linking to individual posts

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

linking to individual posts

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

I know some boards allow you to link to individual posts. Is that possible here? Also, is it possible to number the posts for easy reference ("see post #68 in the OOC thread", for instance).

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: linking to individual posts

#2 Post by rredmond »

The way I do it is to click the little piece of paper next to your posted date. See picture below, the red circled thingie is what I'm talking about :) :
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (81.28 KiB) Viewed 444 times
that brings you to the post. At this point you just go up to the address bar and copy the url of the post like so:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (66.44 KiB) Viewed 444 times
then you just paste the url into your post like so:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1353

That should work methinks. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by thirdkingdom »

rredmond wrote:That should work methinks. :)
. . . except that it doesn't. When I click on the little piece of paper it acts like it is loading a page, without opening another tab, but when it is finished I am still looking at all of the posts, not just the one selected. The view has changed a bit (it typically takes me down the page a couple of hairs) but other than that nothing is happening.

Help!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote:...I am still looking at all of the posts, not just the one selected....
As a obsessive link-junkie, what Ron demonstrated does work. However, considering just the bold section quoted above, it sounds like you want to link to a specific post and just that specific post (with no previous or future posts displayed). ToniXX can correct me if I'm wrong, but that, I'm afraid, is not possible. You can use links to create "jumps" to specific posts, but not at the exclusion of all other posts within the same thread.

Can you give an example of what you're trying to accomplish?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

thirdkingdom wrote:
rredmond wrote:That should work methinks. :)
. . . except that it doesn't. When I click on the little piece of paper it acts like it is loading a page, without opening another tab, but when it is finished I am still looking at all of the posts, not just the one selected. The view has changed a bit (it typically takes me down the page a couple of hairs) but other than that nothing is happening.

Help!

It does work. If you paste that link somewhere else, then click on it, it will direct you straight to that post under that thread. But, it won't single the comment out of the thread. That isn't possible in this forum.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

Hah! You guys are right. I totally was expecting it to link only to an isolated post, and missed what it was doing. Thanks.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Man, if I had a dollar for very time someone told me I was right, I'd have at LEAST a good three dollars by now...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

As Ron said, you can click the little 'paper' icon, or click the link next to 'post subject' for the post you want. It's the same link.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Help and Support”