Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

AleBelly
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 15 - To the Liberated City of Strod...and Below

#301 Post by Zhym »

"Our work here ain't done yet," says Angus. "And I reckon what there's no end of strong folks around these parts, if we need one. I'm for recuperating under the ministrations of tipping a few to Chet, then heading back down to find some orcs when we're fit again."

"As for Chet's doodads"—Angus pauses and sighs. He still doesn't want to deal with this. "What do y'all think about giving his gold to the monastery? Seems more right than us taking it."

OOC: It looks like the new PCs are all joining Tempus on a different outing, so who we have is who we've got unless we have any more new PCs coming in. But a level 1 fighter probably won't make that much difference to our group, either. So masybe we should just continue on with the current PCs unless we want to go NPC shopping or something. There are still enough of us that we probably don't need any more, IMO, except maybe for a thief.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#302 Post by enn.in.me »

I'm happy to continue with this group.

"I'm always a fan of donations. I'm sure a monastery that produced such a valiant soul as Chet is well worth a donation. As to ministration tipping, yes. Yes, I think that's a fine idea."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by tkrexx »

I don't want none of Chet's coin, no, Hyde mumbles sadly, It don't take his place. We all took some hits down below. We can heal tonight, tomorra be good enough to go back down, yeahh. Ya wanna have some drink for Chet, that be cool. I be stayin' heah with him. Might have some tea, tho. I like tea. He notices his stomach growling mightily. And some wild pig, if they got any.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by AleBelly »

”Sorry about your friend. If you ain’t ready to take ‘im back to Alleborg, we have a place for him. Cold enough outside he won’t start stinkin’ for awhile” offers one of the guards.

Hyde snatches Chet’s bedroll, Angus takes a torch, and Dandelion grabs Chet’s prized Fork of Tritherton.

As they discuss getting an ale or bite to eat, they are pointed towards the only tavern in town. ”It ain’t what you’re used to in the capital. Don’t even have a name.”

And the guard is right. Only a few timbered buildings in Strod have been restored to their glory of 50 years ago, and the tavern isn’t one of them. Moss covers the beams outside and inside the modest tavern. The inside is weakly lit by a few oil-burning lamps. The barkeep, a half-orc like many of the inhabitants of the place, likes it that way. The menu is not expansive.

For 3 silver one gets an overcooked chicken with rock-hard bread. For 5 cp one gets rat stew. In response to the incredulous looks of the party, the barkeep simply replies ”It’s what most of us grew up on. Even you tanskins from here eat it.” Both come with vegetables, just on this side of edible.

Ale, in short supply, is 2 sp a tankard. For half the price one can get a local specialty…fermented starch root. It tastes like dirt and kerosene, but it gets the job done. For Hyde, they have a tea-like substance. For those that aren’t half-orcs, you need to roll your CHA or HIGHER to be able to consume the rat stew and fermented root instead of chicken and ale.

I assume the plan is to rest here until everyone is restored to full HP? If so, I’ll assume Yenny is using CLWs each day until everyone is back to full HP. If this is the case I can take food/lodging out of the common hoard and advance to where you all are at full health. Let me know…I’ll start another thread for the next delve, and will need confirmation of who’s in/who’s out.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#305 Post by enn.in.me »

The plan of resting with lots of CLWs seems fine with me. I'm certainly in to delve again, and feel like there is not much of interest that needs doing above ground in town, although Yenny would be happy to accompany Hyde on some info gathering and charitable work with the children.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by onlyme »

With that delicious buffet, Dandelion will be tempted to stay in town as long as possible. But, in the interest of providing safety to the others, she will go back into the tunnels asap.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Zhym »

Yup. Heal up and dive back in sounds like a plan to me.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablamicus

Looking at the selections he goes from displeased to looking ill and opts for the chicken and ale without a fuss. He mumbles something about missing the food back home but otherwise doesn't complain until he sees Dandelion ordering the stew and shaking his head in disbelief and then as if begging her not to. He excuses himself from the table for a breath of air outside where he looks around after avoiding re experiencing the chicken he had managed to get down so far. "Maybe that is what the rock of bread was for... to hold it down...hwuuu!" he shakes his head and collects himself again looking at Sophomore. "What would you like to do?
Come back inside or you fancy going out for a flight? Stretch your wings so to speak... I think you deserve a da... night off..."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by AleBelly »

The party rests. Some find the food in Strod more palatable than others. Kablamicus, used to the relative gourmet offerings in Alleborg, suffers mightily. Luckily for him, Yenny's healing powers are so great that she has everyone to full strength in two days. Sophomore enjoys his evening sojourns, finding rats easy to come by. He too is full.

Chet's bedroll is given to half-orc street urchins, who promptly fight over it.

It is early in the morning when the group rises from the barracks, ready to delve again.

I have yet to get an indication if Galan or Figgis will be going down under again. I'll give them a day or two and get things started. In the meantime, please let me know what spells your character will memorize, and any other precautions the party will take.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#311 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny:
1) (3) CLW, (1) Detect Magic, (1) Bless
2) (2) Silence 15', (2) Hold Person
3) (1) Cause Blindness

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by tkrexx »

Ain't nothin' wrong with rat stew, no, Hyde doesn't understand why all the wrinkled noses, I et it alot, yeahh, back in the day. But I want chicken tonight. Too bad they ain't got pig.

Deducted 3sp.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#313 Post by Tamerlaine »

Figgis eats his meal of over cooked chicken without complaint. He's had worse and the rat stew didn't look as had as bad as some of the things he had eaten, or forced to eat. But he wasn't going to eat no damn rat stew, not while he was free not to. And bugger the starch root concoction and bugger all the half-breed orcs that made it, he would say to anyone who would listen.

He had nearly coughed up his spleen when it was agreed to give Chet's coin to some monastery. A monastery! Should've been given out like shares of loot, he thought bitterly as he drank his overpriced ale. He did some fighting, more than he should've, Figgis mused, and they give away Chet's coin away?

He's ready to go back down below, shaking head at them not getting another sword arm to join them.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”