Traveller - Interest Check

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Traveller - Interest Check

#1 Post by Eris »

Hi folks. I am wondering if anyone else would like to play some Traveller here?

I was looking for a PBP Traveller game on Google the other day and this site came up. Unfortunately, that game appears to have ended a while back.

I'd actually like to play, but if no one else steps up to run it, I'll do it.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Traveller - Interest Check

#2 Post by Keehnelf »

There was some good interest--I just ran afoul of an overly ambitious gaming schedule and couldn't keep it together, unfortunately. :(

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Nuke66 »

We could never seem to get much past the Char Gen on PbP, but I'd be willing to give it another go. It was my first experience in RPing after all.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Eris »

Keehnelf wrote:There was some good interest--I just ran afoul of an overly ambitious gaming schedule and couldn't keep it together, unfortunately. :(
Yeah, it can be hard to keep games going, I'm well aware of that.

I noticed you had something like 10 PC's too. It's really hard to juggle that many at one time. I think 3 to 5 with an NPC or two is a much better cast for Traveller.

For a ship crew: 1 or 2 on the Bridge (Pilot, Nav, Sensors, Comms, Computer); 1 Engineer (Engineer, Mechanical, Gravitics, Electronics, Boat); 1 or 2 Pursers (Trader, Medic, Liaison, Steetwise, Gunnery); and have an NPC Engineer or Bridge guy to stand watches while the PC's have off ship adventures.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Keehnelf »

As i say, overly ambitious...

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:We could never seem to get much past the Char Gen on PbP, but I'd be willing to give it another go. It was my first experience in RPing after all.
Okay, that's you and me! Another couple of folks would be enough to get something going. :)

If I Referee the game, I won't even attempt to really roll out Char Gen...that would take for ever. Players can, of course, roll up their own PC using CT rules, subject to Ref's approval. Or, if the player doesn't have CT or doesn't care for all the randomness of it we could do Char Gen pretty simply.

To play Traveller you need the six Characteristics (roll 2d6 each for these), pick your former career (Army, Navy, Marines, Scouts, Merchants, Other) and pick the number of terms you were in it (min 1 to max 5).

Skills and Mustering Out Benefits can be handled...um...more flexibly. A technique I've used in the past is 1 Skill Level per term + 1d6 Levels, then I'd roll 1 per term on the Mustering Out Tables.

I'd use a Classic Traveller setting where lots of info is already online. Spinward Marches just after the 5th Frontier War, weak Imperium (central government), right on the frontiers.

I'd also use some variation of the 68A Task Resolution system: roll 2d6 + (Char/5 or Skill Level) >= 6 for easy, 8 for normal, 10 for difficult (4 is very easy, 12+ is even more difficult).

Hum, it seems like I'm talking myself into running this.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Eris »

Well, it's been a couple of weeks and no one wants to step forward to run a Traveller game here, and...by golly...I still want to play some Traveller. So, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and volunteer to Ref one myself. :)

We did have a couple of people express an interest in playing, and a couple of people could get us started. However, I want commitments from a couple of people saying "yes, I want to play" in my game before I ask the Admin here to set up a Campaign Forum. We'll see if we can get there from here...

I'll be posting a new topic to recruit players for /Spinward Main/ shortly.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Looking for players or games”