Torchbearer Game

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Torchbearer Game

#21 Post by Marullus »

You're actually attracting back 2-3 of the players from the former game. :) I recommend taking a look at the structure/play there, as it contains some good lessons for adapting Torchbearer to the Play-by-Post format.
No Country for Deadbeat Adventurers (Torchbearer)

Torchbearer is more firmly structured than other games, relying on a strict "turn progression" to drive things forward. That actually works better in PbP. His house rules set an arbitrary number of turns in a session (he picked 13) after which session rewards were handled. You can make this shorter, longer, or the same, but setting a threshold seems wise.

His House Rules and forum-formatted character sheets are worth stealing, imho.

The Denizens of the Dark pdf for fun Halloween-ish player classes didn't attach before. Added now - it was distributed free by the game authors. Those could be fun, but a very different flavor. :)
Attachments
Torchbearer_Sagas_Denizens_of_the_Dark.pdf
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Faolan7 »

Thanks Marullus! I'll definitely take a look at that other campaign, and thank you for the cool PDFs! Hopefully I don't disappoint those who played in the last game. The game I'm going to run will, hopefully, get better over time.

The Denizens of the Dark is definitely a different flavor, but if you want to, you could play a class from it. I don't plan on using too many restrictions.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I haven't been on the BW site in a long time, apparently. And reading through those classes makes me realize how much I have forgotten about the rules for TB. I am looking forward relearning!

The witch is fantastic and could probably be added to an average adventuring party. It would be great fun to bring one of the three witches from the Discworld to life.

If the chance ever came up to play one, I would love to play a goblin shaman. It is a character I have wanted to play since high school.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#24 Post by Faolan7 »

A goblin shaman would be cool. It might be kind of difficult to role-play in towns, seeing as you would be a goblin. You could disguise yourself as a halfling or something of the sort though. You're free to play one if you want to.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by coil23 »

How do I find out about the goblin shaman? That sounds intriguing. I can already think of a potential workaround while in town. (assuming that character class is not available in main rulebook)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

Goblin Shaman is in the Denizens of the Dark book that I attached above. If we're going with the creepy party, I was intrigued by the Dhampir Hunter. If we're going more streamlined, then reprising the Paladin would be fun, or trying out one of the spellcasters. I liked the Witch, except need to revisit the utility of town vs adventure. Can they do enough while on the quest?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The goblin shaman would really need to be part of a specific party, I think. Certainly wouldn't work in most parties.

Re: the witch, I can see the ability to store spells in items and having a familiar as useful. Be sure to add a few of those mundane skills like peasant, tailor, cooking, etc. Those mundane skills are so essential in TB!

If I hadn't rewritten Clay for your sandbox, I would love to reprise him. But he is already living again, so I am happy to do something new.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#28 Post by Faolan7 »

@Rusty Tincanne
The goblin shaman definitely wouldn't be able to fit into a general party, but I'm sure you guys could come up with something if you're dead-set on playing one. A party of outcasts, perhaps?

@Marullus
Thank you for linking to your guys' old Torchbearer game! I will definitely be using some, if not most, of those mechanics.

As for my game, I think I'm going to set the 10th of October as the last day to post interest, seeing as we have the minimum, and I don't want those who are interested to drop off. That'll give this game two weeks in total to find players.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Is there a way to link excel sheets to this forum? A member on the burning wheel forum posted a character sheet in excel form that is supposed to be pretty good.

I am not set on playing a goblin at this time. I think a standard adventuring party wiuld be easiest.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#30 Post by Faolan7 »

I know you can include attachments in your posts. Marullus has done it twice here, or you could include a link.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I keep thinking about an idea I had a while back about a crusade-store adventure. All clerics or clerics and paladins. Would that interest you all our souls it sit on the sheriff longer?

We'd be able to create a varied set of clerics: warrior, healer, scholar, preacher/orator. We'd be missing archers, but iirc, that wasn't such a big deal in TB because of the mechanics of combat. And in the town phase we'd likely have a boost for recovery and lower resource costs. Thoughts?

I am happy to go with a standard averting party too.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

I'd happily play that. I'm unsure the impact it would have on torchbearer, though, which seems to punish lack-of-variety.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#33 Post by Faolan7 »

Not including tonight, since it's so late, there are three days left to post interest!

As for those who already posted interest, could you check in so I know you are still wanting to do this? A simple "I'm here" would suffice.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah I think you'd likely encounter some trouble in lacking key skills in the adventure phase if you went with a really narrow class selection. I think you could limit to three classes with five or more PCs but a smaller group of narrower range and you will find yourself up a creek eventually.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by Faolan7 »

Today's the last day to post interest!

@Keehnelf
Are you interested in playing, or are you just adding your two cents to the Rusty's idea?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

I am interested. Though, with fair warning, my time might shift as I move to a new work position soon. I think twice a week should be doable.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm at my capacity--just adding my two bits on the idea as an outside party invested in your long-term success :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Keehnelf ran a stellar TB game here as well. Well worth reading through!

I am still interested. :)

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#39 Post by Faolan7 »

@Marullus
I'll ask you post at least once a week, unless you mention you won't be able to. If you don't post anything for a 4 to 5 weeks, I'll assume you've dropped out and continue without you. This applies to everyone, I just thought I'd bring it up now. If you do come back and are still interested, you would be more than welcome to hop back in.

@Keehnelf
Ah. Okay. Have fun in your other games, and thanks for the advice! (Not that I need it, but it's always nice to get some).

@Rusty Tincanne
I'll definitely have a look at it. I still need to read through the actual game of the one you and Marullus were in though. I've been busy.

To the players, I'll send the game request tonight, hopefully. Unless I'm missing someone, we have three players: Marullus, Rusty Tincanne, and coil23

Return to “Looking for players or games”