[Interest Check] SWN Revised

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Interest Check] SWN Revised

#1 Post by sulldawga »

If I were to run a Stars Without Number game, who might be interested?

The game concept would be your party are high ranking operatives of something... a Corporation or a House, you guys can choose. There's an interstellar war going on and your home polity has authorized you to become a privateer with an old-fashioned Letter of Marque.

Your bosses see this war as a good thing. Chaos breeds opportunity. They've assigned you a Corvette at your command. The bad news is that A. you need to make money or your bosses will find someone else to do the job and B. the enemy has ships bigger than Corvettes.

So you guys can explore, adventure, loot wrecks, trade in exotic cargoes, and/or prey on enemy shipping and smaller warships.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

Re: [Interest Check] SWN Revised

#3 Post by Wyzard »

Character level etc.?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sulldawga »

Wyzard wrote:Character level etc.?
I'm usually a "start at 1st level and I'll accelerate the XP for PbP purposes" guy but I think you have to demonstrate a basic level of competency before your employer entrusts a Corvette to your care.

So I'm going to say 3rd level.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote:Sup.
Hello Commander.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Mister-Kent »

Always interested in SWN!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Verenes Aoene
Squire
Squire

#7 Post by Verenes Aoene »

Hey, would you be allowing AIs? If not, psychics? Also, what kind of alignment should the party have? I’m guessing neutral, maybe evil since we’re basically legal pirates.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Verenes Aoene!
Love when new games bring new folks!
—Ron—
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by sulldawga »

Verenes Aoene wrote:Hey, would you be allowing AIs? If not, psychics? Also, what kind of alignment should the party have? I’m guessing neutral, maybe evil since we’re basically legal pirates.
I don't know if I'll allow AI PCs at this point. It depends on the players I choose for the game.

Psychics will be allowed.

Alignment isn't a concept in SWN.

Also, the PCs are businessmen, more or less, not pirates. The primary objective is to earn credits, so your bosses don't take their ship back. It's not about being evil. If you're looking for that sort of game, you've come to the wrong place.

Verenes Aoene
Squire
Squire

#10 Post by Verenes Aoene »

sulldawga wrote:
Verenes Aoene wrote:Hey, would you be allowing AIs? If not, psychics? Also, what kind of alignment should the party have? I’m guessing neutral, maybe evil since we’re basically legal pirates.
I don't know if I'll allow AI PCs at this point. It depends on the players I choose for the game.

Psychics will be allowed.

Alignment isn't a concept in SWN.

Also, the PCs are businessmen, more or less, not pirates. The primary objective is to earn credits, so your bosses don't take their ship back. It's not about being evil. If you're looking for that sort of game, you've come to the wrong place.
I thought we had a Letter of Marque? Am I misunderstanding Letters or is that just not the focus?

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Wyzard »

I'm not sure which way I'll go regarding a character. My general inclination is Psychic or AI, but mostly I want to have a party that fills the slots for Battle Stations.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sulldawga »

Verenes Aoene wrote:I thought we had a Letter of Marque? Am I misunderstanding Letters or is that just not the focus?
There's a difference between pirates and privateers.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Wyzard »

sulldawga wrote:
Verenes Aoene wrote:I thought we had a Letter of Marque? Am I misunderstanding Letters or is that just not the focus?
There's a difference between pirates and privateers.
What's the space-borne equivalent of maritime law? Do we need to have someone with that skill?

:ugeek:

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sulldawga »

Wyzard wrote:What's the space-borne equivalent of maritime law? Do we need to have someone with that skill?

:ugeek:
I'd allow questions of that nature to be answered (on a successful skill check) by anyone with the Administer skill. Maybe Trade at a -1.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote:I'm going to need a day or two to read over the new rules and figure out what I want to do, class-wise.
There's lots of time here. No rush.

Just to be transparent, this game is not a first-come, first-served situation when choosing players but I always leave slots for folks who have run games in which I've played, and both thirdkingdom and Wyzard fit that profile.

Of course, we only have interest from four players so beggars can't always be choosers! Like Wyz said, I'd like to get to five so we can have one player for each of the ship departments.

Verenes Aoene
Squire
Squire

#17 Post by Verenes Aoene »

So, shall I make my char now, or just wait until we have more players or have gotten it more solidified in general?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by sulldawga »

Verenes Aoene wrote:So, shall I make my char now, or just wait until we have more players or have gotten it more solidified in general?
I haven't chosen any players for the game except Wyzard and thirdkingdom.

Verenes Aoene
Squire
Squire

#19 Post by Verenes Aoene »

sulldawga wrote:
Verenes Aoene wrote:So, shall I make my char now, or just wait until we have more players or have gotten it more solidified in general?
I haven't chosen any players for the game except Wyzard and thirdkingdom.
Oh right, sorry, I’ll cool my jets. I’d like to play a AI or a psychic if you pick me, if not that’s also fine.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by sulldawga »

Verenes Aoene wrote:Oh right, sorry, I’ll cool my jets. I’d like to play a AI or a psychic if you pick me, if not that’s also fine.
Do you have any examples of PbP games you've been in? I know the other three guys in this thread but I'm unfamiliar with you.

And I want people who are excited about the game. I just want to make sure we're on the same page with the whole concept of "privateer vs evil pirates". You guys aren't space paladins or the like but we're not selling anyone into slavery here, if you know what I mean.

Return to “Looking for players or games”