ACKS Dwimmermount (Open)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ACKS Dwimmermount (Open)

#1 Post by drpete »

Over the last few weeks, rumors have begun to circulate that the magical wards that once sealed off the great fortress Dwimmermount have fallen. Shadowy figures are reportedly going into, and coming out of, the magical mountain.

For hundreds—maybe thousands—of years, Dwimmermount served as a fortress for a succession of empires. It fell two centuries ago, when a rebel uprising culminated in a mysterious cataclysm that sealed the dungeon off from the outside world.

Dwimmermount is located a few miles to the northwest of the fortified town of Muntburg.  Many of the inhabitants of Muntburg and the nearby region known as the City-States are there to keep an eye on Dwimmermount. Some hope to enter the dungeon to get rich, others to free one of the powerful beings which the local authorities hope will remain locked away in Dwimmermount’s extra-dimensional prison.

Dwimmermount was excavated from the tallest mountain in the Wintertop range and is reputed to have at least half a dozen levels, if not double that number.
The dungeon was the site for the most important magical research of past eras, including investigations into time, space, and the creation of life.

Now, the race is on to uncover the secrets locked within and either claim them or keep them away from the competition.  Several adventuring parties have been converging on Muntberg.  Some are agents of local powers, others are simply seeking to make their fortune.  Who will come out on top is anyone's guess.  How will your group fare?

-------------

I would like to run a game centered on the megadungeon Dwimmermount using the ACKS system.  I'll give each player 5 sets of 3d6 rolls with which to create 3 characters, one to begin play with, and two backups.  Class and race selection are somewhat constrained here, as is selection of gods, due to details of the setting. We'll be playing a lawful/neutral party, though there would be opportunities to break bad, I suppose.

------------

We've been going strong for a year! Come join us for an adventure!
Last edited by drpete on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Dwimmermount...?

#2 Post by drpete »

Not seeing a lot of response, so let me tell you about myself, and about the world...

I'm a long time gamer and pbp-er, though mostly on the player side. I played in a long running pbem that ended up in Dwimmermount, and in the Against the Giants game here, along with a few others, though I have reduced my gaming lately.

I tried my hand at dming here once before, with ACKS Wilderlands, but that was more of a wilderness thing, and I want to go into the dungeon.

The Dwimmermount megadungeon is very cool, with sort of a B1/old school feel, but going down like a dozen levels. It has some Sci Fi elements, planetary invaders and such, with opportunities to really explore the lore in play, if that's your thing.

I mentioned in the first post that there were some restrictions, so I'll outline those...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Adventurers in the world of Dwimmermount may be men, dwarves, or elves.

Men

When adventuring in the world of Dwimmermount, men may belong to the following classes: assassin, barbarian, bladedancer, cleric, explorer, fighter, mage, priestess (or priest), shaman, thief, venturer, and witch. Each of these classes functions as described in ACKS or ACKS Player’s Companion, except for the religious classes, which have some variation in weapon choice and code based on chosen deity.

Dwarves

Dwarves in the setting of Dwimmermount differ slightly from the way that they are described in the ACKS rulebook. The most significant factor is that they are exclusively male; there are no female dwarves. Consequently, dwarves do not reproduce as men do, but rather by carving their “sons” from rock and magically imbuing them with life. Many outsiders consider dwarves to be artificial beings, akin to animated statues or golems. Exploring the truth about the origin of the dwarven race and what conclusions should be drawn as a result was a central theme in the original Dwimmermount campaign, and could be a strong motivation here.
Because of their unusual nature, when dwarves die, they turn to stone. Thus, they cannot be restored to life through the use of raise dead, but instead require the spell stone to flesh. However, dwarves do benefit from other healing effects including spells such as cure light wounds and magic items such as rings of regeneration.

All dwarves belong to either the delver, machinist, or vaultguard class. There are no dwarven craftpriests or furies in the world of Telluria.

Elves

The term “elf” is a Thulian word used to describe those intelligent, humanoid beings who can claim descent from the Eld. At the climax of the uprising against the Eldritch Empire, the Eld nobility retreated en masse back to the Red Planet in the face of the Thulian onslaught. Those Eld unable to return whence they came, in time, came to be known as elves. As relatives of the evil Eld, elves are generally looked upon with suspicion by men and dwarves to this day.

The defining characteristic of the elves is their longevity: so far as anyone knows, elves are immortal. They can be killed and certain ailments may slay them, but they never die of old age. All elves, regardless of their chronological age -- and many elves claim to be over a thousand years old -- look as if they were approximately in their late teens or early 20s from a human perspective.

Interestingly, elves, unlike most other races, cannot be raised from the dead if slain. The spells restore life and limb, reincarnation, and resurrection simply have no effect.

Though there are many tall tales of “half-elves”
— the result of a star-crossed romance, usually between a human hero and a beautiful elven maiden — there’s no evidence that such a thing is even possible. For their part, elves take no interest whatsoever in humans (or any other race) as objects of affection. Furthermore, though elves do have two genders that, outwardly at least, resemble those of humans, elves do not marry or form pair bonds or have any other kind of social arrangements that suggest either the formation of families or indeed any purpose to the physiological differences between the genders. It’s almost as if elves were male and female in imitation of humans!

Save for the fact that they cannot benefit from restore life and limb and related effects, the elves of Dwimmermount are functionally identical to those presented in the ACKS rulebook. All of the elven classes in ACKS (spellsword and nightblade) and ACKS Player’s Companion (courtier, enchanter, and ranger) are available.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

The clerical classes (bladedancer, cleric, priest, and priestess) represent men and women who have devoted their lives to serving one of the deities of the Thulian Great Church and been gifted with miraculous powers in return for their service. Only the races of man worship the gods; and all of the gods, regardless of their spheres of influence, support and protect the civilization of man. As a result, the various clerical classes are generally available only to humans of Lawful alignment.

The Great Church was a religious institution of the Thulian Empire, formed from an amalgamation of the nine most influential faiths among the Thulians. Eight of the original deities honored by the Great Church are shown on the table below. The ninth “deity” was called Anyastos, who was, according to orthodox interpretation, not a deity at all, but rather an abstract concept—The Divine— representative of the power above and beyond all the other gods. Anyastos had no priesthood or temples of his own, instead being revered by all of the Church’s constituent faiths. Of course, there have always been tales of secret societies and esoteric orders devoted to him. Later, Turms Termax identified himself with The Divine and his worship eventually supplanted that of Anyastos within the Great Church.

Anesidora (L/G) -- goddess of grain, fertility, marriage, and law
Asana (Law) -- goddess of strategy, heroism, and science
Caint (L/G) -- god of medicine, poetry, and music
Donn (Law) -- god of the dead
Mavors (L/E) -- god of warfare
Tenen (Law) -- god of travelers, craftsmen, and invention
Tyche (Law) -- goddess of fortune, prosperity, and destiny
Typhon (L/E) -- god of judgment, discipline, and trade

Anesidora -- Clerics, priests and priestess
Asana -- Clerics, bladedancers, priests and priestess
Caint -- priests and priestess
Donn -- cleric (male) or priestess (female)
Mavors -- Bladedancer or Cleric
Tenen -- priests and priestess
Tyche -- bladedancer, cleric, priest or priestess
Typhon -- clerics, priests or priestess

All martial clerical classes have custom weapon selection based on deity, and priests/priestess have custom vows based on deity.

Some men and women possess the ability to cast divine spells, although they serve neither Law nor the deities of the Thulian Great Church. Such men and women have – knowingly or unknowingly - thrown in their lot with Chaos, as embodied by the various demon lords and princes of the Great Void. The classes in this category include shamans and witches of Neutral alignment.

Shamans and witch PCs may be of Neutral alignment. They are calling upon both Lawful and Chaotic powers for their spells. They function exactly as described in the ACKS Player’s Companion.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by kalstone »

I've never actually played ACKS, but I have the Player's Companion. I would be willing to give it a shot if you don't mind a new player.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Dogma »

Hi drpete

I would like to get in on this action...

I have the ACKS books (The main rules and the Player's Companion). Been wanting to play a game for a while.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

Kalstone, Dogma, welcome aboard :)

Let's give it a few days to see if we can add some more. Otherwise, we may need to hire a few mercenaries to help with the odds.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by NJWilliam »

I'm a little rusty, but would like to get in on this.
Now to find the ACKS books I had. . .
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

I'm sure you'll be able to keep up, NJ! So that makes 3...

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

Unfortunately I am currently playing in a game of Dwimmermount, otherwise I'd be all over this like yellow on cheese. I will say that I have greatly enjoyed it, thus far.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

Sorry to hear that, Thirdkingdom. Maybe we can compare notes at some point down the line.

As for this game, I'm thinking maybe we can get things underway soon, and keep it open for new players to join in.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: ACKS Dwimmermount (Recruiting)

#12 Post by ken-do-nim »

I'd be interested in playing, but I'm burnt out on low level play. If you decide to start characters at higher levels, I'm in.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Lamech »

I'll throw my hat in!

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zorroroaster »

I'm keen to play if you have some space. My FtF game is ACKS and I enjoy it immensely. I think my DM from that game is interested in this as well, so I think we'll see him in here shortly.

Looking forward to it!
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by bobloblah »

As if I don't get enough of Zorroroaster on Friday nights! Still, I'm keen to play in this game...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

Alright!

Lamech, Zorro and Bob, welcome aboard!

Ken, I sympathize ... maybe down the road there will be a chance to get in at a higher level, if we survive that long :)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by AleBelly »

bobloblah wrote:As if I don't get enough of Zorroroaster on Friday nights! Still, I'm keen to play in this game...
Is Zorro as much of a nut in RL as he is on these boards? :D

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by ToniXX »

AleBelly wrote:Is Zorro as much of a nut in RL as he is on these boards? :D
Does he really look like his profile picture?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ToniXX wrote:
AleBelly wrote:Is Zorro as much of a nut in RL as he is on these boards? :D
Does he really look like his profile picture?
:lol:
Is his name actually............TIM!!!???

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by bobloblah »

However funny he is in his play-by-post games, you can triple it, then add booze and you've got our Friday nights.

Return to “Looking for players or games”