CHAPTER 7: The Great Mushroom Harvest

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER 7: The Great Mushroom Harvest

#61 Post by Zhym »

"I...should have acquired some rope," is all that Kurot can unhelpfully offer.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack "I've still got fifty feet of rope."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri goes a little red "Sorry Denslow, Ididn't mean to be rude or anything, I was just unsure of how...um...flexible you are. I think we have 150 foot of rope altogether, so we should be able to make our way down"

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Norjax »

Do you plan to descend down the vertical cliff face or one of the crumbled, sloping areas?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by Mister-Kent »

I think the slope--the cliff would require more rope, but a slope should be fine, right all?
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

GreyWolfVT

#66 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Norjax wrote:Do you plan to descend down the vertical cliff face or one of the crumbled, sloping areas?
I'd be aiming for whichever one looks safer and easier to scale down.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by shaidar »

yeah, the crumbled areas may be more dangerous because of rock slides, so we'd have to choose one carefully

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by greyarea »

Let's try that sloped area over there, says Denslow helpfully. I think the crumbled areas may be more dangerous. I'd hate to gnarl my roots by rock slide.

neurotox
Strider
Strider

#69 Post by neurotox »

For a few minutes now, May-Jor has been staring slack-jawed into the middle distance. A muffled "bwooo-EEP" emits from underneath her poncho, and the bear's head jerks suddenly upright. "HAVE ROPE ALSO", she barks at nobody in particular. As her eyes seemingly refocus, she clears her throat. "Sorry. Should, uh... should you require another 50 feet, got some rope at Hagalton. Tied a grappling hook to it and everything. Happy to help." She digs the coil of rope out of her backpack and gestures to give it to... somebody, she isn't exactly sure who started the conversation.

Mimdalf
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by Mimdalf »

Blixx

"So sorry, I fly, I kinda forget not everyone can, but I have a bit of rope, just 25' or so." Blixx overlooks the cliff edge, he looks thoughtful a moment, then lies prone and takes out his spyglass to view down in the canyon.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" WW

Namárië

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Norjax »

The Gam’A Zone, Day 76

Moving along the edge of the canyon, you find a suitable crumbled area that looks stable enough to descend. You tie enough rope together to make a 175ft line, and then tie it around a rock so Belial and Blixx can hold it secure. Jack, Frekken, Silvestri, May-Jor, Denslow and Kurot safely make their way down the cliff.

MAP:

After the six have made it to the bottom, Belial unties the rope, spreads his wings and glides down to join his comrades. Before Blixx makes his way down, he uses his spyglass to get a good view of the canyon and the nearest grove of mushrooms. He does not spot any animals or movement among the mushrooms or canyon floor.

VIEW:

Actions?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Mister-Kent »

Frekken suggests the party advances to the nearest grove together.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by greyarea »

Denslow says, We have a bit to go down for mushrooms, and I realize that is our goal, but what do you fellas say to exploring some of these caves?
Love the view of the valley with the mushrooms inserted. Very nice.

GreyWolfVT

#74 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack "We might search some of the caves. However we could make some decent profit from the mushrooms."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri "We have to pass a couple of caves to get to the mushrooms. We could collect the 'shrooms and then have a quick look in the caves on the way back, to see if they might be worth checking out properly later"

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Norjax »

The Gam’A Zone, Day 76

There are two main groves of mushrooms starting at three miles away. The smaller one is to the north and closest to your position. The larger one is to the south. Both groves grow up to the edge of a drop in elevation ending at a dry river bed. You begin the trek towards the fungal forest.

The slope leading down to the thicket is hard-packed and littered with small rocks and pebbles. There are occasional patches of desert scrub brush and heaps of darker dirt mixed with debris. After passing several piles of the dirt, you notice that they are actually desiccated carcasses in various conditions; they range from a few bones to intact dried skin and organs.

Your approach offers a view of the forest showing that it consists of growth clusters separated by the barren sand and rock of the canyon floor. There are paths are between 2 and 20 feet wide that lead in and out of the forest. There appears to be four varieties of the large mushroom ranging from 4 to 12 feet tall, in various shades of red and yellow. A thick mat of soil covers the canyon floor under the toadstool canopy.

You see no movement in this canyon and the only sound is the light wind rolling sand along the canyon floor.

MAP:

Actions?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri takes in the scene Perhaps we should stick to the wider paths, less chance of surprise by critters. What creature would leave carcasses like that I wonder. Is there a particular type of mushroom we are looking for?

Silvestri will look around for tracks in the dirt. Do the caracases have bite or teeth marks, is there any sign of old webbing?

GreyWolfVT

#78 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jack "Well at least they're not alive otherwise we'd be in a battle about now."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by greyarea »

Denslow ignores the dead animals but frets. I know what mushrooms are itchiest, but which ones will bring us the most money in town? He asks.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

"Are mushrooms really that valuable?" asks Kurot, who has no need of food and thus has little understanding of its value.

Return to “Archive”