X Minus One (science fiction/GW)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

X Minus One (science fiction/GW)

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

X Minus One, an anthology science fiction (SF) campaign that could be many things - an exploration of inner and outer space, a pulp fiction satire, a space opera, a retro-future science fiction tale. The game is inspired by classic SF literature, themes and art, and their modern book and media descendants.

Players will start singly or in pairs in their initial story-line and setting, intertwining to eventually come together as a party. The game is character-driven, role playing is encouraged, and plots will emerge. It is not a dungeon or hex crawl in a different environment. Players can let me know if they have a preferred SF setting in which to start (e.g. dystopian, utopian, past-current-near-or-far future earth, alien world, asteroid, ringworld, spaceship, AI, whatever...) and I can weave it into the overall campaign.

Character races are wide open, from human to mutant to alien to robot, as are professions. Characters can be heroic or an everyman; regardless of who, something will happen and they’ll be on their way to adventure. Races or profession may drive the world choice or plot.

The rule set (I'm into story more than rules) is Gamma World 2e, because it's rules-light and close enough to AD&D 1e that anyone can get it. The game is not post-apocalyptic (though there could be such a setting among the others.) Knowledge of rules isn't necessary per se; I can share relevant charts or pages if one would like.

I have some players, but given the nature of the campaign can take more. The game is open ended by design, driven by player preference, not limited by a mechanic or predetermined setting, and will by story evolve organically into a "party" from the solo and duo beginnings. Those who played in or know of my Call of Cthulhu campaign will recognize the approach.

Where is Your Story?

A Ringworld

A Floating City

A Dying Planet

Starship

Dystopian City Planet

Robot World

A Generation Ship

Our Earth of today?

Or a setting from your favorite science fiction stories - Arrakis, Majipoor, Trantor, Pern, Caprica, Coruscant, Mongo, Gallifrey, Barsoom, Thanagar, Cybertron, Annares, or others?
Last edited by Grognardsw on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: X Minus One (science fiction/GW)

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm interested. :)

A floating city sounds fun. Pern was a great series of books and a setting I'd not mind. Though I am not really opposed to earth past, future, alternate reality. :D

Personally not a big fan of playing a mutant vague familiarity with GW 2e I'd prefer to be human, alien or cyborg grated I've only seen Robot mentioned wasn't sure if Cyborg was in there too.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Starbeard »

Definitely interested.

I picture a standard 50s television father, a Prince Albert in a pipe man who changes out of his suit into his loafers and cardigan when he comes home from work, but probably leaves his tie on. Whether he's actually from the 50s or from a retro-future, I'm not sure yet, but he has a robot daughter, or wife, or nanny, and something entirely beyond the realm of mortal knowledge and experience befalls him.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I am interested. Any world works for me but Pern sounds cool as does Barsoom. I could run a mutant, human or alien. Doesn't really matter what, I prefer to have a bit of an idea about the world first then pick a character type.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by DexterWard »

I'm in.

Human, minor Cyborg implants possibly.

Anything space, science fiction, opera-esc, asteroid, starship, dying planet, robot world, near-or-far future earth, alien world, floating city...

If it's outer space, pulp fiction, space opera, science fiction I'm in!

Always excited about rules-light character-driven roleplaying.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Grognardsw wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:12 am The rule set (I'm into story more than rules) is Gamma World 2e, because it's rules-light and close enough to AD&D 1e that anyone can get it.
Okay that bit (emphasis mine) as a mainly 1e person, made me laugh. :)
Great recruitment post, I cant play, but man I’m going to lurk the heck out of this game. Sounds amazing!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Mant72 »

I’m in! Gorum, the plant-gibbon mutant, will continue to search the Ill Earth and beyond for answers. 👍

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Urson »

I'm already at max for games, but I'll definitely be lurking!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

I'm already maxed out, but that recruitment sets a high standard!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

Starbeard, I like idea of an everyman character (a genre mainstay) and have just the thing for that.

Greywolf and Rex we can certainly explore Pern. I read the the original trilogy back in the day and have First Fall (the origin story I think) on my shelf as yet unread. I remember fondly those Michael Whelan covers.

We can discuss characters more when the forum gets up. There are several more players. Other folks are welcome. The anthology nature of the game scales to a large number. While there is a long-arc plot bringing everyone together, there are short story arcs for those with less time investment.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Last time I was in a Gamma World game I ran a human that was a sort of Clint Eastwood type of cowboyish survivor. Now that I think of it he really would be like Clint Eastwood in most of his westerns mixed with Daryl from TWD. Yes was thinking cyborg implant as Dexter said in his reply.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by DexterWard »

Sweet!!!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I'll give it a try if there are still spaces?

Lightwielder
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by Lightwielder »

Still any room for one more?
Dynamos Character Sheet

Lightwielder
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by Lightwielder »

Still any room for one more?
Dynamos Character Sheet

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Grognardsw »

Hi Lightwielder, welcome to Unseen Servant!

I think you can join, starting in a week or two. We can discuss options and character via PM.

Thanks!

Return to “Looking for players or games”