Moving a post

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Moving a post

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

I would like to invoke my mod powers to move a post into another topic, but I find myself flummoxed by the description given in the moderator control panel about how to do such a thing. Any advice on how to do this?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Moving a post

#2 Post by Alethan »

I can write up a brief How To in the morning when I'm not using an iPad.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Sorry; a little later than "morning"...

1. It is much easier to move a post to a new thread if you know the Topic Identification Number (TIN) to which you want to move the post. To that end, before you go into the Moderator Control Panel, first open the desired destination thread. In the address bar, the last part of the web address for that thread is the TIN.

e.g. The TIN of the "Moving a post" thread is 1272...

Code: Select all

http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1272
2. Armed with that information, now navigate to the thread containing the post you want to move.
3. Open the Moderator Control Panel.
4. In the field under the Move Posts section, type the destination TIN.
5. Scroll down to the post you want to move.
6. Select the check box on the right side of the post you want to move.
7. In the drop-down box located at the bottom of the thread, select Move Posts.
8. Click the Submit button.
9. ???
10. Profit.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

time for another sticky methinks. :)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

thirdkingdom wrote:Aha! It works. Thanks.
Yessir, not a problem! :)

Aaaaaaaand... stickied.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Grognardsw »

Hi All,

I understand one can move a post, but I was wondering if it is possible to copy a post, or indeed a whole Topic's full of posts, from a private sub-forum into the main public forum in which the private forum resides under? In some easier way than cutting/pasting a post and changing the poster to the one who wrote the original.

I'm not sure if "Splitting" a topic means this. I tried to split a post but got confused because it said topic, so I didn't do it.

Thank you.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Grognardsw wrote:Hi All,

I understand one can move a post, but I was wondering if it is possible to copy a post, or indeed a whole Topic's full of posts, from a private sub-forum into the main public forum in which the private forum resides under? In some easier way than cutting/pasting a post and changing the poster to the one who wrote the original.

I'm not sure if "Splitting" a topic means this. I tried to split a post but got confused because it said topic, so I didn't do it.

Thank you.
There is a specific function for moving a post. I can do it, but not even a Moderator can see private topics unless they have permission given by the site admin or the DM controlling the topic. So I can't copy the topic if I can't see it.

Site Admin should be able to do it, as well.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by ToniXX »

Grognardsw wrote:I understand one can move a post, but I was wondering if it is possible to copy a post, or indeed a whole Topic's full of posts, from a private sub-forum into the main public forum in which the private forum resides under? In some easier way than cutting/pasting a post and changing the poster to the one who wrote the original.

Thank you.
I will have to look into this. Yes, moving is straightforward. Not sure about copying. Splitting is definitely not what you want. PM me links to the thread(s) you want to copy.
** EDIT ** yes, it looks like I can copy threads.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

I have a thread that is 14 pages long, but I want to create a new thread and move all posts from the middle of the sixth page in my current thread into the new thread.

I'm wondering if you can move multiple pages worth of posts at the same time?

If I select half of the posts from page 6, then move to the next page and select all posts from it (and repeat until I'm at my current last page), will only the most recent checked posts (e.g. page 14) be moved, or will the system remember all previously selected posts (pages 6-13) and move them as well?

I'm about to test it and find out. :D
Last edited by dmw71 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I'm wondering if you can move multiple pages worth of posts at the same time?
Actually, I just noticed the "Posts per page (Set to 0 to view all posts.)" option. That is what I would want to do first. Set that to 0, press Enter to refresh the page, and that changes the number of posts per game from 20 (the default) to 273 (the total number of posts in the thread).

From that view, I can select everything I want at the same time.

#solved
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

There's also a split thread option I believe. Gotta check that out...
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

Yep there's a "split selected posts" option as well as a "split topic from selected post onwards" option. If I'm guessing what you want to do correctly.
--Ron--

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Yep there's a "split selected posts" option as well as a "split topic from selected post onwards" option. If I'm guessing what you want to do correctly.
Thanks, Ron.

I'm guessing either would have been easier than what I did, but I was able to accomplish what I wanted without screwing anything up (except potentially confuse my players), so I'll still consider it a win. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by The_Wanderer »

I feel like I used to be able to follow this and move posts in my games but now can't. Did this change with the upgrade to the boards?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Do you have the 'Move posts' option?

Move posts.jpg
Move posts.jpg (104.91 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by The_Wanderer »

No, only:

Lock Topic
Change to "Standard Topic"
Change to "Announcement"
Change to "Global"
Screenshot 2020-09-14 083550.png
Screenshot 2020-09-14 083550.png (24.6 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

I just checked in one of my threads in my new Bushido game and I have all the expected options.

I also have them in a thread from an archived game, so it can't be an issue with game forums that existed prior to the recent upgrade.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by The_Wanderer »

Yeah that's interesting. In an old archived game I ran I have all of those options available. Looks like it is just in the new one I am running.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:22 pm Yeah that's interesting. In an old archived game I ran I have all of those options available. Looks like it is just in the new one I am running.
I was digging through the various settings and permissions and I believe I identified an issue (I missed a step in the initial forum setup).

Can you let me know if you're still having the same issue?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Help and Support”