Slow Post - Humanspace Empires - Now Closed for Real!

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Slow Post - Humanspace Empires - Now Closed for Real!

#1 Post by Blackrazor »

To be upfront and honest with all potential players my posting rate fluctuates from daily to weekly to monthly so if you are looking for a game that has 5 posts a day this will sorely disappoint.

Now onto the game....

It is called Humanspace Empires and is a riff off of OD&D rules, set in MAR Barker's Tekumel universe though at a period of time roughly 50,000 years before the disappearance of Tekumel into a pocket dimension, along with 722 other worlds.

This is basically space D&D.

The game was in a revised draft when it's creator disappeared - who may have fallen into a pocket dimension himself a couple years ago.

The draft rules are available for free at

http://ixians.blogspot.com/

I am looking for a small group of 3 or 4 dedciated players at most. Folks who are familiar with and enjoy Tekumel and the Empire of the Petal Throne would be great applicants.

I am thinking of following a more episodic campaign style - like Dr. Who or Star Trek episodes.
Last edited by Blackrazor on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baron
Scout
Scout

Re: Slow Post - Humanspace Empires

#2 Post by Baron »

Me, oh me!

Been a fan of Tekumel for years. I have finally started running my own campaign set in Jakalla. I would love the chance to give HE a try!
Captain Dars Quade in "On the Knife's Edge"

Baron
Scout
Scout

#3 Post by Baron »

BTW, if you want more players I'd be happy to mention this game to some other Tekumel fans...

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Blackrazor »

That is so kind of you Baron to offer. Please do. Also please be sure to remind folks of the games slower posting rate, as that is a turn off to some players.

Thanks once again.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Blackrazor »

I will say this to potential players, in the hopes of gaining their trust and interest. I am usually around daily, unless work or life calls me away. When work beckons, it can be a busy time with late unpaid nights and long weeks and at times even a month may be swamped with work. This is not the case usually, but it is a reality.

I hope being upfront and honest will show others of my sincerity, especially in this world of electronic anonymity.

So, if you like space D&D, do not mind the occasional break as life and duty call, and want to have some fun, then join me for an adventure.

I will point out, that this is not Tekumel proper, but a game set in that world's prehistory. Tekumel itself is a pleasure planet, terraformed and enjoyed by many.

This is a setting reminiscent of Dune, early Star Trek, Doctor Who - the Pertwee and Tom Baker years - Flash Gordon and Planet of the Vampires - maybe with a dash of Wing Commander and Larry Niven.

He'll, if anything you get a fee PDF with some cool ideas to steal for your own games.

So strap on your laser, fasten your space helmet, and step into the mysterious and hyper violent universe of Humanspace Empires.

Amalric
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by Amalric »

Hi! I'm a veteran gamer, and I followed Baron's link on RPol to here. Thought I'd registered for US some time ago, but apparently not.

I'm on Dragonsfoot and RPol, and play a number of PbP games on both. I love early D&D (OD&D, BECMI, 1E particularly) and TRAVELLER, and have a EPT ruleset for background!

I couldn't sign up for this fast enough, and the posting works for me, I'm easy.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Blackrazor »

Glad you are aboard Amalric, and I highy apprecate your exited, no pressure attitude. Thanks.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Argh. No why do you have to go invoking old school Star Trek [looks down at command insignia tattoo]?
Just reviewed the ruleset and get the OD&D feel. Slow post is a rate I can handle, and a mole man scientist is just intriguing... I know the dice need to fall where they may.

Just a question, how rules proficient (not rules lawyer, rules proficient!) does one have to be? Once I make my character, how well do I need to know the rules, or how often will I need to refer back to them once game play starts? I haven't played a space rpg since Star Frontiers over two decades ago. But as an original series Trek nerd, I'm very interested to learn more about this game for sure. I'm going to read over the rules again.

--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:I'm very interested to learn more about this game for sure.
Nice. Blackrazor, you have a big fish nipping at your bait... now hook him and reel him in. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Nice. Blackrazor, you have a big fish nipping at your bait... now hook him and reel him in. ;)
I did not realize the extent of this fish's treknerdness...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:
dmw71 wrote:
I did not realize the extent of this fish's treknerdness...
Didn't see that facebook pic then eh? :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Blackrazor »

Rredmond, thanks for your interest. The rules are basic and familiar D&D, nothing overly complicated. You will tell me what you want to do, we may roll some dice and that's about it. No combat grids, no 5 foot steps, no feats, no complex weapon charts, no advanced calculus or physics. If you write your psy power descriptions down, there is little if any rules searching you would be forced to undertake.

So no rules mastery is required.

I will ask you a question. How do you see the game developing? What would you like to see happen.

I envision something along the lines of mini modules / adventures. I would like something bigger going on, arch plots, the bind the pieces together and move the game away from Scooby Doo Gang one shot deals. I do not see space epics, forced story lines, you must do this or else gameplay.

Baron
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by Baron »

I'm OK with what you've described, shorter adventures that may or may not have somethiing that binds them together.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Blackrazor »

Baron, Amalric and Rredmond, if he is on board, would make three and we could move and start a game. If we need more time to attract a 3rd or 4th player, that is fine. I am patient.

Baron
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by Baron »

I think we'd want at least three, but no reason we couldn't get started on chargen.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Count me in. I'm sure I'll be fine. Should be interesting!
--Ron--

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Blackrazor »

Excellent! I will start up a game forum this week. I just started a new, more involved job, so have been a bit preoccupied but have been reading Drune's Blog, his old pbp game Strswords and Glory and other sci fi stuff - like the official Doctor Who website.

I am going to edit some of Drune's history/races/tech a bit to fit my vision of Humanspace as well.

So be prepared, your journeys through Humanspace and beyond will begin in a few solar rotations.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Blackrazor »

ToniXX had created our forum. I will populate it with threads soon. A few questions, favors, and rules will be up first, before the character generation thread.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

Just for the heck of it, I rolled a PC, 3d6 in order, on the DF character generator. Got me an 18 in CON! Woot.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (83.13 KiB) Viewed 3590 times
If these rolls are alright by you, do I leave the 18 in CON or does it go to PSY (which corresponds, "in order", to the rolls)?
Obviously the rest of the stuff needs to change, but I didn't want to move further in chargen without consulting you. Plus that 18 makes eyebrows raise, so I'd understand if you needed me to reroll. :)
--Ron--

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Blackrazor »

I am so glad to see the excitement over this game. We even picked up our 4th player. Ogre Mage is joining the crew.

I have yet get the threads up, explain character generation, house rules and background, so if we could hold off until I have posted what's up and all of you have reviewed and offered your input that would be great.

Rredmond, I have no interest in punishing you at all for being excited, so your character is cool and your 18 is indeed in Psychic.

So star travelers, please be patient as your local starlord, puts on his headphones, inserts his mix tape, and slowly gets to work on getting the game going.

:)

Return to “Looking for players or games”