Now What?

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Now What?

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hey folks!

With another completed game in the books, and a couple more weeks of down time on hand to prep for something new, I was thinking about running another fan-favorite published AD&D adventure.

I have a shelf filled with most of the classics, but can’t decide on which adventure to go with. Does anyone out there have a suggestion they think would work well in the PbP format? Or have something you’ve always wanted to play through, but never had the chance?

I might even be willing to run one of the legendary series, if there was enough interest.

So, anyone looking to find some Lost Caverns, Forgotten Temples, Spider Queens, Tombs of Horror, Hidden Shrines, All Kinds of Giants, Raving Vampires, Ghost Towers, etc., etc., etc.? :mrgreen:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Now What?

#2 Post by Spearmint »

I tried Castle Amber a few years ago but it was at a time I was ill and also using local council or work wifi which restricted access to US gaming sites so that stalled it. The folk didn't get too far so no surprises were discovered.

How about that one!?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ravenn4544 »

I'd be up for a dungeon crawl kind of thing if that suits. I don't mean Tomb of Horrors tho :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

Any of those Con or Competition modules always work well for PbP as there is a defined goal and they aren't too long. Dungeon Crawls work for PbP due to the exact opposite reason!
Anything you run will be awesome and I am SO glad you are feeling the gaming mojo! :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Stirling »

Castle Amber. I remember that, you had a really crazy butler. I think raven was in that too and a few other regular players. That starts at mid level.

Saltmarsh. Okay, my character didn't last so long in the one you ran but I think none of those players involved are still present anymore, hedgeknight aside, so you could rerun that. Starts at 1st level.

Slavers I took over a character in one game ran here by rredmond, Giants series too. That one ended abruptly. There would be a few keen to revive either or those.

.Pharaoh series? Never played in.

I think the ToEE and Lizard King are incorporated into other current run games.

Sorry long post. Yes for interest in 1st ed D&D.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

I remember playing saltmarsh (Ben the sailor I think). I think that ended in a TPK as I recall? :) Castle Amber I don't know anything about but open to whatever.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

I am in no matter what you choose.

My pick involves a little more work for you, B1. Lots of options since you stock the dungeon and you can even use Dyson’s reorganized maps if you wanted. It was the first game I ever played way back in 1979 and have never played it again. I have run it 4 or 5 times and it is always different and everyone always has a fun time.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sastaz »

I'm in anywhichways :) Amber sounds great! From off the top of my head, stuff that I would like to play and that might work with pbp:

Rahasia
The DA-series (Blackmoor, Temple of the Froggo, City of Gods)
The "Gold box" games - Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure bonds etcetera

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by spanningtree »

sastaz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:31 pm The "Gold box" games - Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure bonds etcetera
+1 Epic!
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#10 Post by Scott308 »

ravenn4544 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:03 pm I remember playing saltmarsh (Ben the sailor I think). I think that ended in a TPK as I recall? :) Castle Amber I don't know anything about but open to whatever.
We definitely got TPK'd in Saltmarsh. I was in the Castle Amber game that started, I'd be up for that. Pharaoh, Rahasia. EX1 and 2 could be a riot! Caverns of Thracia (Judge's Guild) for a non-TSR adventure.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sulldawga »

If you've got room, I'd be interested in joining.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by shaidar »

I'm certainly interested!

Although it sorta depends on what you run, as a few of the modules I've played through.

EDIT: I've definitely done Castle Amber, White Plume Mountain, Ghost Tower of Inverness.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by hedgeknight »

Doesn't matter what you do, I'm interested. ;)
I would be up for Destiny of Kings, The Curse of Xanathon, or an early adventure from Dungeon or Dragon magazine.
Winter is coming...

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Jernau35 »

I'd like to join, but I've played or own quite a few so it would depend on the final choice.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by gurusql »

While I do own some modules, I have played is a remarkable few. If you have the space I would be open for just about any.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Stirling wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:40 pmI think the ToEE and Lizard King are incorporated into other current run games.
To this...

At least when it comes to ToEE, I would have zero objection to another DM electing to run it at the same time.

The game I'm preparing (which, at its core, will be just T1 to start) will be extremely customized, to the point of being rewritten. Every location and every NPC in my version of T1 will be completely custom so the chance of there being any overlap will be next to nil.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Some really great suggestions so far!

Avoiding concepts that are already in the works is a great idea, so I am definitely not looking to add another mega-dungeon style game to the list.

Sounds like X2 has the nods, but as I suspected might happen, your ideas have triggered one of my own. Those of you who have played in my games before know I’m always experimenting with new concepts or ideas, trying to make positive tweaks wherever possible.

In my mind, I don’t see why we couldn’t play through several of the classics in progression, even using the same surviving characters to level up after each successful adventure before advancing to the next.

In which case, it only makes sense for characters to start out at 1st level. (that will limit which adventure we begin with) As we play through the current adventure, discussion can proceed as to which higher level adventure we should follow up with, allowing me enough time to knit one concept to the next, if/whenever necessary.

To offset the slower pace of PbP, this will likely require a serious boost to XP rewards, so I will probably be doubling or even tripling earned XP, attempting to keep the characters more closely matched to the difficulty level of the next upcoming adventure. So, players who enjoy quick progression games should dig this one.

Using the aforementioned Saltmarsh TPK, and our recently foiled Assassins Knot game as indicators, I think I would prefer to start with something less dependent on successful team investigations in favor of some good old-school, fly by the seat of your pants, character driven action instead.

………

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:19 pm I am in no matter what you choose.

My pick involves a little more work for you, B1. Lots of options since you stock the dungeon and you can even use Dyson’s reorganized maps if you wanted. It was the first game I ever played way back in 1979 and have never played it again. I have run it 4 or 5 times and it is always different and everyone always has a fun time.
This suggestion actually reminded me of a module I forgot I owned. One that I feel was well laid out and more importantly, would require much less prep work on my end, as I have run it once before. It wouldn’t be the original version of course, but still fits perfectly in the criteria of starter level.

Have you ever seen this one?
IMG_1872.jpeg
IMG_1872.jpeg (112.87 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Before anyone goes off about how they’ve already played B2 or DM’d it 100 times, I can assure you this is NOT your older brothers Keep on the Borderlands. Though the castle layout and surrounding wilderness area may seem familiar, the encounters are all completely new and original, this story happening a quarter century after the original.

Plus, you get to discover what’s happened in the Borderlands over the past 20 some years. And if you really pay attention, you might even learn some fabled history of the infamous Keep that has produced so many novice adventurers over the years.

With the XP surge idea in mind, I would expect the average level to be around 3rd by the time we’ve fully explored the Borderlands and are ready to move on to the next classic adventure.

Anyone who’s never played the original before would still get to bask in all the classic nostalgic goodness, while more familiar players will still enjoy the challenges of a brand new adventure, with the same feel and flavor of the classic scenario you (may have) played as a kid. (If you are familiar with this 25th Anniversary adventure, but still want to build up a character to play in future offerings, just let me know. It will be easy for me to modify encounters enough to keep you on your toes and having fun as well.)

Another nice thing about this particular offering is that we could easily split up into multiple groups if we get enough interest. I like to keep the action moving in my games, usually posting updates 2 or 3 times a week, depending on the promptness of the players. (less active on some weekends)

So…….anyone up for a 1E Return To That Infamous Borderlands Keep?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by shaidar »

Sure! :)

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by sastaz »

Absolutely! Also, being Swede who was born i late 70s I never got to grow up with Keep or Search, so it's all new for me as a player :)

Count me in.

Return to “Looking for players or games”