err results

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
Draco
Squire
Squire

err results

#1 Post by Draco »

Whenever I try to make a roll, I only get err as a result. Guessing it's an error. Any idea how to resolve? I made a campaign and character, but nothing happened to stop this.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: err results

#2 Post by Alethan »

That generally means you are formatting your rolls incorrectly. That or you are trying to put too much code into one roll. There is a character limit in that field and it generally only allows you to enter, for example, three stat rolls at once.

Show me what formatting you are using in a reply to this post.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've found that Alethan is correct. The roller appears to get "overloaded" if you try and do lets say [4d6c1] more than 4 times in one macro as an example or if you throw too much math into it same results. Though I haven't pinpointed the exact limits I have come to the err result a few times too many to count. I find you have to cut down what you are trying to do or simplified and split it into a couple macros rather than just one.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Draco
Squire
Squire

#4 Post by Draco »

I believe it's more or less something like this:

Character: Roll
Crash Dummy 1d5 or 1d6

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

I haveno idea what that means.

If that's what you're typing in the field for the roll, then yeah it's going to fail.

Here are the syntax rules for rolling dice:
http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=help

You have to use the proper formatting when making the dice roll or it won't work.

Draco
Squire
Squire

#6 Post by Draco »

Alethan wrote:I haveno idea what that means.

If that's what you're typing in the field for the roll, then yeah it's going to fail.

Here are the syntax rules for rolling dice:
http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=help

You have to use the proper formatting when making the dice roll or it won't work.
Tis my sorry ass attempt at replicating the field without a screen capture. anyway the Crash Dummy was under the character field, and roll was 1d5 and 1d6 tests.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

I still have no idea what you are saying, man. Don't know what you mean by crash dummy.

Read the instructions I linked to earlier. Follow them and you should be able to figure out what you are doing wrong. Look at the examples of rolls.

If that doesn't help, post the exact text of the dice rolls you are trying to make if you want assistance. Or take a screen shot of the roll code after you type it in and before you actually make the roll.

Alethan
Site Moderator

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

So "Crash Dummy" is the name of your character.

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... 70&macid=0

Unfortunately, the saved roll doesn't show what you actually typed in the Macro field. Did you just type "1d5 or 1d6" for the text? If so, then you need to read the section on Macro Syntax so you can see how macros are supposed to be created.

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.asp?do=help

Sorry. I'm going to make you work to figure this out. Give a man a fish and all that... ;)

Alethan
Site Moderator

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Hey Draco (love the username btw),

Al's got the right of it, as usual. You've got to format those roll requests the right way.
Alethan wrote:Read the instructions I linked to earlier. Follow them and you should be able to figure out what you are doing wrong. Look at the examples of rolls.
Believe me, I know from experience :lol:

Once you got the format down, it's like second nature though. I use to have saved macros all over the place, but now that I've done it enough, it's pretty simple just to throw in what I need. If I type: Hermione's initiative roll to slap Draco: [1d6]
it yields:
Hermione's initiative roll to slap Draco: [1d6] = 3

Good luck man, the die roller is pretty cool when you get the hang of it!
Be well,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Return to “Help and Support”