfriendly skies of the alternate 30s?

-Max
Last edited by max_vale on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Anyone interestedin a Pulpy 30s Crimson Skies RPG?

#2 Post by max_vale »

Sigh, I just realized I forgot to put a space between 'interested' and 'in'.......whoops! :oops:

If a moderator could fix that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and sorry!

-Max

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If we need to, can we invoke the right of parley? Because according to the Code of the Brethren... :P

I'll keep an eye on this to see if it goes anywhere. I might be persuaded...

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

Cool deal!

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Fulci »

The setting is right up my alley, but I just don't have enough time on my hands right now to join another game, sorry :(
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

max_vale wrote:Sigh, I just realized I forgot to put a space between 'interested' and 'in'.......whoops! :oops:

If a moderator could fix that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and sorry!

-Max
You can fix that. Just modify the subject line of your first post.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Anyone interested in a Pulpy 30s Crimson Skies RPG?

#7 Post by DavetheLost »

I haven't read Crimson Skies since the game came out, but I love the idea of a Thirties era aeropulp game.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by max_vale »

Awesome! There's 1; welcome aboard Dave!

Anybody else up for some spinning props, zeppelin aircraft carrier, Nazi foiling, .45 and Tommy Gun blazing action in the adventure filled world of the puply 30s?

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by kipper »

I'm in!!! Love love love 30's pulp games, even ran a few myself once years ago. Not familiar with Crimson Skies though, but that shouldn't be a problem.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by max_vale »

AWESOME! Always great to have you aboard Kipper; thanks!

That's 2......1 more and we can get started!

-Max

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Is this the RPG?
http://tekeli.li/crimsonskies/cs_rpg.html
Looks interesting.
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by max_vale »

Hey Ron;

I had never seen that home-brew before; but it looks like he's basing it off of the Crimson Skies board game/computer games universe I'm using. For more info on the universe it's set it in; try this site:

http://crimsonskies.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Skies

As for an RPG; there is no published version; I'm just using the d6 rules as created by West End Games for 1st Edition Star Wars RPG (circa 1987) with a few house-rules. If you're not familiar with the system; it's really simple; everything (attributes, skills, etc.) is listed as a number of 6 sided dice you get to roll to defeat a Difficulty number. So, let's say you're character: Joe Schmuckatelli is in a dogfight with a despicable Nazi fighter plane. He has 5D in his Piloting skill roll; so to see if he can get into good position on the maneuvering German; he rolls those 5 dice and adds them up and compares them to a Difficulty number. For example; let's say the GM says "Beat a 17"; you roll the 5 dice and add them up for a total of 18…you succeed and get into position to fire a burst at the plane. Now you get to roll your Gunnery skill; which is let's say; 4D+2……and so on and so forth. Pretty simple.

Are you interested in joining the game? I'd love to have you onboard!

Here's some links to some pics of the planes and zeppelins and what not….

http://crimsonskies.wikia.com/wiki/Hugh ... stator.jpg

http://crimsonskies.wikia.com/wiki/Hugh ... odHawk.jpg

http://www.spawnfirst.com/wp-content/up ... Skies1.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _Cover.png

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

A few questions:
1. Are you rolling dice or the players? (Just interested. I can be happy either way... You write a nice story.)
2. Do I get to demand my right to parlay, as set down by the pirates Captain Morgan and...
3. How well would I need to know the rules? Can I just throw out a toons and you tell me what to do?

My plate is pretty full at the moment, but the opportunity to play a naive do-gooder that says things like, "gosh," "dad-gum," etc while fighting nazis or outrunnin he law is compelling. :D

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by max_vale »

Hey Rusty; I'd LOVE to have you onboard! To answer your questions:

1. I'm cool either way….I find it easier to make all the rolls after the players tell me what they want to do; but I can work either way.

2. ABSOLUTELY you can invoke your Pirate code for Parlay….it's just a question of whether or not the other guy will A. abide by it and B. he/she understands what you're saying….not every Nazi speaks badly accented English….some don't speak it at all! :)

3. I don't think you really need a massive understanding of the rules; they're really pretty simple and straightforward….you can take a gander at my Star Wars d6 PBP game on these boards to get a feel for them; or check out any of the numerous d6 games out there…..but really; it's not very complicated and I think you'd be fine with just saying; "I throw a haymaker at the Nazi goon on the right and then dive behind the overturned bar-table and yank out my Colt .45"……I can translate that into the rules VERY easily! :)

Finally; if anybody out there really doesn't know much about Pulp stuff or Crimson Skies…..think of this game as "Indiana Jones meets Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"…..hope that helps!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

Max-got room for another? Maybe a grizzled mechanic with a funny accent?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Forgot to confirm my participation. I am confirmed.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by max_vale »

Urson: Absolutely I have room for 1 more; welcome aboard!

Rusty: Thanks amigo; glad to have you with us!

Kipper: As always, thanks for being a great player!

Dave: I'm hoping you're still good to go, sir?

Ron: You interested?

Okay peoples; life has been more than a little crazy this past week, so I haven't had the time I had hoped I would for these boards, sorry about that! However, it looks like things are getting back to the usual pace (knock on wood); so Hopefully I'll have some threads for this game up and running this week or early next. Thanks again all of you and I'll get cracking on material for this game over the next couple of days.

-Max

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by max_vale »

Hey everybody, sorry for the delay....Tonixx opened up a board for this game, which I will start to fill with threads over the next couple of days. I think I'll cannibalize a Pulp adventure I have called "The Jewel of Sumatra" for the initial 'episode' of the game. Everybody still aboard?

-Max

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Urson »

yep- just tell me what you need to know...
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by kipper »

Still here, and I've bookmarked the new board.

Return to “Looking for players or games”