Action Thread 12

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 12

#41 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till agrees with a hot breakfast.

OOC: I believe Bruard searched the insides of the buildings, Mitch. I don't know if we specified that he was scanning the guard towers or the inside of the exterior wall.

Till is also fine with Yosef spending his time today trying to figure out the ring. By the end of the day, though, it should be doled out to someone - whoever has first dibs (Derek then Jeloon) first, then whoever is willing to try it on. :)

Agreed! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#42 Post by Vokarius »

"A hot breakfast would be great. No spider meat please."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#43 Post by Alethan »

Till pauses at Derek's request.

"Is there anything to cook up on a spider, anyway?" Then he shudders at the thought. "I think you're safe, Derek. No spider on the menu this morning. How about some smoked snake? I think we have some of that left still..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#44 Post by ToniXX »

Argennian wrote:The elf then looks to the cleric. "Friend Bruard, do you have anymore curative spells remaining before you rest and pray to mighty Shinare? We are almost all of us injured to some extent, even yourself!"
Bruard replies: Yes, I have three left. Yes, I could cast one on each of our fighters, unless you had other plans.
I'm going back in time a little here... before the night. Let me know if this is a problem.

fast forwarding:In the morning, Bruard will cast detect magic on the yet unknown items
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by rredmond »

Day 16 – 6:00a

Heydee all, just wanted to catch up the game, considering you're spending the day, there's lots more that can be done.
Questions awaiting answers:

There were no fires visible last night from the tower.

Everyone gets one HP back for the night, not including CLW rolls from Bruard. :) I noted below. I also updated spells, realizing that Bruard still has those CLW spells left.

Bruard did check the whole compound with his helm.

What are the items that Bruard is casting Detect Magic on? Other than the shield?

Let’s say that the dwarven cleric did have a scroll. Thus you can have an extra scroll case.

The tower doors are easily fixed if you are spending a day here. They are on the ground pretty much intact, but between them and the stuff you find throughout the compound a rough repair job can be completed and the doorway can be blocked.

Let me know if I'm missing something and what y'all want to do this fine Day #16.

HPs: Jeloon - 23/29; Till - 34/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 16/19; Derek - 33/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote: What are the items that Bruard is casting Detect Magic on? Other than the shield?
The shield... and I guess the two cut purses?

Argennian, was there anything else you could think of? I believe we've cast the spell on everything we wanted, up to this point. No use casting it on things that already came up as magical.

I'm going to let Mitch detail what he wants everyone to do on the next day. I think he has some things in mind, so... he can take the lead and get it all into motion.

FYI: Still haven't heard from Migellito or Vokarius about choosing the next magic items. Plenty of time has passed for them to chime in. Pretty soon the decision will get made based on group consensus instead of who is next in line.

Till peers curiously over Bruard's shoulder as he casts the magical detection spell on the shield and other items recently found.

Careful observation, however, would also find Till eyeing the coin purse where Yosef has the banded ring stowed away...
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:Day 16 – 6:00a

... Let me know if I'm missing something and what y'all want to do this fine Day #16.

OOC: that covers most of it but still had the following posted previous:
Argennian wrote: ... During breakfast, Yosef will lay out all the items that he has acquired, including the wand and bracers. He will go through and look for any differences in the coins to start with. The ones from the Caves of Quasqueton that we started with, the ones the hill giant had, the ones on the dwarves, the ones found in the wood giant tomb, those found in the commander’s quarters and the ones on the dead adventurers in the tower.
Next, we look at the armor, weapons, gear and skeletons of the deceased. Looking for any clues as to the age, style and manufacturer of the armor, weapons, gear. Similar to anything we saw in Quasqueton or from around the realm? We’ll also look over the ring, the scrolls and all the magic items again. Looking for any clues or details on the mage scrolls.

~ When all magic is present, vote to have Bruard could cast his Detect Magic spell and confirm the remainder of still-unknown items.
~ Yosef will then cast his first Read Magic spell (duration: 6 rounds). He will first look at the ring to see if he notices anything about it. He’ll then look at the scrolls to see if he can glean anything additional or perhaps notice something that couldn’t be seen without the spell: magical seal, symbol, signatures, hidden codes, map, instructions, whatever. Not sure how long all that would take but Yosef will use his second Read Magic spell if needed...

OOC2: hoping this might provide some clues, one way or the other.

If they do not, and since Bruard can't cast Augury spells due to lack of components, we'll have to go with some experimentations with the ring, as Till had suggested earlier.

Will update more if can later today, but by tonight at the latest! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by rredmond »

OK, let’s do this, until Greg can get back in play. We’ll say he casts the 3 CLW last night (I need who the three recipients are, there are four possible, but the active guys can decide who can get them) and he’ll pray for and cast the detect magic spell.

The shield is magical, the cut purses are not. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by Alethan »

Cast CLW on Jeloon, Bruard, and Derek. After a good night's rest, Till is just one point down and doesn't need it.

Or was your last interaction with stats the updated stats after resting? Even if you've already adjusted for that, and he's two points down, he's still much higher than Bruard and we want to make sure our Cleric is at full health. And the two front-line fighters should get healing before him, as well. So I still think it should be Jeloon, Bruard, and Derek.

Till tosses the two cut purses into the morning campfire after Bruard is unable to detect anything unusual about them.

"Derek should get the shield, seeing as how it is magical and he still has a plain ol ordinary one. If he doesn't want it, then Bruard is the only other one who commonly uses one, so I guess it should go to him? Unless you want it, Yosef. Then you two can play rock, paper, knives for it."

After a hot breakfast, Till asks, "Well, Yosef? What's the plan for the day? Tell me what you want me to do and I'll get at it to the best of my ability while the guys there work on repairing the tower doors. With any luck, we'll have a small base of sorts we can return to if we need it. I still wish we had a way of magically locking the doors from the outside, but... the other method of blocking it from the inside and using the grappling hook and rope to scale the wall works, as well."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by rredmond »

Day 16 – 6:00a

I did already adjust for the good night's sleep. Okay CLW for the folks you listed, in the order you listed them: Jeloon [1d8] = 3, Bruard [1d8] = 6, Derek [1d8] = 3

HPs updated below.

HPs: Jeloon - 26/29; Till - 34/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon & Derek; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:... Till tosses the two cut purses into the morning campfire after Bruard is unable to detect anything unusual about them.

"Derek should get the shield, seeing as how it is magical and he still has a plain ol ordinary one. If he doesn't want it, then Bruard is the only other one who commonly uses one, so I guess it should go to him? Unless you want it, Yosef. Then you two can play rock, paper, knives for it."
Yosef shakes his head in the negative. "I appreciate the consideration but I do not normally fight with a shield, as I need to keep a hand free for somatic purposes in casting spells. I would vote to let the warriors use it."

Alethan wrote:After a hot breakfast, Till asks, "Well, Yosef? What's the plan for the day? Tell me what you want me to do and I'll get at it to the best of my ability while the guys there work on repairing the tower doors. With any luck, we'll have a small base of sorts we can return to if we need it. I still wish we had a way of magically locking the doors from the outside, but... the other method of blocking it from the inside and using the grappling hook and rope to scale the wall works, as well."
"Since Master Bruard has already searched the entire compound with the helm, perhaps he could use it on the outer wall and the ground about the base of the wall? We should look for any hidden bunkers or secret stash areas the occupants could have had placed in case of emergencies outside the wall. I say we also search for any trails that might lead to something nearby. Since we will be here for the day, we could dedicate at least a few hours to this and should eliminate these as potentials.

As far as the magic items go, perhaps the Helm of Sight could be used to inspect them? My Read Magic spells showed no additional detail but perhaps the Helm would?"

OOC: that's all I had for now but need to get going with work. I'll think on this more and post again later this afternoon.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Argennian »

After the wonderfully invigorating hot meal, Yosef studies the coins, the ring, the armor, the scrolls and the dead adventurers closely. With a noticeable sigh, he relegates his findings with the others.

"In regard to the coin, some are stamped and some are not. It appears that although somewhat varied, they are all mostly the same size and weight regardless. The coins garnered from the Wood Giant’s tomb are certainly the oldest of the lot and appear the most distinctive as such. But it’s my guess that all the others are from our current age.

The armor and gear has some distinctions as well. Some of what we found here, I believe to be from the barbarians that apparently built this place and watched this area in a time past. The armor and gear from the others found here in the main tower makes them out to be adventurers or an expeditionary group, such as ourselves. Basic generic stuff in general.

The scrolls are all similar and the hand in which they are written is somewhat... different? Both the mage and clerical spell scrolls are wonderful finds and indeed very powerful! The Iron Blood scroll is indeed a unique one! It appears to be a spell of only the Second level of Power but is transcribed in a way as to offer a much higher-powered effect. I believe it to be able to grant the recipient additional health and vitality for the better part of an hour. A wonderful find indeed and one that could… make the difference to be sure, as old Dravic would say!"

Yosef then brings forth the magical ring with a noticeable pout and look of consternation. "I am afraid the extent of my Read Magic spell would not help in better understanding the power and parameter of the ring, friends. It remains a color-banded enigma to be sure! It is very powerful magic and that is what of course concerns me so. Till did try it on momentarily, and was able to remove it without ill effect, so there is that,” the elf offers with a matter-of-factly tilt of his head and raising of his eyebrows towards his halfling companion, “but, short of an Augury spell of mighty Shinare, we will have to be relegated to experimentation in this. It could be or do anything for all we know. It could be a protective device, but I suspect it would have been worn at all times if it was. Perhaps it has a more specialized power or powers? Since we found it within what we suspect to be the quarters of the old commander of this installation, perhaps it benefits someone barbarian in nature or would be of benefit to a warrior class? All unsubstantiated conjecture, I assure you. I would only offer we be cautious in our experimentations. No jumping off the tower suspecting it to be a Ring of Feather Flight!” Yosef tries to look serious but cannot help smiling and offering a human-like wink towards Till.

OOC: Iron Blood scroll: 8th level MU spell; level dependent in strength (for Yosef: duration would last about 40 rounds); delivered by touch (to reader or any willing recipient); grants 8d4 extra hit points for duration.

(awesome unique spell, Huzzah!)
:P

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by Alethan »

"psh... Like I'd do that... Without a safety line..."

Till shrugs. "Sometimes Magic has a way of not working around me. Or, at least, when it involves things I put on or use. Sometimes they work just fine, like my own protective ring here. But, truth be told, I didn't really give the ring much chance to do anything before taking it off, so maybe it worked just fine and I just didn't do anything that required the magics contained within. I'm perfectly willing to give it another try, if nobody else will. But... I think Jeloon is up for the next share of magic, if she is interested. What say you, Jeloon? Fancy a new ring?"

Till waits to see if Jeloon wants to try on the ring. If not, then Till recklessly picks up the banded ring and puts it on his non-ringed hand.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

"Lieutenant Daa-aan. Ice cream."

Let's get this ball rolling again. Last call for the ring, Dave. You want this for Jeloon? Highly doubtful it is cursed. Migellito and I talked about it when we first found it (treasure thread link here) and we both agreed it probably has something to do with fire protection, due to the colors of the bands. But we really didn't know. Maybe it is a protection ring, in which case it wouldn't work with Till because he already has one... unless this one is a better "model". Or it could be something completely different. But Till found it in an old desk that belonged to the commander (or whatever) of the outpost, along with a nice clerical scroll, so one would assume it at least is beneficial and not harmful.

I think Jeloon should take it. But you should speak up if you want him to have it. Can't hold Till off for much longer. :) It's a magical ring. He comes from a family of jewelers.

Till nods at Yosef's plan and heads out. Figuring the easiest way to look for secret passages along the outer wall of the compound is with the helmet (can we assume Bruard is going to handle this task?), Till will work on examining the mountainous wall nearest the compound, assuming any kind of hiding hole or hidden cave will be somewhat close. He'll take advantage of his halfling abilities to do his best to remain hidden while he examines the hillside/mountainside for any signs of hidden trails or old unused trails. If he should find anything like that, he'll follow the trail up the side of the mountain, looking for hidden cave entrances and such.

Not sure what everyone else is doing. Hopefully we can just say Bruard is using his helm to examine the outer walls for secret entrances or hiding holes or whatever.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by rredmond »

Yes, we will assume (since Greg is obviously still busy) that Bruard spends a bunch of the day scanning for hidden things at the perimeter of the camp. Intrigued to see what's gonna happen with that ring! ;)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Let's get this ball rolling again. Last call for the ring, Dave. You want this for Jeloon?
ooc: My apologies! I am still not accustomed to checking the threads for this game. Just the opposite, in fact. Now that I've posted in it and will start getting e-mail notices of updates so it shouldn't be a problem again.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:Yosef then brings forth the magical ring with a noticeable pout and look of consternation. "I am afraid the extent of my Read Magic spell would not help in better understanding the power and parameter of the ring, friends. It remains a color-banded enigma to be sure! It is very powerful magic and that is what of course concerns me so. Till did try it on momentarily, and was able to remove it without ill effect, so there is that,” the elf offers with a matter-of-factly tilt of his head and raising of his eyebrows towards his halfling companion, “but, short of an Augury spell of mighty Shinare, we will have to be relegated to experimentation in this.
Jeloon approaches Yoself and cocks her head as she studies the ring in Yousef's hand. She notices the wide eyes of the halfling. "Heh," she chortles, "Let me try this one," she says in Till's general direction. Feeling relatively confident the ring is not cursed, she carefully reaches to accept it from Yosef.

She admires the ring and its innate beauty, then shrugs her shoulders and places the ring on the ring finger of her left hand.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by rredmond »

Just a reminder of what we are dealing with:
magic ring.gif
magic ring.gif (5.58 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
The only thing not really shown here, is that each band gets a bit higher off the ring as we get further in.
So the farthest outside band, black, is pretty flat to the ring, the next (brown) being just a bit higher than that, then the red, and then the white. The white looking a bit like a big glob of paint kind of sitting there. Not really that drastic, but you get what I mean I hope. It's a pretty big ring. The center, white, has maybe a fingertip diameter, it's less than an inch, but let's just call it an inch for ease. So if the center was an inch in diameter, then the width of each next band is about a quarter inch. So from white to brown is a quarter inch of red, from red to black is a quarter inch of brown, from black to the edge is a quarter inch. Hope I didn't confuse the issue.

The half-orc muses over the ring and then puts it on. It sizes itself to fit her finger as well as it did the halflings. She looks around and...

PM sent.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:She looks around and...

PM sent.

You're killing me.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:You're killing me.
ooc: Or, quite possibly, me (Jeloon). :shock:
-- Project --

-- DM --