Character sheets.only for 1st & 2nd ed?

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character sheets.only for 1st & 2nd ed?

#1 Post by Stirling »

Hello forum admin,

I have a question. I would like to run a new campaign but may decide to use the 3.5 ed D&D and the character sheets rolled up in the forum only appear for the old school editions. Can you create one for later editions of the game, even to the 5th / Next editions?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Character sheets.only for 1st & 2nd ed?

#2 Post by dmw71 »

I can't speak for ToniXX, the Admin of the website, but the differences between AD&D and the d20 editions are pretty significant. The character sheet in the die roller is most likely geared towards 1e, but can be somewhat easily converted to Basic or 2e if needed, without any extra coding or modifications required of ToniXX. The later editions, not so much.

I'm only familiar with Pathfinder, which is probably very close to 3.0 or 3.5, and the differences from the non-d20 editions are pretty significant (and ToniXX may not even be familiar enough with these later editions to know what is different or required). Then, there may be differences between the various d20 games (from 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, and D&D Next). And what about other RPG systems such as BRP, Torchbearer, ACKS, or Burning Wheel?

It may be possible, but will almost certainly be a significant undertaking and not something that can/will be accomplished quickly (if at all).

I'd welcome you to take a look at what tooleychris did for the game he's running, here: Character Creation. Or what I started to build for my Pathfinder game, here: Character Sheet Templates. They may not be ideal, but they should help giveyou a head start on creating a text-based character sheet for the later editions.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

dmw71 wrote:It may be possible, but will almost certainly be a significant undertaking and not something that can/will be accomplished quickly (if at all).
What Dave said here is entirely true. It would be a lot of work to make character sheets for multiple versions of D&D, as well as other RPGs. As it is, I made it to work well with B/X, OSRIC, 1ed and 2ed.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Although they are obviously not geared for every system, the "notes" tab on the US sheet also comes in very handy for storing information not accounted for elsewhere.

As an oldschooler myself, I really dig the US sheet and use it in every game that I'm in and run.

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by SterlingBlake »

ToniXX wrote:
dmw71 wrote:It may be possible, but will almost certainly be a significant undertaking and not something that can/will be accomplished quickly (if at all).
What Dave said here is entirely true. It would be a lot of work to make character sheets for multiple versions of D&D, as well as other RPGs. As it is, I made it to work well with B/X, OSRIC, 1ed and 2ed.
I'd be willing to take a crack at this if you have a little time to tell me how the existing sheets were done. I have a server of my own to mess around with, leaving all this untouched until I figure it out.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by ToniXX »

SterlingBlake wrote:I'd be willing to take a crack at this if you have a little time to tell me how the existing sheets were done. I have a server of my own to mess around with, leaving all this untouched until I figure it out.
Do you know classic ASP? That's what the site is written in.

SterlingBlake
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by SterlingBlake »

Hi ToniXX. I'm somewhat familiar with it. Not something I've used extensively though. If you don't mind sharing a little source with me I can assess how practical it would be for me to extend or branch it.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

SterlingBlake wrote:Hi ToniXX. I'm somewhat familiar with it. Not something I've used extensively though. If you don't mind sharing a little source with me I can assess how practical it would be for me to extend or branch it.
Please PM me your email address and we'll continue this conversation there. Thanks!

Return to “Help and Support”