AS&SH 2E [LFP]

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

AS&SH 2E [LFP]

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

We lost a few players in this game so I am opening this back up to anyone interested in jumping in. You can take up one of the abandoned characters, or create your own.

*Pawns of the North Wind*

Hyperborea is a strange and wondrous land, filled with dangerous monsters, mystical treasures, and bizarre phenomenon sure to pique the interest of any brave souls looking for adventure. A large, flat land mass existing beyond the reaches of the known worlds, its many secrets and immeasurable horrors await any foolish enough to explore them.
The attachment 59598507-35A4-4749-9B65-369308CF8553.jpeg is no longer available
Oft compared to some of the best old-school systems in gaming, Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea is a gritty Role-Playing experience, tainted with succulent flavors of such great writers as Howard, Lovecraft, and Smith. Though not for the faint of heart, it’s pulpy claws are sure to scratch that unreachable itch of the most seasoned player.
The attachment 9E52900A-F66B-49C2-B932-78A8158C29C1.jpeg is no longer available

This game will start out in a fitting locale, (considering our planets current situation) in the largest walled city of the Zangerios Islands cluster, Port Zangerios. Better known to the locals as…. The City of Masks. The adventure itself will begin as an island-hopping exploratory mission, sailing upon the River Okeanos in the Hyperborean Sea, but will eventually lead the players back to the many oddities and extreme challenges of mainland Hyperborea.
59598507-35A4-4749-9B65-369308CF8553.jpeg
59598507-35A4-4749-9B65-369308CF8553.jpeg (893.5 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Things you should know…..

This game will have a posting rate of 2 character actions per week, though I can post more often if the situation calls for it. No weekend posting will be required. Though not technically a “sandbox”, I would classify this as an “open world” style adventure. Let’s just say I have enough material in mind to keep the cautious/crafty/fortunate PC around through several levels of experience.
9E52900A-F66B-49C2-B932-78A8158C29C1.jpeg
9E52900A-F66B-49C2-B932-78A8158C29C1.jpeg (653.28 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
I am not a professional writer by any stretch of the imagination, and barely comprehend the common tongue, so my games are not exactly what I would consider flashy. My computer skills are rather limited. I use photos of hand drawn maps and position markers for combat. I do offer pictures of monsters and locations to set the mood, but a good imagination is definitely helpful in my games. I try to make up for my lack of flash with good, solid game content.
53B75181-ED96-472B-BA0E-B3F95BCC44E5.jpeg
53B75181-ED96-472B-BA0E-B3F95BCC44E5.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1311 times
I own the 2E hardcover rule book, but I don’t have access to any of the PDF resources to share with players, so you will need to have a copy of the AS&SH 2E rules in some form, at least for the character creation stage.
04CFC1FA-82E8-4EA9-B0B3-E94908F8F27C.jpeg
04CFC1FA-82E8-4EA9-B0B3-E94908F8F27C.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1311 times
As for die rolls, you will make all your own characters rolls and must link them in your posts. For a number of reasons, I don’t include my rolls in the referee updates.  I play from my phone or tablet most of the time, which can make organizing large, intricate posts difficult. I prefer the descriptive posts to read more like a story, not some garbled up mess of links. In fact, when I'm at home, sometimes I get crazy and actually roll real dice. It's hard to link those rolls. If that is a deal breaker for you, I totally understand.
9ECB95E5-87F1-4668-A0B0-B4FA12D3EB73.jpeg
9ECB95E5-87F1-4668-A0B0-B4FA12D3EB73.jpeg (793.11 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

Since we already have 8 players who’ve shown interest, once I get conformation from each of them, I will likely begin a wait list for anyone else who wants in and doesn’t mind holding out for a future spot. AS&SH can be just as deadly as the earlier systems, so I expect some PC turnaround initially. If we get an abundance of interest, I might run two separate groups simultaneously.
9D36B9DA-5013-475C-9D39-B723D6251C55.jpeg
9D36B9DA-5013-475C-9D39-B723D6251C55.jpeg (684.56 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
For those of you who have already expressed interest and still want to play after reading all that..... if you’d like to start thinking about a character concept, please do. You will be allowed to create any character class you wish, and from any race, since Zangerios is full of a variety of scum arriving often from throughout the many inhabited regions of Hyperborea. But please keep in mind that a few of the listed classes won’t necessarily fit well into every scenario presented. (I’m looking at you Cataphract in the dungeon)  :mrgreen:
935982D5-05B3-41FB-96ED-E14B46287D48.jpeg
935982D5-05B3-41FB-96ED-E14B46287D48.jpeg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1311 times
One piece of background that will be required from each character is how you have come to find yourself in the overcrowded city of Port Zangerios. You don’t necessarily need to be from the islands, you can be from anywhere, but you must have a reason to be there now, and some explanation of how you arrived. Any locals will need to detail how their masks look, while outsiders, though still required to follow the eccentric tradition of face covering while in the city, are normally given plain looking, common face masks to indicate their status as foreigners. (please feel free to get as creative as you like with these)

Waitlist:
Radrabbit
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: AS&SH 2E [Confirmation/Waitlist]

#2 Post by shaidar »

Hi

I'm definitely still interested. Can I use the character I created for a previous game that never got off the ground, a Death Soldier? He will need a slight tweak, as we were starting at 2nd level, and a small change to his background could easily provide a reason for him being in the islands. I can PM you a link to the character sheet if you like?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jeez, give me a second man. :lol:

PM it to me, I’ll take a look. :D

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by NJWilliam »

Confirming!
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Howman
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by Howman »

I'm 100% still interested!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Yup. No clue on character. Guess I better get to reading.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

I am still interested for sure. No clue yet on character, will have some time late tonight to start working on it.

Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Old Duergar »

Confirming interest, thank you for a great pitch post, Ogre Mage.

I was thinking about a Pyromancer, character-wise, if that's OK with everyone. And if the dice will it.

EDIT: settled on a Cryomancer.
Last edited by Old Duergar on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by NJWilliam »

If possible, runegraver is definitely on my short list for class choice.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Howman
Runner
Runner

#10 Post by Howman »

I'm thinking about a ranger or berserker, depending on how my rolls go.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I’m digging the class ideas......and the enthusiasm!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Rolling method? Is the attribute adjustment in use? I am leaning towards a Pict Scout but we will see what the dice say.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The game has been created and the six of you who have confirmed are already added.

Post any questions in the CC thread. Thanks!

viewforum.php?f=992

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Quonundrum »

I was considering if I'd have time for another game as my work load drastically increased recently. Thought I'd give the old roller a spin to see what character ideas came to mind, though.

:shock:

Well ... with those stats it would be a crime to waste them. Go ahead and pencil me in!

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Radrabbit »

More than happy to hop onto the wait list
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I see what you did there. :D

Hop on in Radrabbit. I will add you to the list.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

I'm in.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 pmI'm in.
You are added.

And I see that the private threads are already set up as well, miraculously. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: AS&SH 2E [LFP]

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

We had a couple of last minute cancellations, so I will bump this up to see if we can find another player or two.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: AS&SH 2E [LFP]

#20 Post by Bluetongue »

If you can forgive me for passing out of Shiny Island for a year in Australia, I can commit to your posting schedule and anticipating acceptance into the Astonishing World;

I rolled this and 'ayed'. My idea is a female Esquemaux skald/rogue travelling the regions scripting lore and legend and turning heroic adventures into triumphal anthems, bawdy saloon saga singalongs and tragic poetry in exchange for dragons blood, whale meat and rubbing more than noses on a warm warg pelt.

Stats: STR:13, INT:8, WIS:17, CON:10, DEX:17, CHR:15

Return to “Looking for players or games”