[Recruiting] for Bushido Valley of the Mists (FGU)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[Recruiting] for Bushido Valley of the Mists (FGU)

#1 Post by ffilz »

I've long been interested in trying to run a samurai/ninja game, and really enjoying Starbeard's Legends of the 5 Rings game, and seeing Bushido PDF is available for $10 on DrivethruRPG (or $18 in print from https://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/product/bushido/ ) I thought I'd give it a try and see who might be interested.

EDIT: I will be using the module, Valley of the Mists to start things off. I like to run sandbox games, so if the players actions take us off course from the module, that will be fine, but it gives us something to hook into to get things started.

Note that I am NOT someone who has immersed themselves in samurai/ninja books, movies, and TV though I have had some exposure, some through "inspired by" fantasy fiction. I also run pretty old school games and this is why I've chosen Bushido (as pretty much the first such themed game - shame on me for NOT picking up the Tyr Gamemakers version all those years ago). Of course these days there are tons of resources for other games that can be drawn on for inspiration.

So if this sort of game interests you, and you can live with a GM who will get things way wrong but is willing to learn, come join me in this exploration of another early gem of an RPG.

I am now ready to start collecting sincere interest and will open a sub-forum as soon as it makes sense to get chargen going and such. If it's just a small number of players, I think we can make it work (it may just mean recruiting NPC help).

Frank
Last edited by ffilz on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Polling for interest in Bushido (FGU)

#2 Post by NJWilliam »

ffilz wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:59 pm Bushido . . . So if this sort of game interests you, and you can live with a GM who will get things way wrong but is willing to learn, come join me in this exploration of another early gem of an RPG.
Always wanted to give Bushido a try. Count me in.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by jemmus »

I've owned the Bushido rulebooks since the late 1980s(!), but never managed to play a game. (A veteran RPGer I met who had played it described it as "bloody." Not sure what he meant by that). Anyway, would love to play. BTW, the Sengoku RPG has a lot of great background information about the samurai age. It was written by Anthony Bryant, who's a professor of samurai history
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

Yes Sengoku has a really nice background section. I found it’s a bargain on DrivethruRPG $5.99 bundle. I’ve also been reading GURPS Japan.

If we can get another player or two we should be able to start up though it could also be quite workable with two dedicated players.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I feel I may be in over my head with the games I am in but I am interested. I may need to bow out if it becomes too much of a commitment.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

Samwell Turleton wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:10 pm I feel I may be in over my head with the games I am in but I am interested. I may need to bow out if it becomes too much of a commitment.
Since this is very much an experiment I’m ok with players starting up and bowing out if it doesn’t work for them.

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by ffilz »

Let's give this a few more days and see if we get any more interest.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [Recruiting] for Bushido (FGU)

#8 Post by ffilz »

I'm going to work up a more solid pitch over the weekend so hopefully we can launch next week.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Recruiting] for Bushido (FGU)

#9 Post by jemmus »

Sounds good, looking forward to it. Been re-reading the Bushido rules, I'd forgotten how detailed and tactical the combat is.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [Recruiting] for Bushido Valley of the Mists (FGU)

#10 Post by ffilz »

I edited the original post to give a bit more of a pitch and to make it clear, we're now actively recruiting with an intent to start ASAP.

Samwell Turleton
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Samwell Turleton »

I am still interested in the game and looking forward to it!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ffilz »

we have a forum all the way at the bottom of the games list viewforum.php?f=1013 and some threads, let's get started.

Does everyone have a copy of the rules?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by jemmus »

Yes, I've got the rules. Working on my character now, hope to be ready very soon.
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Faanku »

If you're happy with a complete newbie to the rules, I'd be up for giving it a shot.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ffilz »

Faanku wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:16 am If you're happy with a complete newbie to the rules, I'd be up for giving it a shot.
Grab yourself a copy of the rules and come on in. I'm a complete newbie myself...

Return to “Looking for players or games”