Post limit in a thread

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Post limit in a thread

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

I know from experience on other forums that they don't like threads going over a certain number of posts. On rpg.net, for instance, the limit is 1000 posts per thread. Anything more than that and the forum starts to slow down considerably. Is that an issue over here? Is there a point at which you would like us to start new threads? I ask that partially because I have noticed that many of the games here, rather than having a single IC thread, break the action down into multiple threads.

Thanks,

Todd

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Post limit in a thread

#2 Post by Alethan »

I've not heard anything about post limits, but I know ToniXX has had limits on other things, so... It is possible.

As a general rule, I think it's good to break up threads way before you would ever reach the 1000 post point, though, just for organizational purposes.

Many of the games I'm in (this forum and others) break the threads at significant points, like just after a fight or just before a new "mission" starts or whatever.

I'll try to find out if there is a limit, though. If there isn't, there probably should be...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Post limit in a thread

#3 Post by ToniXX »

There is no setting to limit the post count per thread. Currently the boards are set at 20 posts per page, so if a thread has 20 pages, that's 400 posts. As Alethan said, most DMs go about 15 pages before making a new action thread.

So to the DMs out there: Let's try to keep the page count on your threads under 20. I see one OOC that's in the 40s, and that's just from a quick look at three or four games. As far as I can tell, it hasn't slowed down the boards. It seems that would be a good rule of thumb, and shouldn't be too much of a burden for anyone.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Help and Support”