Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 16 - Tempus' recruiting drive

#1 Post by AleBelly »

For Tempus and new players

Date: 2 Grasses (April)
Time: 11:00
Weather: 46F (8C), breezy

It's a bluebird day in Alleborg. Not a cloud in the sky, though a bit chilly for spring. Three figures with a thirst for adventure approach a modest stone hut outside Alleborg's walls. This is where a druid's advertisement has lead them.

Two are elves, a study in contrast: one is well-equipped. He stands 5 and a half feet tall, blond hair pulled back with a silver band containing a gem that matches his bright green eyes. He wears a greenish-grey cloak to fend off the spring breeze. A long bow and quiver is attached to his backpack. A longsword bobs as he walks, attached to his belt.

The second elf barely clears 5 feet. He is slight of build, and paler in complexion. Silver hair makes a sharp contrast to deep purple eyes. A large sack is slung over is shoulder. He wears a shabby cloak.

The third figure is a human. He is attired in the garb of a typical farmer, though his equipment is that of a warrior. Glimpses of ring mail are visible under his clothing. A backpack and small shield are slung over his back. A spear is lashed to his pack, and a morningstar hangs from his belt. Counterbalancing the weight of the spiked weapon is a bulging bag of stones next to a rolled-up sling.

The druid, working with a heavily muscled dog, notices them approaching. A small black bear lolls about in the grass, enjoying the sunshine.

Welcome Zeromancer and scottjen!

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 16 - Tempus' recruiting drive

#2 Post by scottjen »

The shabby dressed elf stands to one side of the other elf, putting the human on the other side. He waits on the pleasure of the halfling druid.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Zeromancer »

The stately looking elf stands resolutely against the breeze flanked by his elvish cousin on one side, and the heavily-armed human on the other. Realizing that the druid had noticed their presence, he called out in the common tongue, "Hail!"

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by CAI4 »

The young human, barely a man, looks to the bear, then to the druid. His eyes light up. "I think my Uncle Chet told me about you! Is that Clarence?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus looks up from his work with his hound. Azor... STAY! Good boy. Hello there, three adventurous looking tallshanks come a calling. Could you have come in response to my advert? Welcome welcome. My name is Tempus, and I am a disciple of the nature spirits!”

He moves forwards, smooths his green robes and runs his fingers through his long blonde dreadlocks to look as presentable as possible.

Your Uncle was Chet? He was a good friend and fellow adventurer. How is he?”
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by scottjen »

shabby elf (looking slightly relieved) (in halfling): Well met. I am called Zo, and yes I came in answer to your call. I would like to leave Alleborg & explore the wild places. I would also be pleased to aid you against the abominations of nature, if you'll have me. I would like to ask if you could help me as well. (here he stops & looks uncomfortable).

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus raises his eyebrows at this. Well met Zo. A favour, so soon in our acquaintance. Well never let it be said that the shire folk are not generous and giving. Name you favour, and if it is within my power and will not cause half to the earth and sky I shall oblige you. We are tasked with rooting out a nest of blind but vicious nightmen that dwell in a burrow within the ground some miles to the north. All help is gratefully appreciated. What skills do each of you bring? Any capable warriors, stealthy thief types perhaps, or those skilled in the area of magic? Any who know how track or are familiar with the ways of the woodlands and call themselves Rangers?”
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by scottjen »

(still in halfling) My master was a cruel & abusive human (distaste plain on his face) who worked me hard yet gave me nothing. I had to learn um other ways of making a few coins to keep from starving, and eventually pay for quills, books and such. I was able to learn some small magics despite him. (face relaxes). I am under equipped to survive a quest such as we speak of although I desperately wish to go. I also have some skill at opening doors, but no tools to do so. I wish I had more to offer in return, but i would give my vere(elven oath) to never betray you.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods in understanding, the tall folk are often crueller than he is used to do this isn’t sometjing he hasn’t heard before from one of them, though he is slightly surprised it has happened with one of the fair folk.

”I shouldn’t worry about some ... errrr .... tools of one of your trades on this trip. I didn’t see anything to suggest these nightmen had doors or locks in their den, and I have magic that can circumvent the one or two we may encounter. I am sad to hear this happened to you. Now you are your own elf, perhaps this venture will be the new beginning g you crave hmmm? What is it you ask of me?”
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by scottjen »

Perhaps some leather protection? A small sword to slay our foes?

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by CAI4 »

The human looks non-plussed at the conversation taking place in halfling. He doesn't follow it.

"Oh, by the way, I'm Lucas" he breaks in, speaking the common tongue. "I'm a ranger, and I love the wilderness! I'm 16 years old."

He perks up at the mention of Chet's name. "My uncle, a protector of the crown" he adds proudly, "is off protecting. He didn't tell me what he was doing."

"I am looking for adventure, and your mention of the night men has me interested!"

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Zeromancer »

The dignified elf follows the conversation which had broken out in the halfling tongue, gazing at the other elf with a mixture of pity and scorn. Naturally, he was pained to hear of the ordeal his kin had endured, but also felt that asking for charity was beneath the station of their race. He doesn't react whence the human interjects himself, though he makes precise note of the man's skill set nevertheless.

"I greet you good halfling, and friend of the wilds. I possess talent in both martial combat and arcane lore and can help you remove the threat you described. My people are curious about what has been transpiring in these parts and I was selected to act as their emissary. You may address me as Lumenor." he stated in slightly accented spoken common.
Last edited by Zeromancer on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by AleBelly »

Introductions are made between the halfling druids and his potential new allies. The awkward subject of help with purchasing some leather protection...or weaponry...comes up from the shabby-looking elf.

Tempus tells the would-be adventurers about the 'night-men.' At least, what he knows of them. He also shows a crude drawing of their lair. A muddy hole leads to a cavernous space, heading south. The druid and his bear did battle with these things along a 5' wide ledge. He was not able to penetrate further. Perhaps this is enough to formulate an action plan.

map:
ch16_1.png
ch16_1.png (742.71 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Zeromancer »

Lumenor sits and listens intently as he studies the rudimentary map provided by the druid. It seems unlikely that there was only the one path into the cavern - in event of cave-in, any occupants would be trapped and would likely perish.

"Are you certain there is just the one path into the cavern?" he queried, glancing over at the halfling.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by scottjen »

Curious, Zo glances at the map. (in common now) What is in the pit?
To all: I am unfamiliar with the term night-men. What is known of them?

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus points to the map and the entrance and speaks in the common tongue. ”Clarence and I came upon the hole as were on our way to another mission, and only briefly explored it to see what was there. We encountered the nightmen, humanoid men that with grey skin and crude weapons. Blind and reluctant to step into the light of day, they were never the less quite aggressive when they found we had invaded their territory. We did not spend any time searching the area for other entrances as this wasn’t our concern at that point. These creatures are known to the local wild life and those that protect it however. Unfortunately I had to slay a few as we retreated, and Clarence nearly perished.” he says looking fondly at the sleeping bear.

”Welcome Lumenor, Lucas. These are good things to know. Chet is a great fellow, and I am rather fond of him. I hope he is successful whereever he is. If you are even half as brave and resourceful as your uncle Lucas we shall be lucky to have you. them switching to halfling Yes Zo, some leather armour and a sword I can accommodate for you. Here are 3 platinum pieces. Buy what you can.”

He hands over the money and bids the poor elf go and equip himself.
Greys Campaign.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by scottjen »

(looking somewhat surprised)Zo bows to Tempus, gratefully accepting the coins.
Then in common: "I will return as soon as possible"

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by CAI4 »

With a youthful gleam in his eye, Lucas says to Lumenor and Tempus. "Okay, when he gets back, let's head off. I'm excited!"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by scottjen »

Zo returns armed with a new short sword & leather armor. He smiles at Tempus & gives him 5 gp, " I am ready!"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Storm11 »

The halfling nods and pockets the change, and gets his friends ready to leave, climbing onto Clarence once his saddle is in place, and calling Azor to Heel.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”