CHAPTER 7: The Great Mushroom Harvest

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER 7: The Great Mushroom Harvest

#81 Post by Urson »

Belial

The baboon has been oddly silent since heading down into the canyon. I don't have any guesses what might make dead things look like that- but I don't wanna get too close. Let's stick to the widest paths we can find, eh? Oh- and if you see some little purple 'shrooms with green spots, lemme know! The things you see when you eat 'em are awesome!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

neurotox
Strider
Strider

#82 Post by neurotox »

May-Jor scans the visible fungi for anything she might know to be particularly valuable, delicious, or conspicuously out of the ordinary. She replies to Kurot, "Many kinds of mushrooms in the wastes. They mutate like anything else. Some can do incredible things, and are very valuable. Some wander round and sing little songs. And some are very, very delicious."

She bends over and peers at one of the carcasses. "...Looks like jerky."

Mimdalf
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by Mimdalf »

Blixx

"Well we learned that several shops might have use for some mushrooms.

The snakemonn who owns the foodstuff and provisions (2) - Fungi to use in trail rations.

The Baker (6) - Yeast for breads.

The Tanner/Leatherworker (26) - Fungal extracts for preserving/coloring.

The Herb and Spice trader (28) - Fungal extracts."
Blixx consults a sheaf of folded paper.

"I'm fairly good at cooking I think I might know which ones are the tastiest."

"Maybe we shouldn't breath without some protection down here?" Blixx slowly wets a cravat and ties it about his nose and mouth.

Can Blixx use his cooking skill to locate some edible shrooms?

Cooking [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3

Nevermind...

"Hold a minute!" Blixx hurriedly goes thru his backpack and produces a crumpled scroll.
"Here is this from the healer in town." Blixx shows everyone:

Crimson Dawn: 5gp/large sack.
A single, white stalk with fur 1-2” high.
A reddish to maroon hood spotted with white clusters.

Black Eyed Death: 18gp/large sack.
Multiple stalks from a single root, 4-6” high.
Irregular shaped hood with black to purple circular growths.
The growths will ooze black liquid when popped.
If there is not liquid in the growths, cutting the stalks will release a deadly, toxic gas.
Last edited by Mimdalf on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" WW

Namárië

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#84 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack shrugs "I'm far from an expert on mushrooms I am just the fellow that got the intel about that beehive and the honey and nectar need or want back in Hagalton. But we dealt with that last trip in here." the one time lawman takes a look around at the different mushrooms not sure what to make of any of them. In attempt to see if he can tell what might be edible he makes use of his survival knowledge.

survival [1d20] = 5
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Norjax »

Silvestri makes an analysis of the nearby carcasses. Most appear to have been disturbed by something dragging parts away or digging through the remains and discarding select sections. The Highest concentration of carcasses is near the edge of the mushroom grove.

---

Jack and Blixx both make attempts to evaluate the edibility of the mushrooms. Neither is able to determine if the shrooms are safe to eat. Blixx reviews the information he has obtained on the value of various mushrooms and other fungi.

---

Denslow is anxious to know what types will bring some needed coin, while the stoic Kurot questions the need to explore this patch.

---

Belial exclaims his like for a purple mushroom with green spots, but nothing resembling these is immediately visible.

---

May-Jor moves closer to the mushroom grove. The cybernetic bear, having familiarity with various fungi, moves closer to the forest and scans the edge, trying to determine the value, edibility or conspicuity of the toadstools. (Skills Check by Mutant Lord)

Observing the red and yellow hues of the four dominate fungal trees, she notes that such colors usually indicate a dangerous organism. The 5ft variety, with a root-like base, (Type B) resembles a mutated version of a type that reacts to ground pressure. The 10ft species, with the secondary hood, (Type D) probably produced a spore cloud if disturbed. The thick mat of soil under the mushrooms is most likely dead matter accumulated over the years mixed with molds and sheet fungi.

She looks closely at one of the carcasses, but decides it will not make a savory jerky.

---

VISUALS:

Actions?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by greyarea »

Denslow hefts his axe, which looks more suited to a lumber mill than a battlefield, and declares, Let me know what ones to cut down and I'll get to. When it comes to chopping, I'm your tree!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zhym »

Kurot stares, jaw agape, at the axe-wielding tree. "Now, that's just not right," he says.

GreyWolfVT

#88 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack at this point stands back and lets the axe wielding tree have at it finding most anything at this time less than surprising. "Again I'm not expert on mushrooms so really go ahead and chop away just avoid the ones that look like they might release spores." the one time lawman indicates the mushroom Type D
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Mister-Kent »

Frekken curiously studies each different kind of fungus. "Hrm...let's see what we have here..."

Would his Foraging skills be of any help in identifying the needed 'shrooms?
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Norjax »

Mister-Kent wrote:Would his Foraging skills be of any help in identifying the needed 'shrooms?
Yes, you have a chance with the Foraging skill.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Norjax »

The Gam’A Zone, Day 76

The clustered areas of the first mushroom grove appear to be dominated by the 10ft species with secondary hood (Type D). The tallest mushroom in the grove (12ft, Type A) has “fur” under the hood and on the stalk. The shortest (Type C) is a stocky fungus with a helmet-like hood. It is the darkest of the four main types of mushrooms. There are shorter and juvenile varieties of each type scattered in the mat floor underneath the towering stalked organisms along with molds and other fungi.

MAP:

Actions?

Mimdalf
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#92 Post by Mimdalf »

Blixx

"Wow, what a riot of colors!" Blixx looks astounded

Blixx will ready his handaxe and begin looking for some Black-Eyed Death mushrooms. He will gently slice the stalk first and make sure it bleeds black goo before he tries to harvest it. Again he is going to be wearing a wet cravat and his sunglasses for a makeshift protection.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" WW

Namárië

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri looks unsure I can't see any that sound like what we are looking for, I guess we need to have a careful look around

neurotox
Strider
Strider

#94 Post by neurotox »

May-Jor is particularly wary of the Type B mushrooms. "These ones," she mumbles, "they resemble a smaller mushroom from the wastes. Those ones reacted when pressure was applied to the ground around them. Mostly just made a mess on your feet. If these big'uns are related, you'll want to tread carefully near them. Think of them like big, smelly landmines... but then, you never know with these things. The big, two-tiered ones (Type D) almost definitely throw off spores though, and those tend to be bad for your health. Blixx might have the right idea." She'll reach into her pack and pour a smallish amount of water from a waterskin on the collar of her ponch, and pull it up over her snout.

"If we want to stay clear of those... there's one of the tall, furry ones at the edge of that grove." She points to a Type-A mushroom at the southernmost tip of the middle cluster on the map. "We should be able to get at it without bothering the others. At some point soon, though, we may need to figure out a way to deal with the spore shrooms. It will be a very underwhelming haul if we can only pick at the edges of the grove."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri looks thoughtful. Do you know how far the spore cloud spreads? I may be able to lift the axe with one of my powers, but it's range is limited, maybe ten feet

GreyWolfVT

#96 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack nods agreeing "Avoid any of the mushrooms that would set off spores couldn't have said that better myself."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Urson »

Belial

The baboon has been knuckling around the edges of the grove, looking for useful things. If one of you dudes wanna cut, I'll help haul. He accidentally puts his hand into a goopy spot on the ground- Aww- grody!!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

neurotox
Strider
Strider

#98 Post by neurotox »

May-Jor retrieves her makeshift axe, and heads over toward the muppety-looking Type-A shroom she pointed out earlier. "Gonna try and bring it down towards us, so it doesn't disturb the others. Be ready to catch this thing."
I have no idea if May-Jor knows anything about cutting down a tree so it falls in the right direction (via an angled wedge cut), nor do I know if any kind of roll is needed here. If so, I ask that the DM make the appropriate roll(s) for me.
Either way, once someone is in position behind her, May-Jor delivers a two-handed, horizontal chop about a foot up from the base of the mushroom.

GreyWolfVT

#99 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack steps out of the way "Catch it? Are you serious? I'll just stand over here and help once the thing is down."

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Norjax »

The Gam’A Zone, Day 76

May-Jor and Blixx approach the mushroom grove, while the others hang back with nervous anticipation. The cybernetic bear takes a steady aim and chops into the tall, furry mushroom (Type A) at the edge of the fungal forest. At the first hack, a dark cloud forms from streams of spores jetting forth from the trunk. May-Jor hesitates, but after being satisfied her wet mask is protecting her lungs, continues to swing into the giant mushroom.

Blixx, shielded by his wet cravat, waits for the shroom to fall before exploring the ground for the black-eyed death.

It takes four good chops to cut the truck and fell the fungal tree. As the mushroom tips and falls out of the grove, dozens of slimy, green and blue worm-like creatures spew forth from inside the porous trunk. They writhe and wiggle with a rapid undulating motion and pour onto the ground around the bipedal grizzly. Surprised, she is unable to avoid their piercing attack and some burrow into her lower right leg (-1 hp).

May-Jor, make a Fortitude save (roll 1d20+1)

Actions?

Return to “Archive”